Python source under VSS (Visual Source Safe)
Author Message
 Python source under VSS (Visual Source Safe)

I have a problem I'm sure someone has already run across.  I am trying to
put python source files into source safe.  I can run a diff on them no
problem, but when I try to view them, they execute.  I also noticed that a
machine without Python installed can view them as text fine.

I was hoping someone could save me some time and tell me what they did to
fix it, or if anyone has any good ideas, let me know.

Josh

--
This space intentionally left blank.

Wed, 23 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Python source under VSS (Visual Source Safe)
IVe always just put this down to a design flaw in VSS itself.  Note that
Python does indeed have an "Edit" option available (assuming Pythonwin is
installed) but VSS doesnt look that far.

I just live with it :-(

Mark.

Quote:
> I have a problem I'm sure someone has already run across.  I am trying to
> put python source files into source safe.  I can run a diff on them no
> problem, but when I try to view them, they execute.  I also noticed that
> machine without Python installed can view them as text fine.

> I was hoping someone could save me some time and tell me what they did to
> fix it, or if anyone has any good ideas, let me know.

Wed, 23 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Python source under VSS (Visual Source Safe)
[Joshua Grigonis]

> I am trying to put python source files into source safe.  I can
> run a diff on them no problem, but when I try to view them, they
> execute.

The actions performed by VSS's "View File" command (or toolbar button) are
involved, but explained in VSS help (Help -> Contents -> Index -> find
"View" -> select "View File Command").  Sounds like you're picking up the
VSS default, which uses extension-specific registry associations, and
appears to pick up the wrong one <frown -- it apparently uses the Run action
instead of the Edit one>.

Easiest workaround is to take Tools -> Options -> General and fill in the
"Editor for viewing files:" box with the path to the editor you like best.
VSS looks for that before resorting to registry associations.

Finer control can be gotten via associating specific editors with specific
extensions in your srcsafe.ini file (Help -> Contents -> Commands and
Initialization Variables -> Initialization Variables -> Extension
Association).

or-just-replace-python.exe-with-a-renamed-copy-of-
    your-editor<wink>-ly y'rs  - tim

Wed, 23 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Python source under VSS (Visual Source Safe)

Quote:

>Easiest workaround is to take Tools -> Options -> General and fill in the
>"Editor for viewing files:" box with the path to the editor you like best.
>VSS looks for that before resorting to registry associations.

But be aware that with this set, if you ever use the command line to
check in a file, VSS will also use the configured editor to ask you for
a checkin comment.  This is truly a demented "feature".

--
Curt Hagenlocher

Wed, 23 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Python source under VSS (Visual Source Safe)
[Tim]

Quote:
> Easiest workaround is to take Tools -> Options -> General and fill in the
> "Editor for viewing files:" box with the path to the editor you
> like best. VSS looks for that before resorting to registry associations.

[Curt Hagenlocher]

Quote:
> But be aware that with this set, if you ever use the command line to
> check in a file, VSS will also use the configured editor to ask you for
> a checkin comment.  This is truly a demented "feature".

The value of Comment_Editor controls that; VSS simply assumes that if you
set Editor, you probably want to use that for Comment_Editor too; if that's
not what you want, set Comment_Editor to what you do want.  If you look at
the VSS help for Editor, you'll find that a link to Comment_Editor is one of
the two "see also" entries -- this isn't hard to find out.

The original poster reported he got unstuck by putting

.py = notepad.exe

in his srcsafe.ini.

rtfm-imploring-ly y'rs  - tim

Wed, 23 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Python source under VSS (Visual Source Safe)
Something nobody else mentioned is that you can edit the python file
type and set the default action to 'Edit' rather than 'Run'. Doing so
will make VSS launch the Python IDE (or whatever program you specify for
the file type) to edit the file.

John

Thu, 24 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Visual Source Safe / PVCS or what ?!?

2. Can LabVIEW automatically login to Visual Source Safe?

3. Source Safe ? - Any Comments

4. Using MS Source Safe in VB .50

5. py2exe how safe is my source ?

6. APL2C source to source adapter?

7. The source and the sink different type with its source code

8. REFILL, SOURCE and SOURCE-ID current practice?

9. Metacompile assembly source to assembly source ?

10. Find Forth source (was: 8031 Forth Source Code Needed)

11. Source->Source Transformations in Haskell

12. source-to-source translators