Python, NT Services and COM
Author Message
 Python, NT Services and COM

Is it possible to provide a COM interface to an NT Service in Python?
I've got an application that I'd like to run as a service, and I'd
like to provide a COM interface for administrative and monitoring
purposes.  I don't understand how python controls object lifetimes
(the standard COM server examples hide the details).  (Truth be told,
I don't understand how ATL does it either)

Mark Wright

Mon, 17 Nov 2003 00:55:59 GMT
 Python, NT Services and COM

Quote:

> Is it possible to provide a COM interface to an NT Service in Python?
> I've got an application that I'd like to run as a service, and I'd
> like to provide a COM interface for administrative and monitoring
> purposes.  I don't understand how Python controls object lifetimes
> (the standard COM server examples hide the details).  (Truth be told,
> I don't understand how ATL does it either)

How about creating a local server COM 'facade' for the NT Service?
Ie, when SCM asks service to start its main thread invokes a
method in the COM interface (thereby starting the COM server) and
then the COM server talks to the Service via a named pipe (if
scalability is not a big deal).

Bill

Mon, 17 Nov 2003 05:20:07 GMT

1. NT Service client to Python COM LOCAL_SERVER

2. Exposing Python object running in NT service as COM object

3. NT Service and COM

4. python1.5.2 + nt services + COM

5. COM servers from within a Python service (on Win2k)

6. free python web timesheet service http://pnk.com

7. Python NT Service

8. Problems with py2exe and Windows NT service (in Python)

9. NT Services In Python?

10. making a Windows NT service out of a python program

11. Multithreaded Python in an NT service

12. experiences with python as NT service