Basic NUUB how-to question
Author Message
 Basic NUUB how-to question

I'm interested in getting a program similar to one written in Borland
C++ Builder running on my linux machine, and just found vtcl (I have a
few books on the way).

I have a form with a $Widget(entry), $Widget(editor), and
$Widget(pushbutton) on it. When a user clicks on the pushbutton, a file
should open into the editor window. The name of the file would be the
text in $Widget(entry). The cursor in  the editor window should be at
the end of text, ready for appending. When the focus leaves the editor
window, the file should save.

I'm assuming the script would be in the command window for the
push-button. Thanks

Fri, 12 Dec 2008 01:17:21 GMT
 Basic NUUB how-to question
I'm interested in getting a program similar to one written in Borland
C++ Builder running on my linux machine, and just found vtcl (I have a
few books on the way).

I have a form with a $Widget(entry), $Widget(editor), and
$Widget(pushbutton) on it. When a user clicks on the pushbutton, a file
should open into the editor window. The name of the file would be the
text in $Widget(entry). The cursor in  the editor window should be at
the end of text, ready for appending. When the focus leaves the editor
window, the file should save.

I'm assuming the script would be in the command window for the
push-button. Thanks
BB

Fri, 12 Dec 2008 06:28:39 GMT
 Basic NUUB how-to question
Quote:

> I'm interested in getting a program similar to one written in Borland
> C++ Builder running on my linux machine, and just found vtcl (I have a
> few books on the way).

> I have a form with a $Widget(entry), $Widget(editor), and
> $Widget(pushbutton) on it. When a user clicks on the pushbutton, a file
> should open into the editor window. The name of the file would be the
> text in $Widget(entry). The cursor in  the editor window should be at
> the end of text, ready for appending. When the focus leaves the editor
> window, the file should save.

> I'm assuming the script would be in the command window for the
> push-button. Thanks

What exactly is your question?  Sounds like you have a plan on what you
want to do so it seems like you should go do it...

Fri, 12 Dec 2008 16:20:29 GMT
 Basic NUUB how-to question
I haven't found the documentation yet to write the code. As I said, I have a book on the way, and the tutorial doesn't include events like writing to a text widget (it shows how to hide a window).

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 03:20:29 -0500

Quote:

> > I'm interested in getting a program similar to one written in Borland
> > C++ Builder running on my linux machine, and just found vtcl (I have a
> > few books on the way).

> > I have a form with a $Widget(entry), $Widget(editor), and
> > $Widget(pushbutton) on it. When a user clicks on the pushbutton, a file
> > should open into the editor window. The name of the file would be the
> > text in $Widget(entry). The cursor in  the editor window should be at
> > the end of text, ready for appending. When the focus leaves the editor
> > window, the file should save.

> > I'm assuming the script would be in the command window for the
> > push-button. Thanks

> What exactly is your question?  Sounds like you have a plan on what you
> want to do so it seems like you should go do it...

Sat, 13 Dec 2008 01:08:26 GMT
 Basic NUUB how-to question

Quote:

> I'm interested in getting a program similar to one written in Borland
> C++ Builder running on my linux machine, and just found vtcl (I have a
> few books on the way).

Sounds like a simple tcl/tk text editor, with auto-save capability.
Other than the auto-save capability, there are lots of text editors
written in tcl/tk. Take a look over at http://wiki.tcl.tk/TclEditors
for some of these - I hope people are keeping it up to date.

Quote:

> I'm assuming the script would be in the command window for the
> push-button.

I am uncertain what you mean here. Generally, one writes a tcl script,
saves it to a file, and then executes that file. The resulting program
generally starts with an open top level widget called ".", and will
then create widgets which are packed into that frame.

Sat, 13 Dec 2008 20:04:00 GMT
 Basic NUUB how-to question

John Peters schrieb:

Quote:
> I haven't found the documentation yet to write the code. As I said, I have a book on the way, and the tutorial doesn't include events like writing to a text widget (it shows how to hide a window).

Well, the Tclers' Wiki has many examples. See for instance "A minimal
editor explained" http://wiki.tcl.tk/9623 for 26 lines of code that
give you write into text (proc loadText) and read from text (proc
saveText) functionality, and without requiring vtk :)

Sat, 13 Dec 2008 21:17:22 GMT
 Basic NUUB how-to question
On 27 Jun 2006 05:04:00 -0700

Quote:

> > I'm interested in getting a program similar to one written in Borland
> > C++ Builder running on my linux machine, and just found vtcl (I have a
> > few books on the way).

> Sounds like a simple tcl/tk text editor, with auto-save capability.
> Other than the auto-save capability, there are lots of text editors
> written in tcl/tk. Take a look over at http://wiki.tcl.tk/TclEditors
> for some of these - I hope people are keeping it up to date.

