jython - extending with java
Author Message
 jython - extending with java

Python is a really easy language to use,
but for certain things not super fast.

Hence, it is useful to be able to code certain things
in other languages.

Extending with C is realtively easy,
but how about java?

Is Jython the only way to do this?

I have been looking a little at jython, and am a little
disappointed with it. The distribution seems to be targeted
mainly towards a WINDOWS platform (and not Linux).
Also, it is quite slow...

Is anyone using jython? Searching comp.python for jython brings up
only posts; most recent is april 2001.

Cheers
Jesper

Mon, 21 Jun 2004 17:45:14 GMT
 jython - extending with java

Quote:
> python is a really easy language to use,
> but for certain things not super fast.

> Hence, it is useful to be able to code certain things
> in other languages.

> Extending with C is realtively easy,
> but how about java?

> Is Jython the only way to do this?

> I have been looking a little at jython, and am a little
> disappointed with it. The distribution seems to be targeted
> mainly towards a WINDOWS platform (and not Linux).
> Also, it is quite slow...

> Is anyone using jython? Searching comp.python for jython brings up
> only posts; most recent is april 2001.

Well, let's see, anything to help someone who's apparently never heard of
Google :-)

http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q=jython%20release&as_ugroup=comp....
thon&lr=lang_en&hl=en

The first post this search brings up is Finn Bock's December 12 (last year!)
announcement of the Jython 2.1 beta. Can you take it from there?

regards
 Steve
--
http://www.holdenweb.com/

Mon, 21 Jun 2004 18:29:01 GMT
 jython - extending with java

Quote:
> Python is a really easy language to use,
> but for certain things not super fast.

> Hence, it is useful to be able to code certain things
> in other languages.

> Extending with C is realtively easy,
> but how about java?

> Is Jython the only way to do this?

Of course not.  See http://sourceforge.net/projects/jpe

Quote:
> I have been looking a little at jython, and am a little
> disappointed with it. The distribution seems to be targeted
> mainly towards a WINDOWS platform (and not Linux).

?! I don't know what you're talking about.  I installed Jython 2.1
on Linux boxes (with Sunsoft's Java SDK 1.3) without a hitch.

Quote:
> Also, it is quite slow...

Yes, so is everything Javaish in my experience.  Apparently 1.4 of
the SDK does make things a bit better wrt Jython.

Quote:
> Is anyone using jython? Searching comp.python for jython brings up
> only posts; most recent is april 2001.

Change your search engine.  Using a good one, i.e. google:
http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q=jython&as_ugroup=comp.lang.pytho...
rb=b&as_mind=1&as_minm=12&as_miny=2001&as_maxd=3&as_maxm=1&as_maxy=2002&num=
20&hl=en
gives me 84 hits -- these are posts in comp.lang.python mentioning
jython since Dec 1, 2001 (i.e. in the last month).

Clearly most jython-specific discussion takes place in its
dedicated mailing lists, but jython discussion is also welcome
here, of course.  After all, jython IS Python!

With Jython 2.1 final just released, and O'Reilly's "Essential
Jython" due to hit the shelves shortly (and an excellent book,
btw -- I'm biased by having technically reviewed it, but...), I
wonder how anybody could happen to harbor such questions as "is
anybody using jython" in their heads.

Alex

Mon, 21 Jun 2004 18:30:46 GMT

1. Problems extending an abstract Java class in Jython.

2. ANN: Java-to-Jython Browser

3. ANN: JinSitu 0.3 - Interactive introspection environment for Java and Jython

4. ANN: JinSitu 0.2 - Interactive introspection environment for Java and Jython

5. getting java stacktrace info in jython

6. velocity of python,jython,java,jit

7. Jython with embedded Java

8. Request for advice - python, wxpython, Jython, java

9. Importing java classes in Jython

10. Jython, IBM's Java, and Red Hat 7.1

11. Embeding Jython In Java

12. jython 2 java class - help?????