COMServer graphical output
Author Message
 COMServer graphical output

Hi,

has some one a hint for me, how to create an graphical output from a
COMServer. To be more specific, I would like to create an COMServer,
which receives some data from ACCESS and return an chart (PIDDLE-GIF)
to be shown on the form. But I did not find anything usefull about
this subject, how to transfer binary data or an image thru the COM
Interface.

Thanks Jens

Sun, 23 May 2004 18:18:21 GMT
 COMServer graphical output
It doesn't seem that this is a COM question at all?  The COM server should
get the data from Access, do whatever to the data, then return it as per
normal.  If the data is being changed in transit try pickling it first.

The server itself shouldn't have a GUI.  It should just be an object like
any other.  In fact, if the server is written in Python, and the client is
written in Python, and both are on the same computer (i.e. not DCOM), using
COM is probably not the best idea.  The server should be a COM client as
well as a python server, but this won't alter its doing work on the graphic
and returning it to a client.

-doug

Quote:
> Hi,

> has some one a hint for me, how to create an graphical output from a
> COMServer. To be more specific, I would like to create an COMServer,
> which receives some data from ACCESS and return an chart (PIDDLE-GIF)
> to be shown on the form. But I did not find anything usefull about
> this subject, how to transfer binary data or an image thru the COM
> Interface.

> Thanks Jens

Mon, 24 May 2004 01:49:46 GMT
 COMServer graphical output

Quote:

> It doesn't seem that this is a COM question at all?  The COM server should
> get the data from Access, do whatever to the data, then return it as per
> normal.

What I trying to do is: The GUI is sending me same datas and I like to
return a chart as a bitmap or something else. I know, I could write
the bitmap in a file and open the file from the GUI, but this is
simply to slow.

Quote:
> The server itself shouldn't have a GUI.  It should just be an object like
> any other.

The GUI is ACCESS 2000 or Visual Basic or something else but NOT
Python. That means, even when I change to an "REAL" SQL-Server, my
front end would still be VISUAL BASIC. The GUI would request some
datas from the SQL-Server, send it to my Python COMServer and my
COMServer would return a chart as a visualisation.

Beside, I know I could do everthing in python (wxWindows, ZODB or
Gadfly, Python). But unforternatly, I have some hardware interfaces
with DLL drivers without source and not the time to put everthing
together by my self with python.

Mon, 24 May 2004 15:11:57 GMT
 COMServer graphical output

Quote:
> > It doesn't seem that this is a COM question at all?  The COM server
should
> > get the data from Access, do whatever to the data, then return it as per
> > normal.

> What I trying to do is: The GUI is sending me same datas and I like to
> return a chart as a bitmap or something else. I know, I could write
> the bitmap in a file and open the file from the GUI, but this is
> simply to slow.

* * *

The best way to do this is to do the processing on the client side.  return
the data that will make the chart and use a VB charting ocx to generate it.
also, see python programming on win32 (pg 166) on how to use excel to do
this.

-d

Wed, 26 May 2004 07:12:00 GMT
 COMServer graphical output
Quote:

> The best way to do this is to do the processing on the client side.  return
> the data that will make the chart and use a VB charting ocx to generate it.
> also, see python programming on win32 (pg 166) on how to use excel to do
> this.

That is excactly my problem: VB charting ocx does not give me what I
need and even the other charting tools on the market are not usable.
I need an COM server on the CLIENT side which produce a graphic in a
certain way.

Jens

Sat, 29 May 2004 16:29:32 GMT

1. Capturing graphical output?

2. TK and graphical output

3. COMServer questions!!

4. COMServer thru Py2Exe question !!

5. Error connecting to COMServer

6. Find an Utility which make your plain ascii output to graphical output in Windows !!

7. how print output to screen and output file

8. Outputting info from awk and using the info to name the awk output file

9. Create polymorhpic output for I32 input (select output type)

10. rxvt + python problem: script output buffered and interactive output missing

11. HOW TO CAPTURE AN OUTPUT LINE OF A VHDL OUTPUT IN TCL

12. Using a web server to serve the graphical output as shown on...