mac python and mac tcp?
Author Message
 mac python and mac tcp?

Has anyone done any work to make Mac python interface with MacTCP? Is
anyone planning it? I don't think we even have a C compiler for the
macintoshes here (they're administrative machines) so I wouldn't even be
able to start a port :-( but if I could write apps in python for them
that could talk to the rest of the network, it would make life soooo
much easier.

Oh, a simpler thing - is it possible to make a mac document show up as a
'python document', so it invokes python when you click it. ('scuse the
novice mac questions, I'm a unix geek. :-)

Anthony

Sun, 13 Apr 1997 18:23:04 GMT
 mac python and mac tcp?

Quote:

>Has anyone done any work to make Mac Python interface with MacTCP? Is
>anyone planning it? I don't think we even have a C compiler for the
>macintoshes here (they're administrative machines) so I wouldn't even be
>able to start a port :-( but if I could write apps in python for them
>that could talk to the rest of the network, it would make life soooo
>much easier.

Yes, that's the next project on my list. I'm now sufficiently fluent
in MacOS interfaces that I expect to have something in another month
or so. It'll probably be a C-interface to the MacTCP API with a socket
interface grafted on top of that in python. If you're in a hurry and
would prefer to do it yourself, however: by all means, be my guest!

Quote:
>Oh, a simpler thing - is it possible to make a mac document show up as a
>'python document', so it invokes python when you click it. ('scuse the
>novice mac questions, I'm a unix geek. :-)

Yes. You have to set creator/type to PYTH/TEXT (or, for cached code
files, PYTH/PYC , but this is already done by the interpreter). You
can do this in many ways, using ResEdit 'Get Info' for instance or
some drag-and-drop typer utility, but what I do nowadays is to use
BBEdit as editor, and you can tell it about file types so it will save
the correct type (semi-)automatically.
Jack Jansen        | If I can't dance I don't want to be part of

uunet!cwi.nl!jack    G=Jack;S=Jansen;O=cwi;PRMD=surf;ADMD=400net;C=nl

Mon, 14 Apr 1997 18:11:18 GMT

1. TCP/IP on the Mac from VisualWorks

2. Mac tcp-ip in VW

3. TCP/IP vs MAC address

4. TCP/IP interface for Mac Allegro CL

5. V/Mac<->V/Win (TCP?)

6. TCP for MAC ?

7. TCP for MAC

8. Product Announcement - APL.68000 Level II for Mac and Power Mac

9. Mac Developer, with C++( or smalltalk), Power Plant, Mac OS,OO can you help

10. Mac Developer, with C++( or smalltalk), Power Plant, Mac OS,OO needed

11. Mac Developers., with C++( or smalltalk), Power Plant,Mac OS,OO experience help needed

12. Can a Mac Developer, with C++( or smalltalk), Power Plant, Mac OS,OO needed