Python for Software Engineering 
Author Message
 Python for Software Engineering

Hi.  I'm going to be teaching a short course on software engineering to some
science and engineering types, and am trying to decide what language to use.
Perl is the default choice (since my co-instructors are very familiar with
it, it's
widely used, there are a lot of books, etc.), but I'd like to explore
alternatives.
I'd therefore like to know if python has a full GUI de{*filter*} (not just
pdb-in-a-window), complete with conditional breakpoints, structure
navigation,
and logging.  Pointers would be very welcome.
Thanks,
Greg Wilson



Sun, 06 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 Python for Software Engineering

Python has no GUI de{*filter*} that I'm aware of (but this doesn't mean
there isn't one.) However, if you're really interested in teaching
software engineering, I'd strongly recommend that whatever language
you use, _don't_ use Perl. I've used Perl happily for many years
(was a relatively early adopter), but using it for large projects
is simply pressing the language past the limits of where it should
go. Particularly with modules, data structures, and OO programming,
the quirks that Perl has acquired make it difficult to see the
software engineering elements through all the haze. Teach Python,
or Java, or even C++, but _not_ Perl please.

Of course, this is only my opinion :-)

Ken

Quote:

> Hi.  I'm going to be teaching a short course on software engineering to some
> science and engineering types, and am trying to decide what language to use.
> Perl is the default choice (since my co-instructors are very familiar with
> it, it's
> widely used, there are a lot of books, etc.), but I'd like to explore
> alternatives.
> I'd therefore like to know if Python has a full GUI de{*filter*} (not just
> pdb-in-a-window), complete with conditional breakpoints, structure
> navigation,
> and logging.  Pointers would be very welcome.
> Thanks,
> Greg Wilson

--
========================================
Kenneth McDonald
Genome Sequencing Center
Washington University School of Medicine

Phone: 314-286-1831
========================================



Sun, 06 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 Python for Software Engineering

...

Quote:
> I'd therefore like to know if Python has a full GUI de{*filter*} (not just
> pdb-in-a-window), complete with conditional breakpoints, structure
> navigation,
> and logging.  Pointers would be very welcome.
> Thanks,
> Greg Wilson

Hi Greg,

if you are looking for a GUI-de{*filter*}, have a look at PyDebug.

PyDebug is written in pure Python and works with Python 1.4/1.5
(conditinal breakpoints only with 1.5 or better) and
Tcl/Tk (best is Tk8.0 or better, but Tk4.1 is working too)

PyDebug has features like:
- conditional breakpoints (for Python 1.5 only)
- class/methods/functions - window
- a small object browser
- command line history with cursorkeys
- windows for global and local variables, breakpoints,
  stack and exceptions
- persistent breakpoints (breakpoints are stored in a file)
- persistent window-layout (last layout is stored in a file)
...

But it's up to you (or your class) to enhance PyDebug
with the features you miss.

Please share these features with the python community.

Let me know whether you like it or not.

PyDebug can be found at http://www.*-*-*.com/
(follow the link to PyDebug).

I'll release a new bug fixed version next monday.

Ulrich Herold

--
---------------------------------------------------------
Ulrich Herold, ProConsult GmbH, Germany
Tel.0049-(0)89-61308-0 (Fax: -199)



Mon, 07 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 3 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Python/Zope Software Engineer Position available

2. Ruby/Python: Software Engineering

3. Python Software Engineers

4. US-WA-Vancouver-Senior Software Engineer-C++,Python,Internet,Web,Unidata

5. Software Engineering Applications of Python?

6. JOB OPPORTUNITIES - Embedded Software Engineers & Systems Engineers

7. Job-Vermont-Software Reuse Team - Software Engineer

8. France, Paris : jobs offered : Smalltalk Senior Software engineer/Chief architect

9. FRANCE, PARIS : JOBS OFFERED : OO(C++, OMT) PROJECT MANAGER AND SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER

10. Software Engineer - IBM Visual Age Smalltalk, Perl, Informix

11. US-TX-Irving Software Engineer - IBM Visual Age Smalltalk, Perl

12. US-TX-Irving Software Engineer - IBM Visual Age Smalltalk, Perl

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software