 escape sequences and str

Quote:
>>> str("\176")
'~'
>>> str("\177")
'\177'
>>> str("\200")

'\200'

What's the rationale for this? Why does str change the way at 0177
not at 0200 (which is much more reasonable since its MSB is on
therefrom)

Wed, 21 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 escape sequences and str

Quote:

> '~'
> '\177'
> '\200'

> What's the rationale for this? Why does str change the way at 0177
> not at 0200 (which is much more reasonable since its MSB is on
> therefrom)

looked at an ASCII chart lately? ;-)

\177 is a control character (DEL), not a printable
character.

</F>

Wed, 21 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 escape sequences and str

Quote:

> looked at an ASCII chart lately? ;-)

and a quick google search revealed that these
days, "ASCII charts" are either made by people
who thinks ASCII is what their Windows box is
using, or people who think an ASCII character
is whatever your browser displays when you
hand it an &#nnn; escape, for any value of nnn.

I guess I'm getting too old for this...

:::

anyway, here's a correct ASCII chart:

    http://czyborra.com/charsets/iso646.html

</F>

Wed, 21 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 escape sequences and str

Quote:

> \177 is a control character (DEL), not a printable
> character.

And of course, we all know that's so DEL would have all the bits set, so no
matter what character is on the paper tape, you could overwrite it with DEL.

--
Darren New / Senior MTS & Free Radical / Invisible Worlds Inc.
San Diego, CA, USA (PST).  Cryptokeys on demand.

Wed, 21 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 escape sequences and str
Out of curiosity, does anyone remember any chad-ish related issues or
even what it may have been called then?

Emile van Sebille

Quote:

>> \177 is a control character (DEL), not a printable
>> character.

> And of course, we all know that's so DEL would have all the bits set, so no
> matter what character is on the paper tape, you could overwrite it with DEL.

Wed, 21 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 escape sequences and str

Quote:
> Out of curiosity, does anyone remember any chad-ish related issues or
> even what it may have been called then?

The best reference I know of is the Jargon File; start with "Punched
Card" and follow the references at the bottom:

    http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/jargon/html/entry/punched-card.html

I don't remember anything like this myself, though some co-workers do.
ISTR once seeing a punched card, though.

--
         Carey Evans  http://home.clear.net.nz/pages/c.evans/

Thu, 22 May 2003 06:16:28 GMT
 escape sequences and str
Quote:
> And of course, we all know that's so DEL would have all the bits set, so
no
> matter what character is on the paper tape, you could overwrite it with

DEL.

Wow.  Now that I've never known.  Huh!

-- j

Thu, 22 May 2003 14:51:21 GMT

1. new? string translate str str str

2. escaping sequence in files

3. printing escape sequences in clarion reports

4. Sending Escape Sequences to Line Printers

5. Escape sequences for CANON LBP-4U

6. Printing Escape Sequences to HP LJ11

7. Printer Eats HP Escape Sequences

8. Escape sequences for OL 600EX OKI printer

9. Faxing Using Epson Escape Sequences?

10. Escape code sequence

11. Use of ANSI escape sequences in REXX scripts

12. Escape Sequences in Strings