Python Tutorial 4 Newbies?
Author Message
 Python Tutorial 4 Newbies?

I am absolutely brand new to programming and it was suggested to me that
python would be the one to learn because of it's ease of use and power. Does
anyone know of any online tutorial or book that may be purchased that is
geared towards the village idiot? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Peg Leg

Sun, 16 Nov 2003 14:22:10 GMT
 Python Tutorial 4 Newbies?
.. I found this one the other day,
it looks good for 'absolute beginners'

http://www.hetland.org/python/instant-hacking.php

btw, don't let the word 'hacking' (on the web page) scare you,
it's just an introduction to programming

Sun, 16 Nov 2003 15:28:57 GMT
 Python Tutorial 4 Newbies?

Quote:

> I am absolutely brand new to programming and it was suggested to me that
> Python would be the one to learn because of it's ease of use and power.
> Does
> anyone know of any online tutorial or book that may be purchased that is
> geared towards the village idiot? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Check out Alan Gauld's 'Learning to Program' at
<http://www.crosswinds.net/~agauld/>. This teaches Python for complete
beginners.

Links to *loads* of tutorials can be found at
<http://directory.google.com/Top/Computers/Programming/Languages/Pytho...
mentation_and_Tutorials/>.

And don't forget the Python tutor mailing list, at
<http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/tutor>. *Well* worth joining if you
are learning Python.

Cheers,
Simon Brunning
TriSystems Ltd.

Sun, 16 Nov 2003 17:03:39 GMT
 Python Tutorial 4 Newbies?

Quote:

> I am absolutely brand new to programming and it was suggested to me that
> Python would be the one to learn because of it's ease of use and power. Does
> anyone know of any online tutorial or book that may be purchased that is
> geared towards the village idiot? Any help is greatly appreciated.
> Peg Leg

I try to make the list of tutorial links at Useless Python quite
thorough. You should find quite a bit of brain candy there.

http://www.lowerstandard.com/python/tutoriallinks.html

Rob
--

Useless Python!
It's the right thing to do.

Sun, 16 Nov 2003 19:22:55 GMT
 Python Tutorial 4 Newbies?

Quote:

> I am absolutely brand new to programming and it was suggested to me that
> Python would be the one to learn because of it's ease of use and power. Does
> anyone know of any online tutorial or book that may be purchased that is
> geared towards the village idiot? Any help is greatly appreciated.
> Peg Leg

You certainly picked a great lang to learn.  Not only is the syntax
straightforward, but there are plenty of great online tutorials geared
towards new programmers.  My favorites are:
1) Learning to Program (by Alan Gauld) -
http://www.crosswinds.net/~agauld (this one assumes no prior
programming experience)
2) Guido's Python Tutorial - www.python.org/doc/current/tut/tut.html
(assumes a bit more knowledge, but not overwhelming)
3) How to Think Like a Computer Scientist -
http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/thinkCSpy/ (another great introductory
tutorial)
4) Dive Into Python - http://www.diveintopython.org - this one assumes
that you've been programming for a while.  It's worth visiting after
you've gone through the other tutorials and have created a few
programs of your own.  I personally think that this tutorial is
fantastic - very well written.

Hope that helps!  Good luck!

Jeremy.

Sun, 16 Nov 2003 20:09:00 GMT
 Python Tutorial 4 Newbies?

Quote:
> I am absolutely brand new to programming and it was suggested to me that
> Python would be the one to learn because of it's ease of use and power. Does
> anyone know of any online tutorial or book that may be purchased that is
> geared towards the village idiot? Any help is greatly appreciated.

http://www.crosswinds.net/~agauld/   (now also available as a book)

There's also the open book "How to think like a computer scientist" at
http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/

Join the Python Tutor list for asking newbie questions, at
http://www.python.org/mailman/listinfo/tutor/

--
Remco Gerlich

Sun, 16 Nov 2003 21:40:27 GMT

1. Great OOP tutorial for newbies

2. newbies and recent ex-newbies (II)

3. REPOST: Python web programming for Newbies article on NewsForge ;-)))

4. Python web programming for Newbies article on NewsForge ;-)))

5. CP4E and Python newbies, it works!

6. ILU + Python tutorial now available

7. Tutorial: Python/XML development using 4Suite Part 4: Composition and updates

8. Russian Python Tutorial

9. Python 101 series of tutorials

10. Spanish Translation of Python Tutorial

11. Python + KDE Tutorial

12. Numerical Python Documentation and Tutorial