ANN: editable Python To-DO List now live at www.python.org
Author Message
 ANN: editable Python To-DO List now live at www.python.org

our illustrious leader has given me permission [wink] to broadcast to the
python community that there is now an editable python TO-DO (a la the FAQ
Wizard) list at

http://www.*-*-*.com/

there is a broad range of topics, so if you have an idea to make python
better in any way, go put it on the list. of course, placing an item on the
list does not guarantee its inclusion in future releases, but please
include your idea anyway--getting ideas into the discussion is very
important; you may come up with something that sparks another neat idea.

even more important, however, is volunteering to get some of these things
done. your few hours of work can save MANY man hours of your colleagues
reinventing the wheel. . .

thanks for your time, consideration, and dedication to python.

sincerely,
jason mcvay

http://www.*-*-*.com/
Resident Hall Director
Judicial Coordinator
Webmaster

-----
For powerful programming, go to http://www.*-*-*.com/

Python Rules! What a GREAT OO language!

Mon, 08 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 ANN: editable Python To-DO List now live at www.python.org

Quote:

>our illustrious leader has given me permission [wink] to broadcast to the
>python community that there is now an editable python TO-DO (a la the FAQ
>Wizard) list at

>http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/todo.py

        If I may suggest there is a small error in this information.
There is a TODO list, and it is very nice. But it is _not_ editable
by the general public. A password is required, and you have to be
a member of the PSA to be told it.

        Again, if I may suggest, this disadvantages several
groups of people, including those who are poor, and those
who are not in North America (where the cost and hassle of
sending $US50 is much more than the actual $US50 joining
fee)

John Max Skaller                ph:61-2-96600850

http://www.maxtal.com.au/~skaller  Glebe 2037 NSW AUSTRALIA

Tue, 09 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 ANN: editable Python To-DO List now live at www.python.org

Quote:

>    If I may suggest there is a small error in this information.
> There is a TODO list, and it is very nice. But it is _not_ editable
> by the general public. A password is required, and you have to be
> a member of the PSA to be told it.

Nope.  The password field should be left blank.  There.  Now you know the
secret password.

It's the FAQ wizard which requires a password.  The TODO list is free for
all (until it's abused, at which point it will require a password).

--david

Tue, 09 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 ANN: editable Python To-DO List now live at www.python.org
[David Ascher]

Quote:
> ... The password field should be left blank.  There.  Now you
> know the secret password.

> It's the FAQ wizard which requires a password.  The TODO list
> is free for all (until it's abused, at which point it will
> require a password).

Will that be this week or next <0.7 wink>?  Seriously, it would help if
Guido clarified the purpose, lest it degenerate into a random wish-list of
every misfeature everyone misses from every language on earth.  At the start
of this, I got the impression that only things that either *would* be done,
or at least very seriously considered, would show up here.

Or did the real todo list move somewhere else <wink/frown>?

unfettered-brainstorming-is-great-but-it's-not-a-todo-
    list-ly y'rs  - tim

PS:  I say everyone should earn a vial of "Snake Venom" for each
problem/question they help solve/answer on the newsgroup.  Then they can go
to the todo list and "inject" as much venom as they like into the todos of
their choice.  Guido can detoxify (earn) the venom infesting a todo by
implementing it, and CNRI will henceforth only pay him in exchange for
detoxified venom, at an adjustable exchange rate to be determined by
periodic newsgroup vote.  Now could I force the use of a password by posting
*that* as a todo <wink>?

Tue, 09 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 ANN: editable Python To-DO List now live at www.python.org
[DA]

Quote:
> > It's the FAQ wizard which requires a password.  The TODO list
> > is free for all (until it's abused, at which point it will
> > require a password).

[TP]

Quote:
> Will that be this week or next <0.7 wink>?  Seriously, it would help
> if Guido clarified the purpose, lest it degenerate into a random
> wish-list of every misfeature everyone misses from every language on
> earth.  At the start of this, I got the impression that only things
> that either *would* be done, or at least very seriously considered,
> would show up here.

A wish-list is a good thing, and I'm not convinced that it's possible
to keep it separated from a TODO list.  I've tried to maintain TODO
lists before and they always degenerated into wish-lists.  There are
usually items on TODO lists that are so much work or have so many
dubious consequences that they never get done -- yet they come up time
and again as user wishes, so ignoring them isn't a good idea.  I
intend to add comments to items that appear particularly unrealistic.

The idea is also that people interested in a particular item, no
matter how unrealistic, could start playing with it and add a note
"I'm working on this" to the TODO item; that would avoid duplicate
work.

On the other hand, wishes for undesirable things will just be deleted
-- or a rejection note added as a comment.  My experience with the FAQ
wizard is that the big problem is not to keep people from adding
garbage, but to encourage people to add stuff at all!

(The TODO wizard is at http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/todo.py.
The FAQ wizard is at http://grail.cnri.reston.va.us/cgi-bin/faqw.py.)

Tue, 09 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. ANN: editable Python To-DO List now live at www.python.org

2. New editable Python TO-DO List at www.python.org

3. ANNOUNCE: www.python.org mirror on www.python.net

4. Suggestion for download of Python 2 from www.python.org

5. Python Homepage www.python.org

6. ANN: Python User Groups page at python.org

7. ANN: Python User Groups page at python.org

8. ANNOUNCE Take 2: python-win32 mailing list on mail.python.org

9. python-list@python.org

10. #define python-list@python.org '#define'

11. ANNOUNCE Take 2: python-win32 mailing list on mail.python.org

12. python-list@python.org Removed