httplib: response.read() vs response.read(size)
Author Message
 httplib: response.read() vs response.read(size)

We're developing a website load testing application
( http://www.*-*-*.com/ ).  We give httplib a pretty good workout.  And
generally get excellent results.  Recently, we ran into a pair of unrelated
sites that use some form of graphics server (Netscape-Enterprise/4.1).
There, our simulated users hung up waiting for a read on the socket in the
httplib.HTTPResponse.read().  The code looks like this (with a lot of
deletions)

self._client = httplib.HTTPConnection("", None)
response = self._client.getresponse()
self._data = response.read()

I was able to work around this with the following:

if response.length:
    self._data = response.read(response.length)
else:
    self._data = response.read()

My question is:  should this be moved up into httplib.HTTPResponse.read()?
I'm posting this here, instead of sending a bug or a diff to SourceForge
because I really don't understand the new HTTP 1.1 state machine in httplib,
and I don't want to aggravate the developers with bogus bugs or dumb patches
while they're working on 2.1.
--
Doug Fort
Senior Meat Manager

Tue, 22 Jul 2003 09:28:49 GMT

1. reading through server response..

2. Summary of responses to free format read of character and real

3. Reading a response into a variable

4. Function return values revisted (response to response)

5. Python 2.1.1 ASP/Response object does not HONOR Response.End()

6. Slightly Off Topic : restrictions on the response part in a SOAP-response

7. Question about httplib and HTTP response 100 Continue

8. bug in httplib for HTTP/1.1 responses

9. OT: top-posting vs. inline responses

10. F8X response, MODULE vs. INCLUDE, ALLOCATE

11. F8X response, MODULE vs. INCLUD

12. hybrid vs pure OOPLs : a summary of responses