Server-client-development / Data-extraction without databaseaccess
Author Message
 Server-client-development / Data-extraction without databaseaccess

Hi,

I got a PostgreSQL server going. I use a platform independant client
to store data in pickled files which is later imported into the
database. The problem arises when platforms without python
postgresql-driver, namely Windows ( haven't found any
postgresql-module so far ), wants to extract data from the database
running on a Linux-box.

I'm going to build a Web-interface, but being able to use a
commandline or a GUI on Windows would be nice too. (
<implicit_linux_praise>At least for the poor fools still using ehem
.. that os </implicit_linux_praise> ;-> )

So I thought of making a threaded server that could accept simple
queries, actually keywords to look for and simple commands for data
maintainence, and return some form of data the client could use. One
solution would be to serve xml-data to the client and avoid the entire
binary problem. But xml would benefit greatly from compression and
sending binary files are more difficult according the Socket HowTo.

If anybody could give hints, code or tips on how to send data, binary
or plain text of arbitary size, between a multi-threaded server and a
plain python client, I'd be a very happy man.

Thanks

Tue, 08 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Server-client-development / Data-extraction without databaseaccess

Quote:

>Hi,

>I got a PostgreSQL server going. I use a platform independant client
>to store data in pickled files which is later imported into the
>database. The problem arises when platforms without python
>postgresql-driver, namely Windows ( haven't found any
>postgresql-module so far ), wants to extract data from the database
>running on a Linux-box.

In my PostgreSQL 7.0.2 source tree there is a win32 directory and
a win32.mak makefile, so you may actually be able to compile
the PostgreSQL client side for windows.  See the code in
src/interfaces/odbc.   So you'd have an odbc .dll that could
access PostgreSQL across the 'net (PostgreSQL has its own built-in
network protocol).

Quote:
>I'm going to build a Web-interface, but being able to use a
>commandline or a GUI on Windows would be nice too. (
><implicit_linux_praise>At least for the poor fools still using ehem
>.. that os </implicit_linux_praise> ;-> )

Hmm.  One easy way would be to have a web server on the Linux
box that returned data in an easily-parseable format.  I setup
one system where going to a url returned a text document with
each row from the query, with each column separated by tildes
(~).  Pretty easy to parse in any reasonable language.

Quote:
>So I thought of making a threaded server that could accept simple
>queries, actually keywords to look for and simple commands for data
>maintainence, and return some form of data the client could use. One
>solution would be to serve xml-data to the client and avoid the entire
>binary problem. But xml would benefit greatly from compression and
>sending binary files are more difficult according the Socket HowTo.

Why not use a server that is already built, like, say, Apache + mod_python
(which is sort of what I'm suggesting above).  Or Zope.  No sense re-inventing
the wheel.

One nice thing about using a server like Apache or Zope is that you
can put some logic in the server to control access or postprocess
the data.

Quote:
>If anybody could give hints, code or tips on how to send data, binary
>or plain text of arbitary size, between a multi-threaded server and a
>plain python client, I'd be a very happy man.

Are you now? :)

-- cary

Quote:
>Thanks

Sun, 13 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. Forte Client Server Development Lang. Info

2. Applications Development Cobol/Client Server

3. *****US-CHI. CLIENT/SERVER WORKSTATION DEVELOPMENT PLATFORM (RECRUITER)

4. Client/Server development

5. Client/Server Development

6. tps data extraction or data recovery

7. Need advice: serving data using http/web-server to clients ( not only browsers )

8. Transmit Out-of-band data messages in TCP client/server pair

9. RASQLB - Access to Novell data server without attachment.

10. Image extraction without IMAQ, using Read JPEG file.vi

11. heavy server/light client is good [was Re: [Gem] Gemstone server performance]

12. Clipper with client server in SCOUNIX Open Server