Informix 7.2x with Tcl/Tk 8.0
Author Message
 Informix 7.2x with Tcl/Tk 8.0

Hy out there,

I've just downloaded the adabas d tck/tk extension and it worked fine. Due
to the fact that there is no equivalent package for the informix database
server, I decided to write my own extension for informix. This adabas
package is really a high quality thing in terms of autoconfiguration,
support for windos etc. so what i did so far is :

1. renamed all function, variables etc from adabas to informix

2. adapted configure.in to produce working Makefiles

So now I've a informix called package working fine with a adabas kernel.
SInce all the database communication things has to be adapted for informix
and new features has to be added ( and not supported features has to be
deleted as well ) I'm looking for some people who are interested in
building up this package together with me. So far all the administrative
things had be done and the package consists of about 10 pieces of source
code with approx. 1200 lines of code each compiling and linking with no
errors. A Informixtclsh, Informixwish, libinformixtcl.so are working fine
(on a adabas database).

If anyone is interested, let me know, because in my opinion informix ist
the only database with a lack of Tcl/tk support in a high quality manner.

Fri, 17 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Informix 7.2x with Tcl/Tk 8.0

:to the fact that there is no equivalent package for the informix database
:server, I decided to write my own extension for informix. This adabas

You might talk to a number of the folk who have written tcl packages for
informix to see about integrating the features you felt are missing into
one or more of their packages.  For instance, when I look in
<URL:http://www.teraform.com/%7Elvirden/tcl-faq/> I see things like:

What: Sibylla
Where: <URL:http://www.cib.unibo.it/guests/ariadne/sibylla/>
        Sibylla allows access to data stored in databases, indexed HTML
        files, or, in general to data management by a server-side application.
        Sibylla 2.0 supports BasisPlus, Informix, Ingres, Microsoft SQL
        Server, mSQL, Oracle, and Sybase.  The WWW interface module for
        Sibylla is free.  The various database modules have varying prices
        depending on the database.  See the WWW site for details.
Updated: 11/1996

What: Informix support (Kuhn)
Where: <URL:http://www.iiug.org/members/memb_software/archive/tclsql>
        <URL:http://www.iiug.org/members/memb_software/archive/tcl4gl>
Updated: 09/1997

What: Informix support (Kumar)
Where: <URL:ftp://ftp.neosoft.com/languages/tcl/sorted/databases/isqltcl3.2/isql
tcl3.2.tar.gz>
        <URL:ftp://ftp.neosoft.com/languages/tcl/sorted/databases/sql_tcl/sql_tc
l.tar.gz>
        full blown support for INFORMIX in Tcl/Tk.  Now at version 3.0.
        This version works with Informix versions [457].x as well as
        Tcl 7.x/Tk 4.x.  Contains support for Binary Large Objects and
        Text datatypes.  A windowing version of isql, based on the
        WISQL package (which requires tclX) is also available.
Updated: 03/1997

What: Informix interface (Levy)
Where: From the contact
Updated:

What: RDB extension
Where: <URL:ftp://ccfadm.eeg.ccf.org/pub/ctk/rdb.tar.Z>
        Based loosely on DBperl.  Can support modules such as informix,
        oracle, ingres, etc. but only provides informix.
Updated: 11/1996

What: WTK
Where: <URL:http://www.bj-ig.de/wtk.html>
        to provide a GUI front end to F4GL, which is an Informix-4GL clone.
        Runs on all Windows platforms, provides native Windows or Tk Windows
        widgets, comes with a fast debugging terminal with vi or emacs
        editing capabilities.  Has a new Tk terminal widget with 3D look
        and special Tcl eval capabilities.  Has Tcl wrappings of winsock and
        DDE (along with many Windows API functions).  Has Tcl based tcp
        send functionality.  Has built in debugging capabilities for
        Windows messages.  Has extensions for running FGL2C compiled
        programs.
Updated: 09/1997

which granted are not all 100% informix, certainly have the beginnings of
such support.

Sat, 18 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Informix 7.2x with Tcl/Tk 8.0

Sorry, I Missed the begining of this thread ....

     :to the fact that there is no equivalent package for the informix database
     :server, I decided to write my own extension for informix. This adabas

     What: Informix support (Kumar)
     Where: <URL:ftp://ftp.neosoft.com/languages/tcl/sorted/databases/isqltcl3.2/isqlt...>
             <URL:ftp://ftp.neosoft.com/languages/tcl/sorted/databases/sql_tcl/sql_tcl....>
             full blown support for INFORMIX in Tcl/Tk.  Now at version 3.0.
             This version works with Informix versions [457].x as well as
             Tcl 7.x/Tk 4.x.  Contains support for Binary Large Objects and
             Text datatypes.  A windowing version of isql, based on the
             WISQL package (which requires tclX) is also available.
     Updated: 03/1997

I'm using this package with Informix OnLine 7.x and Tcl 7.4. It works usually
fine (and also have a client support "istar" for accessing Informix from a remote
client). Just note that I've tried several times to reach the author with no
success. This package have a small bug that you should be aware of:

I was unable to execute a stored procedures that do not return a value - running
an SQL like "execute procedure DoNothing()" will (at most cases) give an error
"Procedure DoNothing did not return enough values". As I said, I could not reach the
author to report this but I guess you can find workarounds for this.

I don't know about converting to tcl8.0 bug I guess it is possible With some effort.
I must comliment this pakage for a wonderfully easy API - if someone is going to
write a new package you could borrow some ideas for its API.

Hope this gives you more information.

Nir Levy
--
Nir Levy,                  The above opinions are my own,

                         --
         I didn't do it; Nobody saw me do it;
       You can't prove anything;  -Bart Simpson

Sun, 19 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Informix 7.2x with Tcl/Tk 8.0

Quote:
> Hy out there,

> I've just downloaded the adabas d tck/tk extension and it worked fine. Due
> to the fact that there is no equivalent package for the informix database
> server, I decided to write my own extension for informix. This adabas
> package is really a high quality thing in terms of autoconfiguration,
> support for windos etc. so what i did so far is :

> 1. renamed all function, variables etc from adabas to informix

> 2. adapted configure.in to produce working Makefiles

<snip>

Quote:

> If anyone is interested, let me know, because in my opinion informix ist
> the only database with a lack of Tcl/tk support in a high quality manner.

We've been using isqltcl3.2.d for some time between tcl7.6b1/tk4.2b1 and
OnLine V5. I've made a few changes (must give them back to someone??)
Lovely interface.

Regards,
Andy.

--
=-~-=-~-=-~-=-~-=-~-=-~-=-~-=-~-=-~-=-~-=-~-=-~-=-~-=-~-=-~-=-~-=

=-~-=-~-=-~-=-~-=-~-=-~-=-~-=-~-=-~-=-~-=-~-=-~-=-~-=-~-=-~-=-~-=

Sun, 19 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Mixing Xevents and Tcl/Tk events with tcl/tk version 8.0/8.2

2. Informix Database usage via Tcl 8.0

3. tcl/tk 8.0 problem with Windows app that calls tcl/tk script

4. Problems with HP-UX 8.0 and Tcl/TK 8.0

5. ANNOUNCE: Tcl 8.0 and Tk 8.0 releases

6. Bug Found in Tcl 8.0/Tk 8.0

7. Is Tcl-DP for tcl/tk 8.0 available?

8. Hypothe'tcl's in Tcl/Tk 8.0 and Plugins

9. Informix and Tcl/TK

10. pre-built tcl/tk with informix support

11. Informix Interface to Tcl/TK

12. Tcl/Tk for Informix databases - isqltcl