Flying With Python (Strong versus Weak Typing) [actually, Static vs Dynamic typing]
Author Message
 Flying With Python (Strong versus Weak Typing) [actually, Static vs Dynamic typing]

Quote:
> > Btw. my pet-peeve in Java is the lack of Ada-like generics, so that in order to
> > avoid casting like hell as you did above, you have to implement your own
> > iterator class for each time.

> Then you'll be happy to hear they now fixed that (upcoming jdk has generics, I
> think).

I don't think that java gets to count features which are much discussed
(and even prototyped) but not yet released. Of course I hold python to
the same standard.

-- Michael Chermside

Sun, 28 Aug 2005 04:07:35 GMT
 Flying With Python (Strong versus Weak Typing) [actually, Static vs Dynamic typing]

Quote:

> > > Btw. my pet-peeve in Java is the lack of Ada-like generics, so that in order to
> > > avoid casting like hell as you did above, you have to implement your own
> > > iterator class for each time.

> > Then you'll be happy to hear they now fixed that (upcoming jdk has generics, I
> > think).

> I don't think that java gets to count features which are much discussed
> (and even prototyped) but not yet released. Of course I hold Python to
> the same standard.

I posted this purely for informational purposes, not to make a point (I don't
even consider using java).

alex

Sun, 28 Aug 2005 07:46:20 GMT

1. Flying With Python (Strong versus Weak Typing)

2. R5RS on static/dynamic and strong/weak typing

3. Strong vs. weak-typing in OO design/languagges

4. von Rossum on Strong vs. Weak Typing

5. Strong vs. Weak Typing

6. Types, types: static vs. dynamic -- classification

7. Types, types: static vs. dynamic --

8. Types, types: static vs. dynamic -- classification

9. Types, types: static vs. dynamic -- classification

10. Static versus dynamic typing [long]

11. My personal conclusion about dynamic versus implicit static typing

12. Strong/Weak typing