ANNOUNCE: The Snack Sound Toolkit v2.0.3
Author Message
 ANNOUNCE: The Snack Sound Toolkit v2.0.3

This release contains:

* Many bug-fixes

* Updated documentation

* Updated demos that reflect new Snack features

* Expanded test suite

* Improved Windows installers

The Snack Sound Toolkit is designed to be used with a scripting
language.
Snack adds commands to play, record, and process sound and supports
in-memory sound objects, file based audio, and streaming audio.
It handles fileformats such as WAV, MP3, AU, AIFF, and NIST/Sphere.
Snack is extensible, new commands, filters, and sound file formats can
be added using the Snack C-library. An easy to build example extension
is contained in the source distribution.
Snack also does sound visualization, e.g. waveforms and spectrograms.
The visualization objects update in real-time and can output postscript.

Snack works with Tcl8.0 - Tcl8.4 and python 1.5.2-2.0
Platforms: Linux, Solaris, HP-UX, IRIX, NetBSD, Macintosh, and
Windows95/98/NT/2K.

Source and binaries can be downloaded from
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Regards,
Kare Sjolander

Fri, 02 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 ANNOUNCE: The Snack Sound Toolkit v2.0.3
I'm trying to do some simple audio manipulation (play wav files etc.). I
know about the Snack Toolkit, but is there any simpler way to do this? It
seems like an overkill to install a complete toolkit just for playing a wav
file in a small application.  I use python 2.0c1 under Linux (RedHat).

Arild Hansen

Sun, 04 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 ANNOUNCE: The Snack Sound Toolkit v2.0.3

Quote:

> AH> I'm trying to do some simple audio manipulation (play wav files etc.). I
> AH> know about the Snack Toolkit, but is there any simpler way to do this? It
> AH> seems like an overkill to install a complete toolkit just for playing a wav
> AH> file in a small application.  I use python 2.0c1 under Linux (RedHat).

> Python 2.0 has a linuxaudiodev module.  You can also use PyESD.

> --
> +----------------------------------------------------------------+

> | The scalloped tatters of the King in Yellow must hide Yhtill   |
> | forever.                    R.W. Chambers _The King in Yellow_ |

Hmm, the linux audiodev modules (or simply audiomodule) shipped with python 2.0
does not support playback of soundfiles. Or this is at least what I think, but I'm
not a sound guru. It seems like the audiodev modules only support manipulating raw
audiodata. What I need is a simple way
to play back some wav files and I need to do this in a non-graphical environment.
This means that I cannot use the Snack toolkit. I would also like to avoid having
to use a systemcall and a third-party soundprogram such as "play".  I can very
well use C-code with a simple python wrapper around it but ultimately I would like
to avoid having to install any code.

In other words:

I need some simple code that I can include directly into a non-gui python
application to allow me to play back wav files.

I run python 2.0c1 on Linux Redhat 7.0. All help is welcomed,

Arild

Fri, 09 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. ANNOUNCE: The Snack Sound Toolkit v2.0.4

2. ANNOUNCE: The Snack Sound Toolkit v2.0.3

3. ANNOUNCE: The Snack Sound Toolkit v2.0.1

4. ANNOUNCE: The Snack Sound Toolkit v2.0

5. ANNOUNCE: The Snack Sound Toolkit v2.1b1

6. ANNOUNCE: The Snack Sound Toolkit v2.0.7

7. ANNOUNCE: The Snack Sound Toolkit v2.0.6

8. ANNOUNCE: The Snack Sound Toolkit v2.0.5

9. ANNOUNCE: The Snack Sound Toolkit v2.0.4

10. ANNOUNCE: The Snack Sound Toolkit v2.0.1

11. ANNOUNCE: The Snack Sound Toolkit v2.0

12. ANNOUNCE: The Snack Sound Toolkit v2.2.1