Standard Installation Paths for Python Modules on Linux
Author Message
 Standard Installation Paths for Python Modules on Linux

Hi,

I need to know which are the standard installation paths for python modules
on Linux Systems.

My assumptions are the following:

* According to the file hierarchy standard (which is mandatory for Linux), all
  software installations additional to the base distribution should
  be under /usr/local. That means that you can mount /usr/local on a
  different   partition, then reinstall the whole system (possibly with a
  different distribution), and your special software is saved,
  It means also, that backups are easier.

* Architecture-independent file should be installed under /usr/local/share

* Architecture - dependent files may be installed under /usr/local/lib
  or /usr/local/bin

This would mean that for an extension module, which contains binary
shared libraries, and python scripts, the shared libraries should be
installed under /usr/local/lib/python/<module>, and the module scripts
should be installed under /usr/local/share/python/<module>

In a file-sharing network, on /usr/local/lib a server directory with
the right binary format can be mounted. (Ehem, where I work we have
kind of an OS Zoo with about three different Unices in eight versions
for six different architectures, perhaps it's understandable that I'm
a bit picky 'bout this).

Questions:

1. Which are the Pythonic Standards for this? In the Distutils
documentation, there something like "platlib" is mentioned, but only
as example?

2. Does the Python module mechanism find binary extension modules
   which are separated from scripts? (And if no, when will this be fixed?)

3. Why Numpy (15.3) and the like install by default under
/usr/lib/python1.5/site-packages ? (Well I could give some option but
why?)

4. How does the Distutils setup script learn if a package is part of a
Linux distribution (and therefore has to install under /usr/lib/...)
or not (and has to install under /usr/local/????) ?

--
Johannes Nix

Sun, 18 May 2003 07:18:40 GMT

1. REPOST: Re: import path, script path (was Re: module path)

2. Tcl/Tk Path problems in Python 1.5.2 installation

3. Tcl/Tk Path problems in Python 1.5.2 installation

4. Adding Modules to precompiled installation of Python

5. module to do euler path and topological sorting in python

6. Embedding Python: How To Hardwire Module Search Path

7. module path and $PATH interaction?

8. Python module path problem

9. newbie : python path setting on linux

10. strange ImportError on Red Hat Linux python installation

11. python library path on Debian LInux

12. Having problems with standard modules with embedded python.