> > I'm assuming the script would be in the command window for the
> > push-button.

> I am uncertain what you mean here. Generally, one writes a tcl script,
> saves it to a file, and then executes that file. The resulting program
> generally starts with an open top level widget called ".", and will
> then create widgets which are packed into that frame.

Hi Larry,

I'm trying out Visual TCL, that includes an editor widget, and has command editor windows that open up for components (i.e., widgets) such as the pushbutton widget. (for issuing callback  commands). I'm looking at TCL for the first time, so I'm checking out all resources (including this board) for learning.

Sat, 13 Dec 2008 21:10:32 GMT
 Basic NUUB how-to question
On 27 Jun 2006 06:17:22 -0700

Quote:

> John Peters schrieb:

> > I haven't found the documentation yet to write the code. As I said, I have a book on the way, and the tutorial doesn't include events like writing to a text widget (it shows how to hide a window).

> Well, the Tclers' Wiki has many examples. See for instance "A minimal
> editor explained" http://wiki.tcl.tk/9623 for 26 lines of code that
> give you write into text (proc loadText) and read from text (proc
> saveText) functionality, and without requiring vtk :)

Thanks; I'm not finding a lot of info on Visual TCL, and will pursue the resources within TCL itself; looks like an interesting language.

Sat, 13 Dec 2008 21:13:02 GMT
 Basic NUUB how-to question

Quote:

> Thanks; I'm not finding a lot of info on Visual TCL, and will pursue the resources within TCL itself; looks like an interesting language.

There are at least two Visual Tcl's of which I know. One is a really
really old commercial package designed to work with CDE. The code is
not available, and all the doc of which I am aware was published in a
book about 10 yrs ago.

Another is a GUI based application building program. Any information
we've mentioned about Tcl and Tk to date would apply to using with that
program. There's not much info written about the program - I worked
with some people to get some intro tutorials written back in the day,
but I don't believe I've seen much activity since then. There is, I
seem to recall, a web forum or mailing list for vtcl.

Sun, 14 Dec 2008 01:24:44 GMT
 Basic NUUB how-to question
On 27 Jun 2006 10:24:44 -0700

Quote:

> > Thanks; I'm not finding a lot of info on Visual TCL, and will pursue the resources within TCL itself; looks like an interesting language.

> There are at least two Visual Tcl's of which I know. One is a really
> really old commercial package designed to work with CDE. The code is
> not available, and all the doc of which I am aware was published in a
> book about 10 yrs ago.

> Another is a GUI based application building program. Any information
> we've mentioned about Tcl and Tk to date would apply to using with that
> program. There's not much info written about the program - I worked
> with some people to get some intro tutorials written back in the day,
> but I don't believe I've seen much activity since then. There is, I
> seem to recall, a web forum or mailing list for vtcl.

I'm using Visual TCL, ver 1.6 by Stewart Alan, at vtcl.sourceforge.net.
Based on the almost non-existant activity on their forum, it doesn't seem to have found much of a place among users. Perhaps TCL'ers prefer to do all the coding themselves, I don't know. I'm running Damn Small Linux distro, which included the package in their working apps bin.

Sun, 14 Dec 2008 00:13:06 GMT
 Basic NUUB how-to question

Quote:

> On 27 Jun 2006 10:24:44 -0700

>>> Thanks; I'm not finding a lot of info on Visual TCL, and will pursue the resources within TCL itself; looks like an interesting language.
>> There are at least two Visual Tcl's of which I know. One is a really
>> really old commercial package designed to work with CDE. The code is
>> not available, and all the doc of which I am aware was published in a
>> book about 10 yrs ago.

>> Another is a GUI based application building program. Any information
>> we've mentioned about Tcl and Tk to date would apply to using with that
>> program. There's not much info written about the program - I worked
>> with some people to get some intro tutorials written back in the day,
>> but I don't believe I've seen much activity since then. There is, I
>> seem to recall, a web forum or mailing list for vtcl.

> I'm using Visual TCL, ver 1.6 by Stewart Alan, at vtcl.sourceforge.net.
> Based on the almost non-existant activity on their forum, it doesn't seem to have found much of a place among users. Perhaps TCL'ers prefer to do all the coding themselves, I don't know. I'm running Damn Small Linux distro, which included the package in their working apps bin.

Most people just use their favorite text editor.

Using grid it is very easy to get a GUI looking like you want without having
to use something like Visual Tcl.

--
+--------------------------------+---------------------------------------+
| Gerald W. Lester                                                       |

Sun, 14 Dec 2008 04:09:44 GMT
 Basic NUUB how-to question

                        .
                        .
                        .

