ANNOUNCE: CodeMagic Universal IDE for Win32 (Free Perl IDE)
Author Message
 ANNOUNCE: CodeMagic Universal IDE for Win32 (Free Perl IDE)

Quote:

> NOW AVAILABLE, this is the first FREE IDE for Perl (and other languages)
> for the Win32 system in the world. It also happens to be the best. It
> is free for download from this site. It is published purely for the benefit
> of the Perl community, and to eliminate the need for the poor quality
> commercial software currently available for Perl. It's features include:
> 1.  Very customizable, muli-language editor with user-customizable
> syntax highlighting (Perl, Html, Java, C, C++, Delphi, Pascal,
> Python, Sql, Lisp, Batch Files, and of course Text), AutoCorrection,
> Template Completion, and other niceties. Main emphasis is on
> Perl.

I normally don't like to flame, but I think you have a lot of guts to
claim support for Python.  Your editor doesn't even do python syntax
highlighting!  I understand this is a beta, but I would recommend that
you refrain from posting in this newsgroup again until your Python
support is better.  Besides, in this newsgroup we're not used to be
yelled at.  FREE is no big deal, since everything in the Python world
is free.  I understand that you're giving away the binaries of you
program, but not the source code.  Have you ever heard of open source?
Do your homework ( http://www.*-*-*.com/ ) and then come back.  Or
are you going to do a bait-and-switch on us?  Get us hooked on the
free dope, and then sell us the professional version for mucho
dollars?

We appreciate free tools is much as the next guy, but this sounds like
a bum deal to me.

--Guido van Rossum (home page: http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~guido/)

Sat, 02 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 ANNOUNCE: CodeMagic Universal IDE for Win32 (Free Perl IDE)

Amen, my brother!  You tell 'em!

-=-marduk-=-

Guido van Rossum says:

Quote:

>I normally don't like to flame, but I think you have a lot of guts to
>claim support for Python.  Your editor doesn't even do Python syntax
>highlighting!  I understand this is a beta, but I would recommend that
>you refrain from posting in this newsgroup again until your Python
>support is better.  Besides, in this newsgroup we're not used to be
>yelled at.  FREE is no big deal, since everything in the Python world
>is free.  I understand that you're giving away the binaries of you
>program, but not the source code.  Have you ever heard of open source?
>Do your homework (http://www.opensource.org) and then come back.  Or
>are you going to do a bait-and-switch on us?  Get us hooked on the
>free dope, and then sell us the professional version for mucho
>dollars?

>We appreciate free tools is much as the next guy, but this sounds like
>a bum deal to me.

>--Guido van Rossum (home page: http://www.python.org/~guido/)

"If you don't want your dog to have bad breath, do what I do:  Pour a little
Lavoris in the toilet."
                -- Jay Leno

http://manson.ddns.org/

Sun, 03 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 ANNOUNCE: CodeMagic Universal IDE for Win32 (Free Perl IDE)
[someone, in response to my flame of a free perl/python development tool]

Quote:
> > Amen, my brother!  You tell 'em!

[pete, the author of said tool]

Quote:
> Guido, I think it might be helpful to describe the results of our
> conversation. I thought we decided we were on good terms. :)

Indeed we are.  Pet has explained to me his reasons for announcing his
development environment before the Python support was ready.  I
wouldn't risk paraphrasing his words or posting the mail he sent me in
private, but the bottom line is that Python support is next on his
list.

Mon, 04 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 ANNOUNCE: CodeMagic Universal IDE for Win32 (Free Perl IDE)
An editor for Python that I haven't mentioned is Cooledit.  It can be
programmed with Python macros.  See

http://www.netins.net/showcase/Comput-IT/cooledit/index.html

Dave Cook

Mon, 04 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. CodeMagic IDE: Call for Python Feature Requests

2. universal IDE

3. Universal IDE

4. Universal IDE

5. IDE or Enhanced-IDE?