sys.stdin.readlines() in 2.2a ?
Author Message
 sys.stdin.readlines() in 2.2a ?

Hi all, I'm trying to learn and master python.  I encountered an example in
"Programming python 2nd Edition" by Mark Lutz that used
sys.stdin.readlines(), which does not exist in python 2.2a.  It does exist
however, on a solaris system running 1.5.2.  My questions are:

1. Where did it go?
2. What kind of problems am I going to get by doing examples written for
1.5.2 but on 2.2a?
3. Where can I get information on this sort of changes?

Thanks in advance.
Kevin

Fri, 16 Jan 2004 11:16:59 GMT
 sys.stdin.readlines() in 2.2a ?

Quote:

> Hi all, I'm trying to learn and master python.  I encountered an
> example in "Programming Python 2nd Edition" by Mark Lutz that used
> sys.stdin.readlines(), which does not exist in python 2.2a.

I still have it in my 2.2a1 copy on Solaris. What system are you
using?

Quote:
> 1. Where did it go?

It did not go away.

Quote:
> 2. What kind of problems am I going to get by doing examples written
> for 1.5.2 but on 2.2a?

Very few. I might not remember all potential problems, so I won't
attempt to list them here.

Quote:
> 3. Where can I get information on this sort of changes?

Andrew Kuchling always publishes an article on new features, which
always offer advise for compatibility as well. These are

http://amk.ca/python/2.0/
http://amk.ca/python/2.1/
http://amk.ca/python/2.2/

For Python 1.6, the information is somewhat merged into the 2.0
document above. An independently-developed document is at

http://www.python.org/1.6/

For a detailed list of changes, see Misc/NEWS in the Python sources.

Regards,
Martin

Fri, 16 Jan 2004 20:44:37 GMT
 sys.stdin.readlines() in 2.2a ?
Thanks for the reply.  For some reason yesterday it wasn't there and today
it is...  so no big deal now.

I was using IDLE for win32.

Quote:

> > Hi all, I'm trying to learn and master python.  I encountered an
> > example in "Programming Python 2nd Edition" by Mark Lutz that used
> > sys.stdin.readlines(), which does not exist in python 2.2a.

> I still have it in my 2.2a1 copy on Solaris. What system are you
> using?

> > 1. Where did it go?

> It did not go away.

> > 2. What kind of problems am I going to get by doing examples written
> > for 1.5.2 but on 2.2a?

> Very few. I might not remember all potential problems, so I won't
> attempt to list them here.

> > 3. Where can I get information on this sort of changes?

> Andrew Kuchling always publishes an article on new features, which
> always offer advise for compatibility as well. These are

> http://amk.ca/python/2.0/
> http://amk.ca/python/2.1/
> http://amk.ca/python/2.2/

> For Python 1.6, the information is somewhat merged into the 2.0
> document above. An independently-developed document is at

> http://www.python.org/1.6/

> For a detailed list of changes, see Misc/NEWS in the Python sources.

> Regards,
> Martin

Sat, 17 Jan 2004 10:34:52 GMT

1. using sys.stdin.raw_input and sys.stdin.readline together in a platform independent way

2. sys.stdin.readline

3. Emacs EOF on sys.stdin.readline()

4. Chosing between sys.argv and sys.stdin

5. Readline loses stdin?

6. non-blocking sys.stdin.read() on win32?

7. banging head against sys.stdin and tkinter on win32

8. sys.stdin.read() HELP!

9. reusing sys.stdin?

10. how to calculate the size of sys.stdin?

11. Error using sys.stdin.read()

12. can i make sys.stdin.read() not wait?