tcl 7.5b3 Win-95 tclsh BUG - only 1 tclsh process allowed
Author Message
 tcl 7.5b3 Win-95 tclsh BUG - only 1 tclsh process allowed

When running the distributed binary of tcl 7.5b3's tclsh (built, I
understand, with the Borland compiler) on Windows 95, I can bring up
two console windows and invoke 2 "tclsh" processes concurrently with no
problems.

I also built tclsh using the Visual C++ 4.0 compiler with the makefile
supplied with 7.5b3. The only changes I made to the makefile were
the documented changes as follows:

# Comment the following line to compile with symbols
# NODEBUG=1

# uncomment the following two lines to compile with TCL_MEM_DEBUG
DEBUGDEFINES    =-DTCL_MEM_DEBUG

When I try to run the "tclsh" built by Vis. C++ 4.0 and this makefile
on Windows 95, I get the following message when typing "tclsh" when
there is already a tclsh running in another window:

tclsh: cannot execute: The process cannot access the file because it is
being used by another process.

Note that the exact same tclsh.exe file runs OK on Windows NT when run
concurrently from 2 console windows. Only 95 shows the problem.

I'll probably rebuild the Tcl stuff tomorrow with NODEBUG=1 and
# DEBUGDEFINES    =-DTCL_MEM_DEBUG (commented out)

but I've gotten saturated with PC trial-and-error based programming, so I
am going to go home & sleep it off. It's at least a combination of
Vis. C++ AND Windows-95, probably also some link option.

Has this behavior been seen elsewhere on 95 only? Thanks

|    "These words are too solid, they don't move fast enough           |
|     to catch the blur in the brain that flies by, and is gone..."    |
|     Suzanne Vega                                                     |

Sun, 04 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. tclsh 8.2 not quitting with control-C (windows 95)

2. background process prevents tclsh from exitting

3. wish won't start with tclsh running

4. Tclsh on Win 3.1

5. tclsh.rc and related startup issues (on Win NT)

6. Compiling own tclsh under win NT

7. BUG: tclsh >= 8.3.3

8. Tclsh 8.4 bug ?

9. Very likely BUGS in tclsh 8.0.5 and 8.1

10. Cmd-Bug in tclsh 8.1a2

11. possible expr - bug in tclsh 8.1a2

12. BUG? Binary handled differently on tclsh and wish