Off topic: What usenet news reader to use?
Author Message
 Off topic: What usenet news reader to use?

I haven't used Usenet news for a long time. Now that I have subscribed
to python-list I find that email does not scale well to the high volumne
of discussion. Instead of deleting emails all day I think I should go
back to Usenet news. Is there any good Windows news reader you would
recommend. I'm happily using Opera as the browser. But it's
revolutionary news and email reader eludes me. What are you using?

By the way I'm also looking for a free or low cost email client. My
company is using Outlook but I want to find one for personal use. Thank
you for you suggestions.

Wai Yip Tung

Sun, 09 Oct 2005 02:29:33 GMT
 Off topic: What usenet news reader to use?

Quote:
>I haven't used Usenet news for a long time. Now that I have subscribed
>to python-list I find that email does not scale well to the high volumne
>of discussion. Instead of deleting emails all day I think I should go
>back to Usenet news. Is there any good Windows news reader you would
>recommend. I'm happily using Opera as the browser. But it's
>revolutionary news and email reader eludes me. What are you using?

>By the way I'm also looking for a free or low cost email client. My
>company is using Outlook but I want to find one for personal use. Thank
>you for you suggestions.

You don't say whether you're interested in an offline or online reader
so here's both. In no particular order, have you tried:

* Outlook Express
* Free Agent
* Mozilla
* XNews
* And what's wrong with the one in Opera 7.10?

--
Dale Strickland-Clark
Riverhall Systems Ltd

Sun, 09 Oct 2005 03:55:13 GMT
 Off topic: What usenet news reader to use?

Quote:
> I haven't used Usenet news for a long time. Now that I have subscribed
> to python-list I find that email does not scale well to the high volumne
> of discussion. Instead of deleting emails all day I think I should go
> back to Usenet news. Is there any good Windows news reader you would
> recommend. I'm happily using Opera as the browser. But it's
> revolutionary news and email reader eludes me. What are you using?

Just started using GNUS -- very nice if you already use emacs.  Better
than pine for reading news over a dialup connection, and does
threading better, too.  Not Windows-specific, but both work fine in
Windows.

Quote:
> By the way I'm also looking for a free or low cost email client. My
> company is using Outlook but I want to find one for personal use. Thank
> you for you suggestions.

Depends what you like.  I like to use IMAP so I can get at my mail
from anywhere.  Pine and Mulberry do IMAP OK.  Pine is very easy to
use (it is once set up, anyway), does (almost) everything I want and
is text menu-based; also does newsreading.  Mulberry is a nice, but
non-free, graphical client with masses of bells and whistles,
including disconnected operation (disconnected mode was a little buggy
about five months ago, not sure how it is now).

fastmail.fm is a good IMAP service provider -- once-off fee for decent
bandwidth and space plus a webmail system to fall back on, repeating
fee if you want support and more bandwidth / space.  Good filtering
system using the Sieve language.

John

Sun, 09 Oct 2005 04:07:38 GMT
 Off topic: What usenet news reader to use?

Quote:
> I haven't used Usenet news for a long time. Now that I have subscribed
> to python-list I find that email does not scale well to the high volumne
> of discussion. Instead of deleting emails all day I think I should go
> back to Usenet news. Is there any good Windows news reader you would
> recommend. I'm happily using Opera as the browser. But it's
> revolutionary news and email reader eludes me. What are you using?

I use XNews in conjunction with Hamster.

XNews may be found at http://xnews.newsguy.com/
Hamster may be found at http://www.tglsoft.de/

XNews is arguably one of the best online newsreaders available for Windows,
but it doesn't work so well in offline mode (i.e. not connected to a news
server), hence the reason why I use Hamster. Hamster is a local news/mail
server, so I use it to provide XNews with what looks like a single newsfeed
although it contains newsgroups from several different news servers, and
also mailing lists converted into local newsgroups.

Sun, 09 Oct 2005 16:24:52 GMT
 Off topic: What usenet news reader to use?

Quote:

> > I haven't used Usenet news for a long time. Now
> that I have subscribed
> > to python-list I find that email does not scale
> well to the high volumne

I also want to switch over to a newsgroup for the same
reason so I downloaded xnews and tried to access
these:

comp.lang.python
and
comp.lang.python.announce

I get error: "10110 unknown error while looking up
comp.lang.python[.announce]"

What's up?

Thanks,
Stan

http://search.yahoo.com

Mon, 10 Oct 2005 02:32:51 GMT
 Off topic: What usenet news reader to use?
On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 20:55:13 +0100, Dale Strickland-Clark

Quote:

>>I haven't used Usenet news for a long time. Now that I have subscribed
>>to python-list I find that email does not scale well to the high volumne
>>of discussion. Instead of deleting emails all day I think I should go
>>back to Usenet news. Is there any good Windows news reader you would
>>recommend. I'm happily using Opera as the browser. But it's
>>revolutionary news and email reader eludes me. What are you using?

