ANNOUNCE: freeWrap 6.0 released
Author Message
 ANNOUNCE: freeWrap 6.0 released

This message announces the release of freeWrap version 6.0

The freeWrap program turns TCL/TK scripts into single-file binary executable
programs. freeWrap can wrap TCL/TK applications that consist of multiple
script and binary files. freeWrap combines all the files together into a
single executable file.

freeWrap 6.0 is based on TCL/TK 8.4.8

freeWrap executables are freely available for both Linux and Windows.

Instructions and source code for building freeWrap on both Windows and UNIX
platforms is also freely available.

The following additional variations of freeWrap are also available for
download:

     freewrapPLUS        a windowing application that includes TCL/TK along
with the BLT and TkTable extensions
     freewrapTCLSH       a console-only application which includes only TCL.

Please visit the freeWrap home page:

          http://www.*-*-*.com/

Changes implemented in version 6.0
------------------------------------
   1. FreeWrap 6.0 is based on TCL/TK 8.4.8.

   2. Windows versions of freeWrap now contain Winico extension version 0.5.
This update allows loading of icons directly from files contained within
freeWrapped applications.

   3. FreeWrap was modified to use TCL's newer Virtual File System hooks.
This improves access to the files contained in freeWrap's ZIP Virtual File
System (ZVFS). Commands such as glob, encoding and file now treat the ZVFS
files like normal files.

   4. UPX compression is once again used on the Windows versions. This
results in a smaller executable file.

   5. The TkTable extension is now included along with the BLT extension and
the resulting application has been named freewrapPLUS.

   6. The ::zvfs::filecopy command has been eliminated. The normal [file
copy] command works fine and should now be used instead.

   7. Although the glob command now works properly on ZVFS files
the ::zvfs::list command has been maintained since it provides slightly
different functionality.

   8. Wrapping more than 64 files at once caused freeWrap to fail at the
time of wrapping. This limitation has been removed.

   9. Added a missing semicolon to freeWrap procedures shell_getCmds and
shell_getCmd_imp.

  10. Corrected behavior of [info script] command for file paths that
include spaces.

  11. The wish console no longer pops-up when first starting a wrapped
program.

Fri, 22 Jun 2007 08:49:02 GMT
 ANNOUNCE: freeWrap 6.0 released

Quote:

> freeWrap 6.0 is based on TCL/TK 8.4.8

Tcl/Tk release 8.4.8 had some problems, and Tcl/Tk 8.4.9 has now been
released to correct them.  I'd advise any project to base on 8.4.9
and leave 8.4.8 behind.

--
| Don Porter          Mathematical and Computational Sciences Division |

| http://math.nist.gov/~DPorter/                                  NIST |

Fri, 22 Jun 2007 23:46:12 GMT
 ANNOUNCE: freeWrap 6.0 released

Quote:

> This message announces the release of freeWrap version 6.0

> The freeWrap program turns TCL/TK scripts into single-file binary executable
> programs. freeWrap can wrap TCL/TK applications that consist of multiple
> script and binary files. freeWrap combines all the files together into a
> single executable file.

> freeWrap 6.0 is based on TCL/TK 8.4.8

> freeWrap executables are freely available for both Linux and Windows.

> Instructions and source code for building freeWrap on both Windows and UNIX
> platforms is also freely available.

> The following additional variations of freeWrap are also available for
> download:

>      freewrapPLUS        a windowing application that includes TCL/TK along
> with the BLT and TkTable extensions
>      freewrapTCLSH       a console-only application which includes only TCL.

> Please visit the freeWrap home page:

>           http://freewrap.sourceforge.net

> Changes implemented in version 6.0
> ------------------------------------
>    1. FreeWrap 6.0 is based on TCL/TK 8.4.8.

>    2. Windows versions of freeWrap now contain Winico extension version 0.5.
> This update allows loading of icons directly from files contained within
> freeWrapped applications.

