Issues using the exec command in Windows ME?
Author Message
 Issues using the exec command in Windows ME?

I have a customer who has several old MSDOS-based programs that take input
from stdin. I am using TCLPro 1.4.1 to develop a GUI to wrap around these
programs. I build an input file and use the exec command as follows:

    exec <cmd> < <cmd>.in

   Where <cmd> is the name of the program (eg UTILITY)

This works great in Windows 98 and Linux, however when I went to run it on
ME (which is what my customer uses) the exec failed with the error:

    "file or folder <cmd> not found".

Even passing in the absolute path does not work, "c:/bin/<cmd>". I know that
ME made some profound changes to the way it interacts with DOS (removing
autoexec.bat for one), but I don't know what would cause this. Thanks for
your help.

Regards,
Steve

Tue, 03 Feb 2004 00:50:51 GMT
 Issues using the exec command in Windows ME?
As a starting point, be sure there are no issues with spaces in file names.

Move the command to a directory with no spaces in file names, and try it
from there.

Also, try eliminating 8.3 violations and see what happens.

I use Tcl on WinME to compile a book using LaTeX, and it works fine.
However, I am clear of spaces in filenames and 8.3 issues.

The approach I'm recommending isn't scientific.  I'd just say try the
obvious first before getting analytical.  In the future, yo may need to get
analytical.

Dave.

Quote:
> I have a customer who has several old MSDOS-based programs that take input
> from stdin. I am using TCLPro 1.4.1 to develop a GUI to wrap around these
> programs. I build an input file and use the exec command as follows:

>     exec <cmd> < <cmd>.in

>    Where <cmd> is the name of the program (eg UTILITY)

> This works great in Windows 98 and Linux, however when I went to run it on
> ME (which is what my customer uses) the exec failed with the error:

>     "file or folder <cmd> not found".

> Even passing in the absolute path does not work, "c:/bin/<cmd>". I know
that
> ME made some profound changes to the way it interacts with DOS (removing
> autoexec.bat for one), but I don't know what would cause this. Thanks for
> your help.

> Regards,
> Steve

Tue, 03 Feb 2004 14:02:09 GMT
 Issues using the exec command in Windows ME?
Aha!  We have a problem on Windows ME with a simple installation
script for a tclkit + scripted document application available to Joe
Public.   This sounds exactly like it.   I guess we'll have to get a
copy of ME to work on.

--

Tue, 03 Feb 2004 17:02:37 GMT

1. using exec in windows nt exec on tcl scripts

2. issues with exec on Windows NT 4.0

3. Probelm with using UNIX source command with exec

4. strange when exec commands using expect.

5. issue with c library and tcl using load command

6. How to exec print command using NT

7. Using '*'in exec command on UNIX

8. Using exec to run a command with quoted arguments

9. Using the exec command

10. Bug using EXEC command without any shell ...

11. using shell pipe and variables in Tcl exec command

12. problems running commands (like sed) using exec.