Capabilities of python?
Author Message
 Capabilities of python?

I'm creating a pretty simple program, but I want to make sure python can
handle everything I need it to.

The program is basically a mixture of a word processor/translator.  Consider
reading in a foreign language and converting it to english, then printing it
to the screen.  This will have a full GUI using (i guess) TK.

Also I will need this program to be able to open a serial port (such as
com2) and read in the data, converting it the same way.  Also once this data
is converted, I need to be able to send it to other hosts via ethernet.

The program must also supply templates, like in a word processor.  I am
pretty sure I can do this already ;-)

I'm guessing this is not a problem, but want to make sure before I jump on
the bandwagon.

As a side note, when using IDLE-Python on my p350, the text output is VERY
slow.. Pythonwin seems a lot faster but is still not up to par compared to
your basic notepad.  I need to able to scroll very fast and print out text
very fast, can TK handle this?  Or should I look into another python GUI
addition?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Michael Morrison

Fri, 06 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Metalinguistic capability of Python?

2. Python with the VBA recording capabilities

3. Editors with Python or Active Scripting capability?

4. Python timer capability?

5. Tcl vs Python in graphics capabilities

6. Python FTP-Class w/ Resuming-Capabilities -- General Questions

7. Tcl vs Python in graphics capabilities

8. The Collective Capabilities of Available Smalltalk Systems

9. Enhancing J file capabilities

10. Dolphin capabilities(newbie question..)

11. Dos Capability: APL on iPAQ vs. HP200Lx

12. Capability based security in Smalltalk?