Adding a package to the standard distribution
Author Message
 Adding a package to the standard distribution

Hello all, I've got a package (called Selecting) that I'd
like to subject to consideration for being added to the
standard python distribution. The package implements a better
(in my opinion) scheme of abstraction over select.select()
than does asyncore and asynchat. However, I don't know what
mailing list / person I should write to to get the package
included in the standard distribution.

Whom should I contact?

Panu Kalliokoski

Fri, 26 Dec 2003 03:41:53 GMT
 Adding a package to the standard distribution

    Panu> Hello all, I've got a package (called Selecting) that I'd like to
    Panu> subject to consideration for being added to the standard python
    Panu> distribution. The package implements a better (in my opinion)
    Panu> scheme of abstraction over select.select() than does asyncore and
    Panu> asynchat. However, I don't know what mailing list / person I
    Panu> should write to to get the package included in the standard
    Panu> distribution.

For starters, I'd suggest you make it available via HTTP or FTP and post an
announcement to the Python announcements list/group.  Also, submit it to the
Vaults of Parnassus.  As for persuading the powers-that-be, you can send a

--

(847)971-7098

Fri, 26 Dec 2003 22:05:31 GMT
 Adding a package to the standard distribution

Quote:

>     Panu> asynchat. However, I don't know what mailing list / person I
>     Panu> should write to to get the package included in the standard
>     Panu> distribution.
> For starters, I'd suggest you make it available via HTTP or FTP and post an
> announcement to the Python announcements list/group.  Also, submit it to the

I suppose this is comp.lang.python.announce? I'll post there.
FYI, the code is avail. at http://sange.fi/~atehwa-u/selecting/

Quote:
> Vaults of Parnassus.  As for persuading the powers-that-be, you can send a

I tried to find information about appropriate lists on www.python.org, but
found none. Maybe python-dev just slipped my eye. What are Vaults of
Parnassus? Some kind of open repository for Python code?

Anyway, thank you for the advice.

Panu Kalliokoski

Sun, 28 Dec 2003 06:01:10 GMT
 Adding a package to the standard distribution

    >> Vaults of Parnassus.  As for persuading the powers-that-be, you can

    Panu> I tried to find information about appropriate lists on
    Panu> www.python.org, but found none. Maybe python-dev just slipped my
    Panu> eye. What are Vaults of Parnassus? Some kind of open repository
    Panu> for Python code?

I'm not sure how well-publicized python-dev is, but the list archives are
available, and anyone can post to it.  (Subscriptions are by invitation.)

I should have posted the VoP address.  It's at

    http://www.vex.net/parnassus/

Skip

Sun, 28 Dec 2003 06:43:02 GMT

1. New packages added to Linux Python Distribution

2. Adding fonts with Distribution Kit

3. Add to Tk distributions reference files which may not be on user's system

4. Adding ftputil to the Python distribution?

5. Electronic Distribution of Draft Standards

6. Standard practices for module distribution

7. *** "Duplication and distribution of current and future COBOL Standards in Jeopary

8. psyco in the standard distribution

9. DateTime in Python standard distribution?

10. Another Update to the Linux Python Distribution: 2 new packages

11. Distribution package on windows for Tcl/Tk application: Freewrap+mktclapp