1.2 Windows install problem with ctl3d32.dll
Author Message
 1.2 Windows install problem with ctl3d32.dll

Quote:
>I have just tried to install python for Win32 1.2 (on Windows 3.1).  It
>unpacked
>itself, boots up, and works as a 'calculator'.  However, as it boots I get
>this
>message:

>  CTL3DV2.DLL
>  This application uses CTL3D32.DLL, which has not been correctly
>  installed

This is a wierd problem with the DLL.  When it initialises, it seems to
check it is in the system directory, and refuse to operate if it isnt.
 Wierd.

The answer is to _remove_ the one from the Python directory.  The readme had
buried in it somewhere to do this.  Actually, I just had a thought - 5 lines
of Python code could do this.  I will do this.

Quote:
>I also have two other errors, when I choose File|Run and File|Import, as
>follows:

>File | Import...
>  Error Message: "Only .py files can be imported"

This only imports the current file - it doesnt currently prompt for a file
name, although I agree it should.  It is designed to import/reload code
after you have edited it.

Quote:
>File | Run..
>  Error Message: "Unable to write to, it is read-only or opened by
>  someone else"

This one is a bit harder to explain away :-)

The code is attempting to save the current window before running it, and the
current window is the interactive window.  The idea here was that the .py
file would be dropped into PythonWin, then run.  I agree this should be
smarter too!

The script running really needs to get a bit smarter even then.  Ideally, it
should prompt for args, and execute the script in the same was as if it was
placed on the command line for Unix/NT Python.

Please anyone feel free to offer to give some of these edges a polish for me
:-)

Quote:
>I presume these are occurring because the dialog to get the file didn't

work.

Unfortunately not - that is the way it is at the moment.

I will fix these points, and hopefully get the "guidemo" problem (only on
win3.1) sorted out RSN.

Mark.

Sat, 18 Oct 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 1.2 Windows install problem with ctl3d32.dll

[advice to delete ctld32.dll from Python directory after copying it
to windows\system]

Great! That works fine.  Sorry if i missed it in the Readme file.

The first thing I did was to run guitest.py.  This crashes on
hiertest.py, but once that is commented out, all the others run fine.
Here's the message:

   >>> hiertest.demoboth()
   Traceback (innermost last):
     File "D:\PROG\PYTHON\scripts\hiertest.py", line 38, in demoboth
       frame.Create('Hier List Test')
     File "D:\PROG\PYTHON\scripts\hierlist.py", line 30, in Create
       mdichild.MDIChildWnd.Create(self, title, resource, style)
     File "D:\PROG\PYTHON\scripts\mdichild.py", line 36, in Create
       self.frame.LoadFrame(resource, style)    # triggers OnCreateClient...
   win32ui: LoadFrame failed

I'm afraid I'm not really up to debugging code yet, I'd just like to know whether
I've installed Python safely at this stage...

Regarding my last questions about 'File | Run...' and 'File | Import..' (Q: why no
fileselection dialog box, A: it s designed to work on the current file), the quickest fix I
can suggest would be to change the menu text from
'Import...' to 'Import Current File', and likewisefor 'Run...'.  The
... suggests to windows users that there is another dialog to follow,
generally a file dialog.

I am very impressed with this language!

--

High Performance Sports                 Tel 0181-211-7000

My opinions in this forum ARE those of High Performance Sports,
because I'm the only one here who can switch on a PC...

Sun, 19 Oct 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 1.2 Windows install problem with ctl3d32.dll

Quote:
> [advice to delete ctld32.dll from Python directory after copying it
> to windows\system]

> Great! That works fine.  Sorry if i missed it in the Readme file.

> The first thing I did was to run guitest.py.  This crashes on
> hiertest.py, but once that is commented out, all the others run fine.
> Here's the message:

<snip>

Yes - this is a problem that is still unresolved.  It only appears on
Win32s.  This is high on my list of problems to fix!

Quote:
> I'm afraid I'm not really up to debugging code yet, I'd just like to know
> whether
> I've installed Python safely at this stage...

