Tcl/Tk reference out off data ?
Author Message
 Tcl/Tk reference out off data ?

I just started to learn tcl/tk. I have Ousterhout's "Tcl
and the Tk Toolkit" and Welch's book. But the examples in
their books about the Tk programming in C could not be
complied. Then I found that Tk_CreateMainWindow() is no
longer supported in the Tk4.1 installed in our system, and
some other functions have different number of arguments,
and so on. Are there some books that are up to date with
current version of Tk ?  I also wonder why the newer versions
do not support the old ones. What if I write a program today
and later find it is not supported by the new version of Tk?

Thanks,

Dayou

Thu, 16 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Tcl/Tk reference out off data ?

Quote:

>I just started to learn tcl/tk. I have Ousterhout's "Tcl
>and the Tk Toolkit" and Welch's book. But the examples in

                        .
                        .
                        .
Quote:
>and so on. Are there some books that are up to date with
>current version of Tk ?  I also wonder why the newer versions

<URL:http://starbase.neosoft.com/~claird/comp.lang.tcl/tcl-references.html...>
Quote:
>do not support the old ones. What if I write a program today
>and later find it is not supported by the new version of Tk?

You'll have a lot of company in that boat.  It's
certainly an issue.  There are plenty of serious
Tcl users out there who rely on Tcl7.3, and are
in no hurry to change, precisely because of
these incompatibilities.  It's a tough chore,
improving Tcl while maintaining compatibility.
My own opinion is that Dr. Ousterhout and his
team hit almost exactly the right balance in
moving the language into its future.
                        .
                        .
                        .
--

Cameron Laird           http://starbase.neosoft.com/~claird/home.html

Fri, 17 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Tcl/Tk reference out off data ?

Quote:

> I just started to learn tcl/tk. I have Ousterhout's "Tcl
> and the Tk Toolkit" and Welch's book. But the examples in
> their books about the Tk programming in C could not be
> complied. Then I found that Tk_CreateMainWindow() is no
> longer supported in the Tk4.1 installed in our system, and
> some other functions have different number of arguments,
> and so on. Are there some books that are up to date with
> current version of Tk ?  I also wonder why the newer versions
> do not support the old ones. What if I write a program today
> and later find it is not supported by the new version of Tk?

> Thanks,

> Dayou

Dayou,

There is a new version of Brent's book that covers Tcl8.0.  Michael
McLennan and Mark Harrison also have a book from Addison Wesley that
will be current with Tcl8.0.

The change from 3.6 to 4.0 was billed as a chance to fix the
major architectural flaws the first try at tcl/tk.  To this end, many
imcompatible changes were introduced.  This was not done lightly, but
it was felt that the advantages were worth the pain.  The story was
somewhat the same with Tcl8.0.  It is a hard call, since we do not
have the resources to both make improvements on the Tcl core, and
maintain complete backwards compatibility.

We try not to cause pain to the developers of Tcl extensions, though
there are some notable cases where we have inadvertently done so.
Perhaps this could be considered character building?

No...

Oh well...

Jim.

+===+===+===+===+===+===+===+===+===+===+===+===+===+===+===

SunScript

+===+===+===+===+===+===+===+===+===+===+===+===+===+===+===

Fri, 17 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Tcl/Tk reference out off data ?

:
:and the Tk Toolkit" and Welch's book. But the examples in
:their books about the Tk programming in C could not be
:complied. Then I found that Tk_CreateMainWindow() is no
:longer supported in the Tk4.1 installed in our system, and
:some other functions have different number of arguments,
:and so on. Are there some books that are up to date with
:current version of Tk ?  I also wonder why the newer versions
:do not support the old ones. What if I write a program today
:and later find it is not supported by the new version of Tk?

Unfortunately, Tcl has gone thru a number of revisions which create
incompatibilities with older code.  While many of these incompatibilities
are listed in the source code distribution's changes file, there is not
always an obvious fix listed, for the novice programmer.

As for a more current book, there are several Tcl books which have
appeared this year and which are more up to date.  See
<URL:http://www.teraform.com/%7Elvirden/tcl-faq/part1.html> for the
list of items - look for books with a 1997 publication date.

In particular, there is a new version of the Welch book which
is available that should help you a lot.

I think that it would be a worthwhile project for someone to go thru
the Ousterhout book and figure out what all needs to change to reflect
at least working examples, then make that info available somewhere on
the WWW.  Perhaps since you are in the midst of learning Tcl you would
be willing to do that.

Fri, 17 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Tcl/Tk reference out off data ?

:> and so on. Are there some books that are up to date with
:> current version of Tk ?  I also wonder why the newer versions

:There is a new version of Brent's book that covers Tcl8.0.  Michael
:McLennan and Mark Harrison also have a book from Addison Wesley that
:will be current with Tcl8.0.

This book, called Effective Tcl, is currently slated for a December 1997
release.  See <URL:http://www.teraform.com/%7Elvirden/tcl-faq/part1.html>
for the full list of books of which I am aware.

Sat, 18 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Tk 8.2 send of binary data to Tk 7.6 application corrupts data

2. ANNOUNCE: The Tcl and Tk Reference Manual

3. old references of TCL/TK

4. TCL TK reference documentation

5. looking for Tcl and Tk Reference Manual

6. Tcl/Tk reference guide updated -- comments requested

7. ANNOUNCE: Tcl/Tk Programmer's Reference

8. Tcl/Tk Programmer's Reference

9. Emacs Info files for Tcl/Tk reference manuals

10. Tcl/Tk reference card?

11. ANNOUNCE:Draft Tcl/Tk Programmer's Reference available

12. ANNOUNCE: Tcl/Tk Reference Site