Uninstall of ActivePython 2.1 / Install 2.2 not complete
Author Message
 Uninstall of ActivePython 2.1 / Install 2.2 not complete

Hello,

I'm using ActivePython 2.2 on a Windows 2000 machine. I uninstalled
ActivePython 2.1 and installed the new version as administrator. Using it as
a normal user I couldn't start my scripts from the Windows Commander as
before, and they appeared without their icon.

Searching the registry I found lots of keys in HKEY_CURRENT_USER pointing to
the directory of the old, deleted python version. Changing them to the new
directory did the trick; but I think they should have been deleted at
uninstall time, for all users, not only for the installing administrator.

What's the matter? Is it an uninstall or an install problem?

Thank you,
Koczian

--
Dr. Sibylle Koczian
Universitaetsbibliothek , Abt. Naturwiss.

Tel.: (0821) 598-2400, Fax : (0821) 598-2410

Sat, 13 Nov 2004 18:46:50 GMT
 Uninstall of ActivePython 2.1 / Install 2.2 not complete
[Sibylle Koczian wrote]

Quote:
> Hello,

> I'm using ActivePython 2.2 on a Windows 2000 machine. I uninstalled
> ActivePython 2.1 and installed the new version as administrator. Using it as
> a normal user I couldn't start my scripts from the Windows Commander as
> before, and they appeared without their icon.

> Searching the registry I found lots of keys in HKEY_CURRENT_USER pointing to
> the directory of the old, deleted Python version. Changing them to the new
> directory did the trick; but I think they should have been deleted at
> uninstall time, for all users, not only for the installing administrator.

> What's the matter? Is it an uninstall or an install problem?

It sounds like an uninstall problem. Let me try to clarify a little
bit.

- You had installed ActivePython 2.1 as an UNPRIVILEDGED user, i.e. NOT
  as Administrator. (Was it ActivePython 2.1.1 or ActivePython 2.1.3?
  What was the ActivePython build number (the three digit number)?) This
  might have added registry entries under HKEY_CURRENT_USER, instead of
  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE (you need Admin priviledges to add registry entries
  there).
- Then you tried to uninstall it, except you were logged in as
  Administrator now, right? This *should* have removed all relevant
  registry entries under HKEY_CURRENT_USER *if* you uninstalled it as
  the same user that installed it. I suppose it should have removed
  those entries even if you uninstalled it as the Administrator, though
  it is very likely that it did not. I don't even know if it is possible
  to change HKEY_CURRENT_USER registry entries for a user *other* than
  the one you are logged in as. It is for reasons like this that it is
  recommended that ActivePython always be installed with Administrator
  priviledges.
- Then you installed ActivePython 2.2 as Administrator. (I presume this
  was ActivePython 2.2.1 build 222, right?) There is no real way for
  this install to go and make sure there are no conflicting registry
  entries under any user's HKEY_CURRENT_USER.

Does that make sense?

Cheers,
Trent

--
Trent Mick

Sun, 14 Nov 2004 00:51:21 GMT

1. Q: Installing Pmw/ ActivePython 2.1/ Win98

2. Python 2.1 == Jython 2.1 != Python 2.2?

3. ActivePython 2.2 released!

4. Where is/What happened to ActivePython (PythonWin) 2.2 ?!

5. ActivePython 2.2 alpha status

6. Using 2.2 stdlib modules in 2.1

7. 2.1 vs. 2.2

8. 2.1 stable and 2.2 dev ?

9. Replacing Python 2.1 with 2.2 in Cygwin

10. REPOST: Replacing Python 2.1 with 2.2 in Cygwin

11. Getting the class of a method in Python 2.2 (semantic change from 2.1)

12. Problem with re group in python 2.1 and 2.2