newbie to shelves
Author Message
 newbie to shelves

Hi all,

I have a simple program:

import shelve
dbase  = shelve.open("foo")

This runs fine the first time, and dutifully creates a file named
"foo".  But anytime after that, I get an error "anydbm.error:  db type
could not be determined"

The OS "file" command says that "foo" is a "Berkeley DB: 2.X Hash/Little
Endian (Version 5)".  I'm running on Red Hat 6.1.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?  The online docs, and the O'Reilly book
aren't leading me anywhere.  I checked for a FAQ in this group, but
didn't see one.

Thanks in advance!

-Chris

Thu, 05 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 newbie to shelves

Quote:

> import shelve
> dbase  = shelve.open("foo")

> This runs fine the first time, and dutifully creates a file named
> "foo".  But anytime after that, I get an error "anydbm.error:  db type
> could not be determined"

> The OS "file" command says that "foo" is a "Berkeley DB: 2.X Hash/Little
> Endian (Version 5)".  I'm running on Red Hat 6.1.

> Any idea what I'm doing wrong?  The online docs, and the O'Reilly book
> aren't leading me anywhere.  I checked for a FAQ in this group, but
> didn't see one.

I'm not sure if I should blame RedHat, but I had the same problem
after installing RH-6.1.

My solution was to build python from source and re-install.

hth,
/steffen
--

Fri, 06 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 newbie to shelves

-Doug-

> This runs fine the first time, and dutifully creates a file named
> "foo".  But anytime after that, I get an error "anydbm.error:  db type
> could not be determined"

> The OS "file" command says that "foo" is a "Berkeley DB: 2.X
> Hash/Little
> Endian (Version 5)".  I'm running on Red Hat 6.1.

> Any idea what I'm doing wrong?  The online docs, and the O'Reilly book
> aren't leading me anywhere.  I checked for a FAQ in this group, but
> didn't see one.

> Thanks in advance!

> -Chris

> --

Fri, 06 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Newbie Newbie, we are all Newbie to something

2. Eiffel Shelf

3. Eiffel Shelf: Request for contributions

4. Large / Shelf label printing

5. New free contributions to the Eiffel Shelf

6. Eiffel components: call for new contributions to the Eiffel Shelf

7. Python Shelf

8. Cabinets of Shelves of Pickles

9. equivalent of shelve module in python

10. On the shelves at Computer Literacy

11. Computer workdesk w/ sliding keyboard shelf