Quote:
>I'm using Visual TCL, ver 1.6 by Stewart Alan, at vtcl.sourceforge.net.
>Based on the almost non-existant activity on their forum, it doesn't
>seem to have found much of a place among users. Perhaps TCL'ers prefer
>to do all the coding themselves, I don't know. I'm running Damn Small
>Linux distro, which included the package in their working apps bin.

The great majority of Tcl developers *do* "prefer to do all the
coding themselves".  At the same time, vTcl is warmly regarded.
We're trying to help, but as experts more in Tcl than vTcl (with
a few exceptions--if you're lucky, GWL will check in).

Sun, 14 Dec 2008 04:51:07 GMT
 Basic NUUB how-to question

Quote:

> On 27 Jun 2006 05:04:00 -0700

>> > I'm interested in getting a program similar to one written in Borland
>> > C++ Builder running on my linux machine, and just found vtcl (I have a
>> > few books on the way).

>> Sounds like a simple tcl/tk text editor, with auto-save capability.
>> Other than the auto-save capability, there are lots of text editors
>> written in tcl/tk. Take a look over at http://wiki.tcl.tk/TclEditors
>> for some of these - I hope people are keeping it up to date.

>> > I'm assuming the script would be in the command window for the
>> > push-button.

>> I am uncertain what you mean here. Generally, one writes a tcl script,
>> saves it to a file, and then executes that file. The resulting program
>> generally starts with an open top level widget called ".", and will
>> then create widgets which are packed into that frame.

> Hi Larry,

> I'm trying out Visual TCL, that includes an editor widget, and has command
> editor windows that open up for components (i.e., widgets) such as the
> pushbutton widget. (for issuing callback  commands). I'm looking at TCL
> for the first time, so I'm checking out all resources (including this
> board) for learning.

Try out TKproE at http://tkproe.sourceforge.net/ for an alternative to vtcl.

It's a more recently developed product.

Dennis LaBelle

Sun, 14 Dec 2008 06:17:32 GMT
 Basic NUUB how-to question

Quote:

>                    .
>                    .
>                    .
>> I'm using Visual TCL, ver 1.6 by Stewart Alan, at vtcl.sourceforge.net.
>> Based on the almost non-existant activity on their forum, it doesn't
>> seem to have found much of a place among users. Perhaps TCL'ers prefer
>> to do all the coding themselves, I don't know. I'm running Damn Small
>> Linux distro, which included the package in their working apps bin.

> The great majority of Tcl developers *do* "prefer to do all the
> coding themselves".  At the same time, vTcl is warmly regarded.
> We're trying to help, but as experts more in Tcl than vTcl (with
> a few exceptions--if you're lucky, GWL will check in).

I don't (and never have) used vTcl.

Sorry.

--
+--------------------------------+---------------------------------------+
| Gerald W. Lester                                                       |
|"The man who fights for his ideals is the man who is alive." - Cervantes|

Sun, 14 Dec 2008 06:43:32 GMT
 Basic NUUB how-to question
On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 22:17:32 GMT

Quote:

> > On 27 Jun 2006 05:04:00 -0700

> >> Sounds like a simple tcl/tk text editor, with auto-save capability.
> >> Other than the auto-save capability, there are lots of text editors
> >> written in tcl/tk. Take a look over at http://wiki.tcl.tk/TclEditors
> >> for some of these - I hope people are keeping it up to date.

> >> I am uncertain what you mean here. Generally, one writes a tcl script,
> >> saves it to a file, and then executes that file. The resulting program
> >> generally starts with an open top level widget called ".", and will
> >> then create widgets which are packed into that frame.

> > Hi Larry,

> > I'm trying out Visual TCL, that includes an editor widget, and has command
> > editor windows that open up for components (i.e., widgets) such as the
> > pushbutton widget. (for issuing callback  commands). I'm looking at TCL
> > for the first time, so I'm checking out all resources (including this
> > board) for learning.

> Try out TKproE at http://tkproe.sourceforge.net/ for an alternative to vtcl.

> It's a more recently developed product.

> Dennis LaBelle

Thanks Dennis; I just scanned through the documentation; looks interesting.

Sun, 14 Dec 2008 08:19:28 GMT

 [ 17 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. BASIC to Forth Howto

2. basic file-locking howto ?

3. howto make system calls (newbie question)

4. howto virus question?

5. Postscript & Tcl Question ...HowTo do 2up

6. Question: Howto make a zsh-like interactive tclsh ?

7. Howto question

8. Device Driver: from Apple III BASIC to IBM BASIC

9. Please help Visual Basic Programer with simple read/write text file routine---Real Basic 2.1

10. Visual basic or real basic?

11. UNIBASIC, PIC BASIC or Business Basic

12. Power Basic CC vs Power Basic for DOS