Dictionary comprehension? [OT?]
Author Message
 Dictionary comprehension? [OT?]

Quote:

> [Magnus Lie Hetland]
> > I was thinking about the possibility of dictionary
> > comprehension a minute ago (I vaguely recollect doing
> > so before...) and came to think of the set comprehension
> > syntax...

> Historical note:  the dict.update() function was argued over for years
> before getting implemented, because it was thought unclear what should
> happen if, in x.update(y), y had a key k already in x.  Should y[k] "win"?
> x[k]?  Should x[k] grow a list of associated values?  Should overlap raise
> an exception?  The same arguments apply to dict comprehensions, of course,
> but I think we have a clearer model here already:

> {1: 3, 2: 2}

> That is, "rightmost wins" is already the rule.

Right - that's what my suggestion was for the comprehension too. I've been
thinking about an augmented version as well, but I'm not happy with the
syntax (which is the only one I can think of) - putting an operator
in front of the colon (e.g. +:) would update the entry (by means of that
operator) rather than overwriting it. It is assumed that the identity
element of the operator (0 for +) is put into the slot before updating is
begun... So to invert a dictionary, putting keys with the same value into
a set (assuming they exist) could be done like this:

  reversed = {d[k] +: {k} for k in d}

To make a dictionary of word frequencies from a string, you could do
this:

  freq = {w +: 1 for w in s.split()}

I guess I'm moving into the Dark Side here... Perhaps I should just stick
to for-loops :)

Quote:
> I have no idea what {v for k in dict} is supposed to mean, so I'm not
> especially concerned about confusing the interpreter in that case <wink>.

<ahem>

Sorry about that one... I gues it would be a singleton set if v is already
defined, right? :)

Quote:
> The other syntax is natural enough, but I'm not sure it's *useful* enough.

You may be right. As long as we get the dict method taking a list of tuples
we can do it all with list comprehension, I guess. (But the same thing could
be said about set comprehension - why not be consistent? ;)

Quote:
> Inverting a relation does have to worry about what happens when inverting
> many-to-one mapping, and that the order of dict traversal isn't defined
> means that inverting a many-to-one mapping may even yield different
results
> across different releases

As you can see, I addressed that problem above... Albeit in a slightly
non-Pythonic way, I guess.

--

  Magnus Lie Hetland         http://www.*-*-*.com/

 "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in
  it, doesn't go away."           -- Philip K.{*filter*}

Thu, 27 Nov 2003 22:28:00 GMT

1. Dictionary Comprehension

2. Dictionary comprehension

3. OT Maybe RE: Creating a Data Dictionary

4. Dictionary of dictionaries

5. Dictionary to string and back to dictionary??

6. losrt -dictionary and dictionary sorting...

7. Accessing Dictionary values from within the Dictionary

8. Tree comprehension (or the lack thereof)

9. study of the "list comprehension" sugar

10. Some questions about lists (comprehension) in haskell

11. LOGO-L> reading/comprehension levels

12. Need Help on list comprehension