TCL/TK rookie...w/ [Qs]...need examples
Author Message
 TCL/TK rookie...w/ [Qs]...need examples

I am writing my first TCL/TK script with painfully slow success.  I have
created a menubar, label, listbox and scrollbar.  When a particular menu
selection is choosen, I exec an SQL script to retrieve some data from a database
to a file and then read file and display in list box.  This takes about five
to ten seconds, I would like to pop up a message window while the exec
is running.  When I used a proc called from the menu selection (-command
{MessageWindow; SQLListBox} like this the MessageWindow toplevel does
not appear until the exec is finished.  Next problem, I want to allow
the user to select any combination of entries from the listbox (by
selecting multiple single or ranges).  Can I have some advice or perhaps
a good place to get some examples that I can learn from. Thanks.

Thu, 08 May 1997 23:38:04 GMT
 TCL/TK rookie...w/ [Qs]...need examples

Quote:

>I am writing my first TCL/TK script with painfully slow success.  I have
>created a menubar, label, listbox and scrollbar.  When a particular menu
>selection is choosen, I exec an SQL script to retrieve some data from a database
>to a file and then read file and display in list box.  This takes about five
>to ten seconds, I would like to pop up a message window while the exec
>is running.  When I used a proc called from the menu selection (-command
>{MessageWindow; SQLListBox} like this the MessageWindow toplevel does
>not appear until the exec is finished.

        You need to throw in an update, see the man page for this command.

Quote:
>Next problem, I want to allow
>the user to select any combination of entries from the listbox (by
>selecting multiple single or ranges).  Can I have some advice or perhaps
>a good place to get some examples that I can learn from. Thanks.

        Listboxes do not support dijoint selections.  You need one of the
extensions for this.  See the man page on the listbox command for how to get
the selected items.

        As for examples, try the widget demo that comes with tk.

* Gerald W. Lester                        !   Voice:  (504)-889-2784     *
* Computerized Processes Unlimited        !   FAX:    (504)-889-2799     *

* Metairie, LA  70001                     !   Hours:  09:00-17:00 CDT    *

Sat, 10 May 1997 11:22:34 GMT

1. Need example of working tcl/tk script used as cgi-bin script

2. TCL/Expect rookie needs help with sending keystrokes

3. Simple Qs: Do I need to uninstall before install

4. dynamic choice change of a combobox (smalltalk rookie needs help)

5. was: Rookie needs Suggestions

6. Was: Rookie needs suggestions

7. Rookie needs suggestions (should be easy?)

8. Rookie needs push...

9. Assembly rookie needs help--2 easy questions

10. Rookie needs advice

11. Newby needs examples of c programs with tk data entry screens

12. rookie needs advice