Yep - it looks fine.

Quote:
> Regarding my last questions about 'File | Run...' and 'File | Import..'
(Q:
> why no
> fileselection dialog box, A: it s designed to work on the current file),
the
> quickest fix I
> can suggest would be to change the menu text from
> 'Import...' to 'Import Current File', and likewisefor 'Run...'.  The
> ... suggests to windows users that there is another dialog to follow,
> generally a file dialog.

Yes - good idea - however, I believe it _should_ prompt for a file name.
 This is really just slackness on my part!

It would be great if you would like to help out on this sort of stuff.  Not
only will it help other Windows users out, but it will help teach you the
language!

Quote:
> I am very impressed with this language!

Yes - highly impressive.  Just as a matter of interest, my interest in
Python started thus:

Sam Rushing and I where talking about building some tools - specifically a
Windows newsreader.  We initially leant towards C++.

Then we decided a "macro language" would be cool, to allow the users to
customise in a big way.  We started looking a languages.  Sam fell across
Python by accident, and it took us almost no time to decide this was the
language we wanted.

Seeing as we were targetting Windows, an NT port was in order.  Then, just
to see how well Python could be imbedded in a C application, PythonWin was
born.

This freaked us all out - this language was _great_.  From there, it was a
natural evolution from Python being a "macro language" for our application,
to Python being _the_ language for the application.

PythonWin kept evolving - mainly as a development environment for the
application (eg - hence the "import current file only" limitation!)

Quote:
> My opinions in this forum ARE those of High Performance Sports,
> because I'm the only one here who can switch on a PC...

:-)

Mark.

Sun, 19 Oct 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 1.2 Windows install problem with ctl3d32.dll

Quote:

>[advice to delete ctld32.dll from Python directory after copying it
>to windows\system]

>Great! That works fine.  Sorry if i missed it in the Readme file.

I checked I havent it in python dir, but still WPY wont run.
All I get is two dialog boxes, first saying

'Win32s - error.
Initialization of a dynamic load library failed.
The application will terminate abnormally'

and when i click it away then another stating

'Application Execution Error
Unexpected DOS error:21'

Then nothing ...

Freecell runs fine.

Sun, 19 Oct 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 1.2 Windows install problem with ctl3d32.dll

Quote:
> >[advice to delete ctld32.dll from Python directory after copying it
> >to windows\system]

> >Great! That works fine.  Sorry if i missed it in the Readme file.

> I checked I havent it in python dir, but still WPY wont run.
> All I get is two dialog boxes, first saying

> 'Win32s - error.
> Initialization of a dynamic load library failed.
> The application will terminate abnormally'

I would think that you have the NT versions of the DLL's, rather than the
Win32s versions.

If you grabbed PYTHONWI.ZIP, there should _only_ be the Win32s versions.

If you grabbed win32all.tar.gz, or any of the other .gz's, you will find
_both_ the NT and Win32s DLL's, in the NT and Win32s directories.  Ensure
you delete the NT DLL's, and copy the Win32s version into either the SYSTEM
directory, or the Python directory itself.

If this is _not_ the problem, the only other thing I can think of is you
have an early win32s - 1.20 is required.

Hope this helps...

Mark.

Fri, 24 Oct 1997 03:00:00 GMT

1. 1.2 Windows install problem with ctl3d32.dll

2. ctl3d32.dll, Python/win32 install issues

3. CTL3D.DLL, CTL3D32.DLL, CTL3DV2.DLL and Clipper/Fivewin/R&R

4. CTL3D32.DLL

5. Ada binding to MS ctl3d32.dll

6. ctl3d32.dll?

7. ANNOUNCE: tcl install shell version 1.2

8. Java Plugin 1.2 (Java 1.2)

9. Windows 98 and APL*PLUS III ver 1.2 - won't load

10. Vouch32.lib 1.2 Clipper to Windows Interface

11. Mise a jour de Xbase 1.1 a 1.2 sous Windows nt server 3.51

12. Upgrade Xbase++ 1.1 to 1.2 and Windows Nt server 3.51