Python and Computer Algebra Systems --- is it done?
Author Message
 Python and Computer Algebra Systems --- is it done?

Hello all,

I am new to python and this may be old news to everyone else,
but here goes.

I would like to use Python to do symbolic calculations like one may do
with Maxima, Derive, Maple, Mathematica, MuPad, or other such
packages.

I do know that Scientific Notepad uses the Maple kernel or the MuPad
kernel to do the actual math work. Perhaps Python could use the Maxima
kernel?

The question is really --- has anyone yet used Python to do any
symbolic math?

Thanks in advance,

Joe Potter

Thu, 06 Nov 2003 20:49:55 GMT
 Python and Computer Algebra Systems --- is it done?

Quote:
> The question is really --- has anyone yet used Python to do any
> symbolic math?

YES!!!

Check out
        http://cens.ioc.ee/projects/pyginac/

PyGiNaC uses C++ library GiNaC (www.ginac.de) for the kernel and
Boost.Python for exposing it to Python.

If you get the latest PyGiNaC from its CVS, then you'll need also the
latest CVS version of GiNaC-0.8.(3 and half).

Regards,
        Pearu

Thu, 06 Nov 2003 21:16:43 GMT
 Python and Computer Algebra Systems --- is it done?

Hi,

There is a GNU project on CA functionality called Ginac. It is basically
C++ library with objects such as terms and equations. Looks good and
seems
to be actively developed. Recently, someone posted a Python binding to
this
library.

Have a look at: http://www.ginac.de

Lars

Quote:

> Hello all,

> I am new to Python and this may be old news to everyone else,
> but here goes.

> I would like to use Python to do symbolic calculations like one may do
> with Maxima, Derive, Maple, Mathematica, MuPad, or other such
> packages.

> I do know that Scientific Notepad uses the Maple kernel or the MuPad
> kernel to do the actual math work. Perhaps Python could use the Maxima
> kernel?

> The question is really --- has anyone yet used Python to do any
> symbolic math?

> Thanks in advance,

> Joe Potter

> --

  vonWedel.vcf
< 1K Download

Thu, 06 Nov 2003 21:07:20 GMT
 Python and Computer Algebra Systems --- is it done?

Quote:

>> The question is really --- has anyone yet used Python to do any
>> symbolic math?

>YES!!!

>Check out
>    http://cens.ioc.ee/projects/pyginac/

>PyGiNaC uses C++ library GiNaC (www.ginac.de) for the kernel and
>Boost.Python for exposing it to Python.

>If you get the latest PyGiNaC from its CVS, then you'll need also the
>latest CVS version of GiNaC-0.8.(3 and half).

>Regards,
>    Pearu

Thanks, but I need a little further advice.

I am using Python under Window 98 on this machine.

I followed the long trail of needed software and downloaded something
called CyqWin. This resides at c:\cyqwin on this machine. It put a
desktop link that runs a bash shell and the gcc compiler seems to be
known. The only problem is I now have two versions of Python 2.1 ---
one at C:\cyqwin\python and one at C:\Python21 --- but this is no big
deal.

I also have something called cln at c:\cyqwin\cln\cln-1.1.tar.gz
and ginac at c:\cyqwin\ginac\ginac-0.8.3.tar.bz2.tar (yes! two tars in
that one)

I also have an animal named pyginac at
C:\pyginac\pyginac-0.465.tar.gz.

So, how do I unpack tar/bz2/gz ? Suppose cyqwin has the software there
somewhere?

After it is unpacked --- what in the world do I do with it to get
pyginac to work with my Python21 IDLE interface??

Any comment would be greatly appreciated.

Regards, Joe

Fri, 07 Nov 2003 08:04:57 GMT
 Python and Computer Algebra Systems --- is it done?

 <snip>
Quote:
> I also have something called cln at c:\cyqwin\cln\cln-1.1.tar.gz and
> ginac at c:\cyqwin\ginac\ginac-0.8.3.tar.bz2.tar (yes! two tars in that
> one)

> I also have an animal named pyginac at C:\pyginac\pyginac-0.465.tar.gz.

> So, how do I unpack tar/bz2/gz ? Suppose cyqwin has the software there
> somewhere?

<snip>

<delurk>
I don't know much about cygwin, but if it comes with the standard GNU zip
(gzip/gunzip) or GNU bzip (bzip2/bunzip2), then decompressing a tarball
is a matter of 'tar xzf <filename>' for a .tar.gz and 'tar xjf
<filename>' for a .tar.bz2.

HTH

Mart
</delurk>

--
Gimme back my steel, gimme back my nerve
Gimme back my youth for the dead man's curve

Fri, 07 Nov 2003 16:13:44 GMT
 Python and Computer Algebra Systems --- is it done?
On Mon, 21 May 2001 10:13:44 +0200, "Mart van de Wege"

Quote:

> <snip>
>> I also have something called cln at c:\cyqwin\cln\cln-1.1.tar.gz and
>> ginac at c:\cyqwin\ginac\ginac-0.8.3.tar.bz2.tar (yes! two tars in that
>> one)

>> I also have an animal named pyginac at C:\pyginac\pyginac-0.465.tar.gz.

>> So, how do I unpack tar/bz2/gz ? Suppose cyqwin has the software there
>> somewhere?
><snip>

><delurk>
>I don't know much about cygwin, but if it comes with the standard GNU zip
>(gzip/gunzip) or GNU bzip (bzip2/bunzip2), then decompressing a tarball
>is a matter of 'tar xzf <filename>' for a .tar.gz and 'tar xjf
><filename>' for a .tar.bz2.

>HTH

>Mart
></delurk>

Thanks Mart,

I was able to use tar to unpack 2 out of 3 --- not bad for these sorts
of things.

tar xzf pyginac-0.465.tar.gz choked and told me that the file was not
in gzip format.

The other two files are unpacked.

I guess the file must be corrupted.

I'll try another download.

Regards, Joe

Fri, 07 Nov 2003 20:39:47 GMT
 Python and Computer Algebra Systems --- is it done?
You said,

Quote:
> The question is really --- has anyone yet used Python to do any
> symbolic math?

If someone hasn't told you yet, you should definately check out Pythonica,

     http://www.strout.net/info/coding/python/pythonica.html

It is not a full featured CAS, but it does show how to do symbolic math in Python.

Sat, 08 Nov 2003 10:06:48 GMT

1. computer algebra systems and apl

2. jacal1a0 computer algebra system available

3. Computer Algebra System

4. New Computer Algebra System

5. Computer Systems Support Analyst III - Dallas, TX 7/2/98 10:43:35 AM

6. Forth and Computer Algebra

7. computer algebra and fp

8. Computer Algebra in ML

9. SUMMARY: Computer Algebra in ML

10. computer algebra

11. Requesting information on Symbolic Algebra systems

12. What am I doing wrong!