Temporary files not getting deleted (or created!)
Author Message
 Temporary files not getting deleted (or created!)

I've got a stand-alone Tcl/Tk exe on Windows that is generating a lot
(like 25 or so) temporary files in "\Documents and
Settings\USERNAME\temp (or Local Data\temp) when the program starts up.
 The files are named sequentially (TCL10.tmp, TCL11.tmp...) and the
sequence is hex (i.e., once we get to TCL19.tmp it goes to TCL1A.tmp up
to TCL1F.tmp then starts again at TCL20.tmp etc.

This is a multiuser system (lots of people using the same exe file on a
Citrix Metaframe server but I can see the same effect on my single user
home (XP Pro) system.  If more than one instance of the program is run
(or it is run, quit, then run again) the files just keep getting
created.  An interesting note is that all of the files are tagged with
the same creation date (3/10/2004 in my case) except for one or two
which are even earlier than that (2002 range).

I suspect that these are files that are in the VFS that are moved to a
temporary location at program start up and are never getting deleted.

What are these files?  Since it is a multi-user system, how can I
safely get rid of them?  In the space of 10 minutes on the phone with
the client, we watch the number of these files grow by about 100 (lots
of people logging in while we were watching).  What is going on here
and can I solve the problem?

Thanks!!

Len Morgan

Sun, 05 Oct 2008 19:59:36 GMT
 Temporary files not getting deleted (or created!)

Quote:

> I suspect that these are files that are in the VFS that are moved to a
> temporary location at program start up and are never getting deleted.

This suspicion looks very plausible.

The best solution is probably to modify the application to
not pack certain types of files into vfs.  vfs really only
makes sense for files that are actually "used" through the
vfs.  Files (like excutables or dynlibs) that have to be
extracted to normal fs, shouldn't be packed into a vfs in
the first place, except for "run-once" installers.

Unfortunately, the new "tm" module-system even encourages
this morony by explictitly discouraging any separate files.

Sun, 05 Oct 2008 20:47:05 GMT

1. Creating temporary file names

2. Creating a temporary file for reports

3. create temporary files?

4. creating temporary files

5. Creating temporary files

6. newbie - creating temporary files

7. Topspeed - CW2003 File Convert gets File Not Found

8. Problem : File gets deleted when a read and write operation is attempted

9. Creating/Deleting Log Files

10. Create-Delete tmp Files

11. Create and delete files

12. Deleted procs not deleted???