Parallel Computing
Author Message
 Parallel Computing

I haven't had much luck on finding anything about parallel computing via
Python.  Does python support this?  Or do we just need to write a C
module to run parallel code?  Thanks.

--
Curtis Jensen

http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~cjensen/
FAX (425) 740-1451

Mon, 26 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Parallel Computing

Quote:
>There are modules which wrap parts of MPI and PVM, both are available
>from the starship or look at the vaults for a link to them. If you
>want to have parallel communication between Python programs there are
>many different ways, like Dopy, Pyro, CORBA, SOAP, XML-RPC...

                        .
                        .
                        .
Good answer.  The original questioner wrote
Quote:
>>I haven't had much luck on finding anything about parallel computing via
>>Python.  Does Python support this?  Or do we just need to write a C

                        .
                        .
                        .
It can hardly be overemphasized that "parallel computing"
means different things to different people, and it'll likely
be best for the original questioner to specify his needs a
bit more narrowly.
--

Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net
Personal:  http://starbase.neosoft.com/~claird/home.html

Mon, 26 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Parallel Computing
There are modules which wrap parts of MPI and PVM, both are available
from the starship or look at the vaults for a link to them. If you
want to have parallel communication between Python programs there are
many different ways, like Dopy, Pyro, CORBA, SOAP, XML-RPC...

HTH,
__Janko

--
  Institut fuer Meereskunde             phone: 49-431-597 3989
  Dept. Theoretical Oceanography        fax  : 49-431-565876

  24105 Kiel, Germany

Tue, 27 May 2003 07:39:45 GMT
 Parallel Computing

Quote:

> I haven't had much luck on finding anything about parallel computing
> via Python.  Does Python support this?  Or do we just need to write a
> C> module to run parallel code?  Thanks.

Look here:

 http://www.vex.net/parnassus/apyllo.py/126307487.549099265

Have Fun!
Jerry S.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Wed, 28 May 2003 02:50:50 GMT
 Parallel Computing

Quote:

> I haven't had much luck on finding anything about parallel computing via
> Python.  Does Python support this?  Or do we just need to write a C
> module to run parallel code?

Python does not support shared-memory parallelism, as Python modules
are normally not thread-safe (so Python MT enforces serialization of
threads).

Python happily supports shared-nothing parallelism, as others have
pointed out.

Regards,
Martin

Wed, 28 May 2003 04:46:52 GMT
 Parallel Computing

Quote:

> > I haven't had much luck on finding anything about parallel computing via
> > Python.  Does Python support this?  Or do we just need to write a C
> > module to run parallel code?  Thanks.

> It depends on what you mean exactly by "parallel code", but I suppose
> that for most interpretations the answer is that you can do it in
> Python using existing modules.

> I'll limit myself to the kind of parallel computing that I do myself,
> which is algorithm parallelization implemented via MPI. Version 2.1 of
> ScientificPython (available at
> ftp://dirac.cnrs-orleans.fr/ScientificPython/) contains an interface
> to the most commonly used MPI functions plus the necessary
> infrastructure to make Python run as an MPI application, and to permit
> C extension modules to use MPI as well without linking to it
> (important if you use dynamic libraries). With this package, you can
> use MPI in Python in exactly the same way you would do in C or
> fortran. The data objects that can be passed between processes are
> NumPy arrays and strings.

> However, most real-life parallel code will also contain C code for
> speed; you wouldn't use a parallel machine if speed weren't important.
> But you can end up with an efficient program in which most code is
> Python. For an example, see the development releases (2.1.x) of the
> Molecular Modelling Toolkit (available at
> ftp://dirac.cnrs-orleans.fr/MMTK/).

Sorry I suppose I should have been more specific in what I was asking.
I was looking for something like what Mr. Hinsen suggested.  Though, I
am also interested in RPC;  I didn't expect to get responces about
that.  Glad I did.

bye the way, the above links are a bit off. I believe they should be:
ftp://dirac.cnrs-orleans.fr/pub/ScientificPython/
and
ftp://dirac.cnrs-orleans.fr/pub/MMTK/

Thanks.

--
Curtis Jensen

http://www-bioeng.ucsd.edu/~cjensen/
FAX (425) 740-1451

Wed, 28 May 2003 05:26:16 GMT
 Parallel Computing

Quote:

> Is "Python Parallelization Project" still alive? The link to the MPI
> interface seems broken. Is there anyother place where I can get it?

> http://starship.python.net/crew/hinsen/parallel.html

I can only confirm that the link is broken; I don't have any more
recent information. However, you can try the MPI interface in
ScientificPython, which is available at

    ftp://dirac.cnrs-orleans.fr/pub/ScientificPython/

Rue Charles Sadron                       | Fax:  +33-2.38.63.15.17
45071 Orleans Cedex 2                    | Deutsch/Esperanto/English/
France                                   | Nederlands/Francais

Fri, 30 May 2003 01:29:07 GMT

1. Parallel Computing and Distributed computing

2. Parallel computing (and hard drive space...)

3. Parallel Computing Forum

4. LOGO-L> logo and parallel computing

5. Simple Imperative Languages for Teaching Parallel Computing

6. Scheme extensions for parallel computing.

7. Asynchronous parallel computing

8. CFP:CFP: Reading Workshops on Parallel Computing CFP:CFP

9. Parallel computing on dual-processor pentium

10. Dynamic type and parallel computing

11. Is Co-Array the Future of Parallel Computing?