wxPython w/ IDLE under WinXP Pro
Author Message
 wxPython w/ IDLE under WinXP Pro

i am unable to use wxPython under WinXP Pro??? although the demo works just
fine???

(using within IDLE>F5)
everytime i attempt to load the lib i get this error:
Traceback (innermost last)
  File "c:\dev\python\test.py", line 2, in ?
    from wxPython.wx import *
SystemError: C:\Code\c1\Objects\listobject.c:88: bad argument to internal
function

(using IDLE interactive shell)
on the other hand if i load it in the interactive shell i get:
python 2.2c1 (#27, Dec 14 2001, 13:15:16) [MSC 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
IDLE Fork 0.8 -- press F1 for help

Quote:
>>> from wxPython.wx import *

and it works fine when using directly with python.exe or pythonw.exe.

just wondering if there is a fix out since i use IDLE as my editor.

or anyone could sugguest a better/superior editor?

Wed, 09 Jun 2004 09:07:49 GMT
 wxPython w/ IDLE under WinXP Pro

Quote:

> i am unable to use wxPython under WinXP Pro??? although the demo works just
> fine???

> (using within IDLE>F5)
> everytime i attempt to load the lib i get this error:
> Traceback (innermost last)
>   File "c:\dev\python\test.py", line 2, in ?
>     from wxPython.wx import *
> SystemError: C:\Code\c1\Objects\listobject.c:88: bad argument to internal
> function

> (using IDLE interactive shell)
> on the other hand if i load it in the interactive shell i get:
> Python 2.2c1 (#27, Dec 14 2001, 13:15:16) [MSC 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
> IDLE Fork 0.8 -- press F1 for help

> and it works fine when using directly with python.exe or pythonw.exe.

> just wondering if there is a fix out since i use IDLE as my editor.

I'm not sure if you are supposed to use one GUI (wxPython)
from within another (Tkinter). IDLE is written in Tkinter.

Quote:
> or anyone could sugguest a better/superior editor?

There's lots of editors out there. vi, emacs, ActiveState Komodo,
PythonWorks, Archaeopteryx, etc. etc. Depends on what you want.
Also see the recent vi-vs-emacs thread, and there was a similar
thread not long ago, that you might be able to find in Google
Groups.

--Hans

Wed, 09 Jun 2004 10:38:48 GMT
 wxPython w/ IDLE under WinXP Pro

Quote:
> i am unable to use wxPython under WinXP Pro??? although the demo works
just
> fine???

yourself, the wxPython
you downloaded is probably for Python 2.1, and not for Python 2.2.  Binary
extensions (.pyd on windows)
are not compatible between releases, due to internal changes in the
interpreter and data structures, between versions.

Either that, or recompile wxPython for yourself, under 2.2.

Warren

Wed, 09 Jun 2004 11:11:23 GMT

1. IDLE on WinXP Problem

2. MSWLogo 6.4h - setfont command fails - WinXP Pro

3. MSWLogo 6.4h - setfont command fails - WinXP Pro

4. anyone runing FD on winXP (pro)?

5. AdaBrowse & WinXP Pro

6. Importing wxPython under IDLE 0.5 fails though ok under raw python or pythonwin

7. IDLE can be rewrited using wxPython?

8. newbie questions about sys.path, wxpython, IDLE and pythonwin

9. idle time w2k & xp-pro

10. wxPython looses function "wxPython.wx.miscc"

11. Idle loops - sometimes a little too idle?

12. Idle doesn't Idle