Volunteer opportunity
Author Message
 Volunteer opportunity

(Hope you don't think I'm spamming....)

Literacy Volunteers changes lives and builds community by strengthening
literacy skills. Through student-centered education, LV helps {*filter*}s
with basic needs in reading, writing or speaking the English language
achieve their goals as individuals, family members, workers and
citizens. Some of these goals include completing a job application,
reading a restaurant menu, reading a doctor's orders when caring for a
loved one, reading to a child or grandchild, and becoming a U.S.
citizen.

I've been volunteering a few hours a week for a couple of years
developing a custom application for the local LV chapter to keep track
of their students, tutors, and pairings. It includes a certain amount
of basic demographics, some history, and exporting for reporting to
various funding agencies. The application is built with Tcl/Tk and
MySQL and runs on a small network of 'Windows computers. Lately, I've
been swamped at my "real" job and haven't been able to do as much for
LV as I'd like. If you're a Tcler who believes in literacy and would
like to lend a hand, I'd be happy to share the load or even transition
the project. Knowledge of RDB concepts and SQL is helpful but not
strictly required. Knowledge of Tcl/Tk, obviously, is essential.
Contact me if you'd be interested in helping out.

                                       Chris

Mon, 08 Dec 2008 22:13:54 GMT
 Volunteer opportunity
On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 16:13:54 +0200, Christopher Nelson

Quote:

> I've been volunteering a few hours a week for a couple of years
> developing a custom application for the local LV chapter to keep track
> of their students, tutors, and pairings. It includes a certain amount
> of basic demographics, some history, and exporting for reporting to
> various funding agencies. The application is built with Tcl/Tk and
> MySQL and runs on a small network of 'Windows computers. Lately, I've
> been swamped at my "real" job and haven't been able to do as much for
> LV as I'd like. If you're a Tcler who believes in literacy and would
> like to lend a hand, I'd be happy to share the load or even transition
> the project. Knowledge of RDB concepts and SQL is helpful but not
> strictly required. Knowledge of Tcl/Tk, obviously, is essential.
> Contact me if you'd be interested in helping out.

Just wondering here - since it is freeware, perhaps it would be a good
idea to put it up on sourceforge or any other opensource hosting service?

I could spend some time occasionally myself, other people might as well if
it's a reasonably maintained code.

Assuming the source code can be made open this would be a good idea. And
maybe something a bit more general would come out of it.

--
WK

Tue, 09 Dec 2008 15:35:00 GMT
 Volunteer opportunity

Quote:

> (Hope you don't think I'm spamming....)

> Literacy Volunteers changes lives and builds community by strengthening
> literacy skills. Through student-centered education, LV helps {*filter*}s
> with basic needs in reading, writing or speaking the English language
> achieve their goals as individuals, family members, workers and
> citizens. Some of these goals include completing a job application,
> reading a restaurant menu, reading a doctor's orders when caring for a
> loved one, reading to a child or grandchild, and becoming a U.S.
> citizen.

> I've been volunteering a few hours a week for a couple of years
> developing a custom application for the local LV chapter to keep track
> of their students, tutors, and pairings. It includes a certain amount
> of basic demographics, some history, and exporting for reporting to
> various funding agencies. The application is built with Tcl/Tk and
> MySQL and runs on a small network of 'Windows computers. Lately, I've
> been swamped at my "real" job and haven't been able to do as much for
> LV as I'd like. If you're a Tcler who believes in literacy and would
> like to lend a hand, I'd be happy to share the load or even transition
> the project. Knowledge of RDB concepts and SQL is helpful but not
> strictly required. Knowledge of Tcl/Tk, obviously, is essential.
> Contact me if you'd be interested in helping out.

>                                        Chris

I tried responding to the original poster by e-mail but my message was
bounced back to me because the recipient is over quota in his mail box.

Chris,

If you manage to read this posting, send me an e-mail. It looks like we have
the same internet service provider which means we live in the same area.

I have lots of database and TCL/TK experience and would like to help.

Dennis LaBelle

Wed, 10 Dec 2008 08:14:18 GMT
 Volunteer opportunity

Quote:

> On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 16:13:54 +0200, Christopher Nelson

> > I've been volunteering a few hours a week for a couple of years
> > developing a custom application for the local LV chapter to keep track
> > of their students, tutors, and pairings. It includes a certain amount
> > of basic demographics, some history, and exporting for reporting to
> > various funding agencies. The application is built with Tcl/Tk and
> > MySQL and runs on a small network of 'Windows computers. Lately, I've
> > been swamped at my "real" job and haven't been able to do as much for
> > LV as I'd like. If you're a Tcler who believes in literacy and would
> > like to lend a hand, I'd be happy to share the load or even transition
> > the project. Knowledge of RDB concepts and SQL is helpful but not
> > strictly required. Knowledge of Tcl/Tk, obviously, is essential.
> > Contact me if you'd be interested in helping out.

> Just wondering here - since it is freeware, perhaps it would be a good
> idea to put it up on sourceforge or any other opensource hosting service?

I've considered that but haven't concluded that it's general interest
enough.

Quote:
> I could spend some time occasionally myself, other people might as well if
> it's a reasonably maintained code.

> Assuming the source code can be made open this would be a good idea. And
> maybe something a bit more general would come out of it.

Perhaps you're right.  I'll think on that some more.

Sat, 13 Dec 2008 01:08:23 GMT

1. CALL FOR PARTICIPANTS, VOLUNTEERS: "3D Media for the Web: Business Opportunities" symposium, Nov. 7

2. CALL FOR VOLUNTEERS: "3D Media for the Web: Business Opportunities"

3. volunteer programmers / hackers needed

4. Quote Quad Advertising Co-ordinator volunteer position open

5. SIGAPL -urgently- needs volunteers

6. OSXFoundry looking for RealBasic Guru Volunteer

7. Volunteers Wanted - Smalltalk Solutions

8. Anyone need a volunteer Smalltalk programmer?

9. Volunteers for DiskOS project

10. Open Clarion Project - Looking for volunteers

11. Volunteer Programmer

12. Looking for object-oriented volunteers