graphing and graph widgets
Author Message
 graphing and graph widgets

Hi

I am developping some GUI code in Python-Tk and Pmw. I need Tk/Pmw widgets for
the following:

a) a widget to display and manipulate a graph (the ones with vertices and
   edges, not the picture ones).

b) a widget to display and manipulate a graph (this time I do mean the picture
   variety -- I want to plot functions).

c) an all singing all dancing file dialog box.

If anyone can point me at any places to get these things that would be grand!
I can write them myself but would much rather use someone else's tried and
tested code. BTW the application I am writing is free in case that's relevant.

thanks

graham

--

      England's not the mythical land of madame george and roses
        It's the home of police who kill black boys on mopeds

Sat, 03 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 graphing and graph widgets

Quote:
>c) an all singing all dancing file dialog box.

Not sure about their entertainment value, but maybe
the standard Tk dialogues is good enough:

http://starship.skyport.net/crew/fredrik/py14/tkdialogs.htm

You'll find the docs at:

http://www.pythonware.com/library/tkinter/introduction/intro08.htm

Cannot help you with the graph widgets (not yet, that is).

Cheers /F

Sat, 03 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 graphing and graph widgets

Fredrik

Quote:
>>c) an all singing all dancing file dialog box.

>Not sure about their entertainment value, but maybe
>the standard Tk dialogues is good enough:

>http://starship.skyport.net/crew/fredrik/py14/tkdialogs.htm

>You'll find the docs at:

>http://www.pythonware.com/library/tkinter/introduction/intro08.htm

>Cannot help you with the graph widgets (not yet, that is).

Thanks a lot for this. This "native look and feel" stuff is pretty much
exactly what I am looking for.

thanks

graham

Sat, 03 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 graphing and graph widgets

Quote:
> >>c) an all singing all dancing file dialog box.

> >Not sure about their entertainment value, but maybe
> >the standard Tk dialogues is good enough:

> >http://starship.skyport.net/crew/fredrik/py14/tkdialogs.htm

> >You'll find the docs at:

> >http://www.pythonware.com/library/tkinter/introduction/intro08.htm

> >Cannot help you with the graph widgets (not yet, that is).

> Thanks a lot for this. This "native look and feel" stuff is pretty much
> exactly what I am looking for.

Note that Fredrik's modules are *already* being distributed with
python 1.5b*!  It's just the documentation that's lagging, as always...

Sat, 03 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 graphing and graph widgets

Fredrik

These dialog windows are {*filter*}y marvellous! One small query about the
file dialog boxes. The open file dialog box seems to keep a list of
directories -- it seems to be a list of directories from which you
load files. Is this correct? I am just wondering precisely what this
list is.
thanks

graham

Sat, 03 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 graphing and graph widgets

Quote:

>> I am developping some GUI code in Python-Tk and Pmw. I need Tk/Pmw widgets for
>> the following:
>> a) a widget to display and manipulate a graph (the ones with vertices and
>>    edges, not the picture ones).

        Use Tk's Canvas. It's easy. [A layout algorithm
for graphs is NOT!]

Quote:
>> b) a widget to display and manipulate a graph (this time I do mean the picture
>>    variety -- I want to plot functions).

        Use BLT.

Quote:
>> c) an all singing all dancing file dialog box.

        Use Tix File dialogs. (Several to choose from).

Quote:
>As for b), you could extend Tkinter with BLT, which contains diagrammatic
>capabilities. For some instructions see the BLT entry in:

        You could, but it isn't necessary.

        Tkinter/_tkinter already have all the code
you need to run BLT _except_ for the C data transfer
functions (which you have to code in C yourself
which ever way you go).

        For example, you can load BLT with

        tk.eval('package require BLT')

and create a widget with

        graph = tk.eval('blt::graph .mygraph; pack .mygraph')

[someone should say if the syntax for calling Tkinter scripting
interface is wrong, I don't use it because I have my own]

It takes only a little more work to create callbacks.

There's probably no need to extend the already overbloated Tkinter
interface when you can use script. [This is not true for
container widgets like Tix paned windows which have to
contain Tkinter objects.]

John Max Skaller                ph:61-2-96600850

http://www.maxtal.com.au/~skaller  Glebe 2037 NSW AUSTRALIA

Sat, 17 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 graphing and graph widgets

Quote:
> >> c) an all singing all dancing file dialog box.

>    Use Tix File dialogs. (Several to choose from).

In Python 1.5, use tkFileDialog.py, which interfaces to the standard
Tk library script that interfaces to the system's native file
selection box.  If you are stuck with Python 1.4, tkFileDialog.py is
also available from Fred Lundh's web pages (either starship or
pythonware.com).

If you want a subclassable file dialog, try FileDialog.py.

Sun, 18 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. 2D, 3D graph widgets and graphing utilities..??

2. Apologies Looking for Graph GUI like Dr. Graph again

3. XY Graph over Intensity Graph

4. Graphs - I need more graphs ( Simulation development )

5. WANTED: Graph Widget for VW 2.0

6. Widget for plotting graphs?

7. Dynamic graphs under gtk or other widget set

8. A widget to draw Networks (Graphs) in Tk

9. graph widget other than BLT's?

10. blt2.4x core dump from swapping axes on graph widget

11. Equal axes in BLT graph widget

12. ? Widget for dynamic bar graph