Building "non-standard" standard extensions
Author Message
 Building "non-standard" standard extensions

I'll explain...

The Windows distribution of python does *not* come with the readline module
included, not surprisingly as readline is GPL, and not commonly available for
Windows.

However, I do have a binary version of the readline library available. Can I
build the readline module for Windows usingh this? Ideally, I'd like to do
this *without* having to rebuild the whole of Python for Windows (I'm happy
with just using the normal build for everything else). I've never built Python
for myself, so apologies if the answer to this is "obvious"...

(BTW, this doesn't just apply to readline - I have various other libraries
such as a curses port, which I wouldn't mind trying to integrate as well...)

Thanks,
Paul

Sat, 13 Sep 2003 04:22:16 GMT
 Building "non-standard" standard extensions

Quote:

> However, I do have a binary version of the readline library
> available. Can I build the readline module for Windows usingh this?
> Ideally, I'd like to do this *without* having to rebuild the whole
> of Python for Windows (I'm happy with just using the normal build
> for everything else). I've never built Python for myself, so
> apologies if the answer to this is "obvious"...

Building the readline module alone should be possible. I'm not sure
whether the interactive interpreter will use it - it only tries if
stdin isatty.

Quote:
> (BTW, this doesn't just apply to readline - I have various other libraries
> such as a curses port, which I wouldn't mind trying to integrate as well...)

That should work as well.

Regards,
Martin

Mon, 15 Sep 2003 15:13:43 GMT
 Building "non-standard" standard extensions
Of course, the downside is that once you integrate GPL code into your
Python, then it's tainted by the GPL and anything you build with it is
subsequently GPL'd. I think this is so because there was a lot of not
using GCC until they LGPL'd the libraries so that resulting code
wouldn't be GPL.

Regards,

Dave LeBlanc

On 29 Mar 2001 09:13:43 +0200, Martin von Loewis

Quote:

>> However, I do have a binary version of the readline library
>> available. Can I build the readline module for Windows usingh this?
>> Ideally, I'd like to do this *without* having to rebuild the whole
>> of Python for Windows (I'm happy with just using the normal build
>> for everything else). I've never built Python for myself, so
>> apologies if the answer to this is "obvious"...

>Building the readline module alone should be possible. I'm not sure
>whether the interactive interpreter will use it - it only tries if
>stdin isatty.

>> (BTW, this doesn't just apply to readline - I have various other libraries
>> such as a curses port, which I wouldn't mind trying to integrate as well...)

>That should work as well.

>Regards,
>Martin

Tue, 16 Sep 2003 04:12:21 GMT

1. Forth standards (was "forth standard?")

2. F77 "standard" extensions

3. RESULTS: Tcl/Tk "standard" extensions survey

4. "standard" Tcl/Tk extensions, survey

5. "Standard" Windows Mac OS X Menu

6. Explanation of "semantics" in the standard

7. Logo "standard"?

8. Logo "standard"?

9. Logo "standard"?

10. "gepp" as a NICE standard