Recommendations for Python Books
Author Message
 Recommendations for Python Books

Just a newbie to programming and python, need some recommendations on books
to buy

Mon, 15 Sep 2003 05:30:00 GMT
 Recommendations for Python Books
"Learn to Program using Python"
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0201709384/qid=985817618/sr=1-...

Mon, 15 Sep 2003 06:14:37 GMT
 Recommendations for Python Books

Quote:
> Just a newbie to programming and python, need some recommendations on
books
> to buy

I'm a newbie too, and I've been reading Sam's Teach Yourself python in 24
hours. Its very well written. I like it tons.

--
So long, and thanks for all the fish!
Corey

Check out my Webpage at: schitzomedia.y0ru.net
and vote for the top 10 games of all time!!!

Mon, 15 Sep 2003 08:53:33 GMT
 Recommendations for Python Books

Quote:

> Just a newbie to programming and python, need some recommendations on books
> to buy

I used this one and I liked it a lot:

        http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/lpython/

--
Rikard Bosnjakovic - http://a214.ryd.student.liu.se/cv/ - ICQ: 1158217

Anyone sending unwanted advertising e-mail to my address will be
charged $250 for network traffic and computing time. By extracting my

Mon, 15 Sep 2003 12:24:08 GMT
 Recommendations for Python Books
If you're using Win32 buy Andy Robinson and Mark Hammond's Python
Programming on Win32. Also be sure to check out www.python.org and the
documentation that comes with Python. There are also much to learn from
studying the library and samples that come with python, check out the
Tool/scripts directory in the Python directory for lots of small and
interesting python programs.

Quote:
> Just a newbie to programming and python, need some recommendations on
books
> to buy

Mon, 15 Sep 2003 14:02:05 GMT
 Recommendations for Python Books
If you just starting out and want a good free (opensource) book to start
with try "How To Think Like A Computer Scientist In Python" ... you can get
the free download in a few different formats from
...http://www.andamooka.org ...

Mon, 15 Sep 2003 15:59:16 GMT
 Recommendations for Python Books
If you want free, look at the Python web site page listing introductions
( http://www.python.org/doc/Intros.html ). The tutorial that comes with
Python is frequently recommended as a starting point, but I found it too
terse.

For someone completely new to programming, /Learn to Program Using
Python/ by Gauld would be a good first book, but you would need to
follow it up with the tutorial or another book. My favorite book so far
is /The Quick Python Book/ by McDonald, but I also liked /Learning
Python/ by Lutz and Ascher. Both books cover the basics, but their
organization and emphasis is different. I've looked at /Sams Teach
Yourself Python in 24 Hours/ by Van Laningham at Borders. It's
organization and content seem fine, but they use relatively small screen
shots to display example program output, and I didn't like that. /Core
Python/ by Chun looks like it might also be an OK starting point, but
I've only glanced through it.

O'Reilly has released a second edition of /Programming Python/ covering
Python 2.0, but it seems to be aimed at the intermediate to advanced
Python programmer, and probably isn't the best choice for starting out.

HTH, and good luck.
-KFW

Quote:

> Just a newbie to programming and python, need some recommendations on books
> to buy

Mon, 15 Sep 2003 20:20:06 GMT
 Recommendations for Python Books

Quote:

> Just a newbie to programming and python, need some recommendations on books
> to buy

There's a new book on the market "Core Python" from Prentice Hall, you may get
it for example at amazon. I have O'Reilly books "Learning Python" and
"Programming Python", the 1st one being really a good introduction to Python,
the 2nd one just a rather lousy collection of examples . If "Core Python" will
be as good as "Core Java2", you may use it as a very good reference and as a
learning book as well. Get may hands on it this weekend / next week, but I
guess it will be very recommnedable.

Ciao, Korpo

Tue, 16 Sep 2003 02:12:17 GMT
 Recommendations for Python Books
Thanks Guys, I will take note of the materials!

Quote:
> Just a newbie to programming and python, need some recommendations on
books
> to buy

Tue, 16 Sep 2003 05:13:47 GMT

1. I would like Python book recommendations.

2. python book recommendations?

3. Book recommendations (Re: Python is a mini C?)

4. Smalltalk book recommendations?

5. Book recommendations?

6. Book recommendation?

7. Recommendations for intermediate to advanced Smalltalk book

8. Book Recommendations?

9. Looking for Training/Book Recommendations

10. Win95/NT API book recommendation

11. Book recommendations

12. Need compiler construction book recommendation