>    3. FreeWrap was modified to use TCL's newer Virtual File System hooks.
> This improves access to the files contained in freeWrap's ZIP Virtual File
> System (ZVFS). Commands such as glob, encoding and file now treat the ZVFS
> files like normal files.

>    4. UPX compression is once again used on the Windows versions. This
> results in a smaller executable file.

>    5. The TkTable extension is now included along with the BLT extension and
> the resulting application has been named freewrapPLUS.

>    6. The ::zvfs::filecopy command has been eliminated. The normal [file
> copy] command works fine and should now be used instead.

>    7. Although the glob command now works properly on ZVFS files
> the ::zvfs::list command has been maintained since it provides slightly
> different functionality.

>    8. Wrapping more than 64 files at once caused freeWrap to fail at the
> time of wrapping. This limitation has been removed.

>    9. Added a missing semicolon to freeWrap procedures shell_getCmds and
> shell_getCmd_imp.

>   10. Corrected behavior of [info script] command for file paths that
> include spaces.

>   11. The wish console no longer pops-up when first starting a wrapped
> program.

Will the changes to the glob command make it possible to wrap binary
extensions w/o resorting to the mechanism described in the documentation
wherein the extension has to be copied out to a temporary location on
disk and then loaded from there?

Thanks
Jim

Sun, 24 Jun 2007 02:46:39 GMT
 ANNOUNCE: freeWrap 6.0 released

Quote:

> Will the changes to the glob command make it possible to wrap binary
> extensions w/o resorting to the mechanism described in the documentation
> wherein the extension has to be copied out to a temporary location on
> disk and then loaded from there?

The capabilities of the glob command have nothing to do with the ability to
load binary extensions. The loading of binary shared libraries is a
function of the operating system. The operating systems, themselves, have
no mechanism for recognizing virtual file systems.

So the answer is No. Binary extensions must still be copied to the physical
file system in order to load them.

Dennis LaBelle

Mon, 25 Jun 2007 08:14:47 GMT
 ANNOUNCE: freeWrap 6.0 released
Quote:

>>Will the changes to the glob command make it possible to wrap binary
>>extensions w/o resorting to the mechanism described in the documentation
>>wherein the extension has to be copied out to a temporary location on
>>disk and then loaded from there?

> The capabilities of the glob command have nothing to do with the ability to
> load binary extensions. The loading of binary shared libraries is a
> function of the operating system. The operating systems, themselves, have
> no mechanism for recognizing virtual file systems.

> So the answer is No. Binary extensions must still be copied to the physical
> file system in order to load them.

> Dennis LaBelle

Thanks for the clarification.....I incorrectly assumed that the section
of the freewrap_howto where it says...."

TCL's package search mechanism uses the glob command to recursively
search directories specified in the auto_path variable to find packages.
Unfortunately the glob command does not do the same for Virtual File
System (VFS) files or their directories. This means TCL's package
require command will not descend subdirectories when searching for
packages. However, the fix for this is simple. Add the desired package's
file path to the auto_path variable before using the package require
command. This can be done with two lines of code similar to..."

was somehow related to the issue of loading binary extension packages
and needing to have copy them from the VFS to disk.    I will plan on
using the copy to disk approach outlined in the doc.

Jim

Mon, 25 Jun 2007 08:56:12 GMT

1. ANNOUNCE: freeWrap 6.2 released - Now with encryption

2. ANNOUNCE: freeWrap 6.1 released

3. ANNOUNCE: freeWrap 5.61 released

4. ANNOUNCE: freeWrap 5.6 released

5. ANNOUNCE: Release of freeWrap version 5.5

6. ANNOUNCE: freeWrap version 5.4 released

7. ANNOUNCE: freeWrap version 5.3 released

8. ANNOUNCE: freeWrap 5.2 released

9. ANNOUNCE: freeWrap 5.1 released

10. ANNOUNCE: freeWrap 5.0 released

11. ANNOUNCE: freeWrap 4.4 released