>>By the way I'm also looking for a free or low cost email client. My
>>company is using Outlook but I want to find one for personal use. Thank
>>you for you suggestions.

>You don't say whether you're interested in an offline or online reader
>so here's both. In no particular order, have you tried:

>* Outlook Express
>* Free Agent
>* Mozilla
>* XNews
>* And what's wrong with the one in Opera 7.10?

I get back Free Agent, which I have used years ago. It still work
well! The comp.lang.python looks much more usable compare to emails. I
have renew appreciation of the Usenet news.

Actually Opera's new reader works OK. Its M2 email client eludes me.
It miscategorized my email and I can't figure out how to orgranize.
After a while I gave up.

Wai Yip

Mon, 10 Oct 2005 05:17:38 GMT
 Off topic: What usenet news reader to use?
[Tung Wai Yip]

Quote:
> On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 20:55:13 +0100, Dale Strickland-Clark

> >>Is there any good Windows news reader you would recommend.
> >In no particular order, have you tried: Outlook Express, Free Agent,
> >Mozilla, XNews, [...] Opera 7.10?
> I get back Free Agent[...]  Actually Opera's new reader works OK.
> Its M2 email client eludes me.  [...]

I'm not a MS Windows user.  Yet I use Gnus (over Emacs) for reading and
replying to both email and news, and am rather satisfied with it.  However,
it surely has hundreds of commands and knobs, which might overall frighten
a newcomer, so I do not know if it reasonable to recommend it or not. :-)

Gnus allows handling of high volumes with ease, in my opinion.  I heard
that people successfully run Gnus in a MS Windows environment, so it
might be a solution to your seek, who knows!

--
Fran?ois Pinard   http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~pinard

Mon, 10 Oct 2005 05:37:53 GMT
 Off topic: What usenet news reader to use?
Hi,

I know it's not answering your question ... but as an alternative I just use
google.
I don't respond to many messages, speed is OK'ish for what I use it for and
posting isn't really a big hassle anyway.  Worth looking at:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&group=comp.lang.python

Ray Smith

Quote:
> I haven't used Usenet news for a long time. Now that I have subscribed
> to python-list I find that email does not scale well to the high volumne
> of discussion. Instead of deleting emails all day I think I should go
> back to Usenet news. Is there any good Windows news reader you would
> recommend. I'm happily using Opera as the browser. But it's
> revolutionary news and email reader eludes me. What are you using?

> By the way I'm also looking for a free or low cost email client. My
> company is using Outlook but I want to find one for personal use. Thank
> you for you suggestions.

> Wai Yip Tung

Mon, 10 Oct 2005 07:00:47 GMT
 Off topic: What usenet news reader to use?

Quote:
> I also want to switch over to a newsgroup for the same
> reason so I downloaded xnews and tried to access
> these:

> comp.lang.python
> and
> comp.lang.python.announce

> I get error: "10110 unknown error while looking up
> comp.lang.python[.announce]"

Sounds like a Winsock error during DNS lookup?
Did you enter your newsserver's hostname (often news.provider.com or
something like that) correctly?

--
JanC

Mon, 10 Oct 2005 07:01:06 GMT
 Off topic: What usenet news reader to use?
You could use XEmacs/Gnus as your newsreader, which should work well
under most operating systems, including Win32. The learning curve is a
little steep, especially if you aren't already an Emacs user, but it's
a wonderful newsreader, with great editing features when you want to
post or reply.

As far as mail clients go, I don't know what to recommend. When last I
looked, none of the Emacs based mail readers did well with IMAP
accounts (though this oculd well have changed). At work we are forced
to use Outlook (*sigh*). I use a webmail client (IMP) to read my
personal mail when at work, and Evolution when at home, though the
stability issues of Evolution are starting to annoy me.

Nick

--
#include<stdio.h> /* SigMask 0.3 (sig.c) 19990429 PUBLIC DOMAIN "Compile Me" */
int main(c,v)char *v;{return !c?putchar(*v-1)&&main(0,v+ /* Tweaks welcomed. */

Wed, 12 Oct 2005 01:10:22 GMT

1. off topic request (mail reader)

2. Off-topic: news servers

3. Off topic..who has used PowerBuilder?

4. Off-topic Q: using fgetc with VC6.0

5. Considering realbasic for Usenet reader

6. One way to kick Scott Nudd's ass off Usenet

7. How to start a usenet news group ?

8. UseNet news to listserv gateway for comp.lang.apl moving [No

9. Off topic? Y'all'r off topic!!!

10. Problem? USENET NEWS split

11. Some tools for usenet news, nngrab and nnpost

12. Z/90, S/390, 370/ESA (slightly off topic)