JPE 2.0 The Java-python Extension
Author Message
 JPE 2.0 The Java-python Extension

This is the official announcement of the second version of JPE.

JPE (The Java-Python Extension) is a production-grade seamless
integration of python and Java.
JPE lets you call Java objects and classes from Python, and vice-versa,
within the same process space. JPE is reentrant (cross-language
callbacks), and supports multi-threading concurently in Java and Python.

The reference web site for JPE is http://www.*-*-*.com/

As compared to its first release:

1) Build
The build system of JPE is based on a new build library (libplus):

  - Java and python are auto-detected from the command line, and
everything else is derived from there
(Java libraries, library paths...).

  - libplus generated its own makefiles, and runtime environment (env
variables) for the build and test phases; so there is no need to set-up
anything

  - everything is now plateform-independant, and the same scripts are
used on Win32 and posix (no more GNU make / cygwin make required on
windows)

  - JPE has been ported to posix environments. However, a shared python
library is required on these platforms. You can build your onw, or use
the branched version of Python 2.1, named 'pythonx', which is provided
for these purposes.

  - JPE is distributed in source form from CVS. Substantial efforts have
been invested to provide a config and build environment that makes it
straightforward to configure, build from source, and test
multi-component, multi-platform software systems. Hopefully, that can be
one step ahead from the current autoconf or distutil systems.
Easily extensible to support arbitrary software components and tools,
libplus currently supports C, C++, Python, Java, and swig wrappers.
Libplus generates configuration-specific makefiles that chain software
component dependencies together, and provides runtime software/tool
configuration information.
Litteratly, this is an 'open-source' project :))

2) New capabilities of JPE, for the 2d release:

- Java bean support: Jbean properties are accessed as regular python
attributes

- Cross-language native array access: JPE integrates the bufarray python
extension type; a layer on top of the python buffer interface that
provides type-safe access to contiguous fixed-length C arrays (actually,
99% of the situations in scientific C or fortran libraries).
This integration permits to safely access arrays by shared memory
reference between Java, Python, and C; while hidding the native memory
format.

3) Acknowledgements:

Arakn, and The Molecular Graphics Laboratory at The Scripps Research
Institute.

Benevolently yours,

Frdric Giacometti

Sun, 15 Aug 2004 05:14:25 GMT
 JPE 2.0 The Java-python Extension

Quote:

> -?JPE?is?distributed?in?source?form?from?CVS.?Substantial?efforts?have
> been invested to provide a config and build environment that makes it
> straightforward to configure, build from source, and test
> multi-component, multi-platform software systems. Hopefully, that can be
> one step ahead from the current autoconf or distutil systems.
> Easily extensible to support arbitrary software components and tools,
> libplus currently supports C, C++, Python, Java, and swig wrappers.
> Libplus generates configuration-specific makefiles that chain software
> component dependencies together, and provides runtime software/tool
> configuration information.
> Litteratly, this is an 'open-source' project :))

I'm assuming this paragraph is in reference to the libplus part of your
system. I happen to be interested, and grabbed the current cvs, but
unfortunately there's not _one_ piece of documentation that comes with it. I
realize you're still in development, but learning the entire structure of
your code just to see if it's useful to me is a bit much, I'm sorry to say :)

Would it be possible for you to include a simple README in libplus which
outlines its usefulness as a

Quote:
> config and build environment that makes it
> straightforward to configure, build from source, and test
> multi-component, multi-platform software systems ?

That's exactly one area with which the scipy project has struggled and it
would be great if your project solved the issue. But I honestly can't really
say, as there is zero documentation included, and most modules have very
terse docstrings.

I'm not trying to disparage your work, but unfortunately without some
documentation it's just very difficult for an outsider to even judge whether
it would be useful for me or not.

Best regards,

f.

Sat, 14 Aug 2004 23:48:00 GMT
 JPE 2.0 The Java-python Extension
Le 26/02/02 ? 13:14, Frederic Giacometti crivit:

Quote:
> This is the official announcement of the second version of JPE.
> [...]

Good to hear you've continued this project. I tried to build it on my
Debian system, which does have a shared Python library by default, but I
didn't get very far.

I wonder how this is supposed to work:

libplus/config/cfgsys.py, line 169:

self.ISSHARED = sysbuild.LDLIBRARY == sysbuild.SHLIBRARY

I couldn't find the string SHLIBRARY variable anywhere in jpe/, libplus/
or my Python sources except in this file, at this line.

Gerhard
--
This sig powered by Python!
Au?entemperatur in Mnchen: 10.8 C      Wind: 5.0 m/s

Sun, 15 Aug 2004 08:15:39 GMT

1. JPE 2.0 The Java-Python Extension

2. JPE 2.0 The Java-Python Extension

3. JPE (Java-Python Extension) V2.0

4. ANNOUNCE: JPE, the Java-Python Extension - first beta release

5. JPE - Java Python Extension Project

6. ANNOUNCE: JPE, the Java-Python Extension - first beta release

7. JPE - Java Python Extension Project

8. JPE: Java - C Python Extension Project

9. JPE (Java-Python Extension) V2.0

10. Using JPE: Problems with the java virtual machine

11. ANN: mx Extension Series for Python 2.0

12. BLT extensions with BeOpen Python 2.0