Annoying install nits for python 1.5, NT 3.51
Author Message
 Annoying install nits for python 1.5, NT 3.51

I downloaded and installed the new python for windows on a NT 3.51 box, and
ran across a couple of annoyances:

(1) instead of taking the default pathname, I decided (momentary brain
spasm?) to install python 1.5 to D:\Program Files\Python1.5 instead of
C:\Python (the default).  When the installer created the program icons,
they pointed to D:\PROGRA~1\Python1.5 instead of "D:\Program
Files\Python1.5".  So I had to go in and fix the icons/shortcuts.  Simple
but annoying.

(2) For the help files, the installer pointed to <pyroot>\doc\python.html,
which does not exist; the correct file is <pyroot>\doc\index.html.

Other than these two items, things went OK.

"This one goes up to eleven."  --  Nigel Tufnel

Tue, 20 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Annoying install nits for python 1.5, NT 3.51

Quote:
> I downloaded and installed the new python for windows on a NT 3.51 box, and
> ran across a couple of annoyances:

> (1) instead of taking the default pathname, I decided (momentary brain
> spasm?) to install python 1.5 to D:\Program Files\Python1.5 instead of
> C:\Python (the default).  When the installer created the program icons,
> they pointed to D:\PROGRA~1\Python1.5 instead of "D:\Program
> Files\Python1.5".  So I had to go in and fix the icons/shortcuts.  Simple
> but annoying.

I have to admit that I don't understand exactly what the WISE
installer code is doing here.  I inherited some code from Mark Hammond
who in turn inherited it from the WISE "installer wizard".

At some point, it converts the variable %MAINDIR% (which points to
where you chose to install things) to the "short filename" format,
which apparently changes "Program Files" to "PROGRA~1".  The
installation of icons and program groups is all done after this point.
I think this is done to support either Windows 95 or Windows 3.1*
(which I actually don't support any more with this installer, but
which the WISE install wizard *does* support).  It could be that on NT
3.51 (which uses the old Win 3.1 style progrma manager but otherwise
is less compatible with Win 95 than NT 4.0) the short filenames don't
do the right thing.

Since I don't have a Win 95 machine to test things on, I'm reluctant
to remove the conversion to short names (I seem to recall that at one
time I read somewhere that it was needed for 95).  I presume that NT
3.51 is, at the moment, in less use than either NT 4.0 or Win 95, so I
am reluctant to spend much time to support it.  (Why haven't you
upgraded to 4.0?)

Quote:
> (2) For the help files, the installer pointed to <pyroot>\doc\python.html,
> which does not exist; the correct file is <pyroot>\doc\index.html.

Guilty as charged.  I fixed one place but not the other.  Will do so
whenever I come out with a patch release.

Tue, 20 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Annoying install nits for python 1.5, NT 3.51

Quote:
>I downloaded and installed the new python for windows on a NT 3.51 box, and
>ran across a couple of annoyances:

>(1) instead of taking the default pathname, I decided (momentary brain
>spasm?) to install python 1.5 to D:\Program Files\Python1.5 instead of
>C:\Python (the default).  When the installer created the program icons,
>they pointed to D:\PROGRA~1\Python1.5 instead of "D:\Program
>Files\Python1.5".  So I had to go in and fix the icons/shortcuts.  Simple
>but annoying.

I recall that is the "normal" behaviour.  For some reason, the short-name
seems to come up.  Do you mean that the icons with the short path names
didnt work?

Quote:
>(2) For the help files, the installer pointed to <pyroot>\doc\python.html,
>which does not exist; the correct file is <pyroot>\doc\index.html.

Was this b1 or b2?  If b1, then I think Guido has fixed it...

Mark.

Wed, 21 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Annoying install nits for python 1.5, NT 3.51

On Fri, 2 Jan 1998 22:02:04 GMT, Guido van Rossum

Quote:

>> I downloaded and installed the new python for windows on a NT 3.51 box, and
>> ran across a couple of annoyances:

>> (1) instead of taking the default pathname, I decided (momentary brain
>> spasm?) to install python 1.5 to D:\Program Files\Python1.5 instead of
>> C:\Python (the default).  When the installer created the program icons,
>> they pointed to D:\PROGRA~1\Python1.5 instead of "D:\Program
>> Files\Python1.5".  So I had to go in and fix the icons/shortcuts.  Simple
>> but annoying.

>I have to admit that I don't understand exactly what the WISE
>installer code is doing here.  I inherited some code from Mark Hammond
>who in turn inherited it from the WISE "installer wizard".

>At some point, it converts the variable %MAINDIR% (which points to
>where you chose to install things) to the "short filename" format,
>which apparently changes "Program Files" to "PROGRA~1".  The
>installation of icons and program groups is all done after this point.
>I think this is done to support either Windows 95 or Windows 3.1*
>(which I actually don't support any more with this installer, but
>which the WISE install wizard *does* support).  It could be that on NT
>3.51 (which uses the old Win 3.1 style progrma manager but otherwise
>is less compatible with Win 95 than NT 4.0) the short filenames don't
>do the right thing.

Just so you know, this is required for Win95 support. I ran into a
similar problem building an InstallShield setup for work. The problem
is apparently the space in "Program Files". For the shortcut to work
on Win95, either you have to use the short form or enclose the entire
thing in quotes - "c:\Program Files\Python\python.exe" or whatever.

Quote:
>Since I don't have a Win 95 machine to test things on, I'm reluctant
>to remove the conversion to short names (I seem to recall that at one
>time I read somewhere that it was needed for 95).  I presume that NT
>3.51 is, at the moment, in less use than either NT 4.0 or Win 95, so I
>am reluctant to spend much time to support it.  (Why haven't you
>upgraded to 4.0?)

>> (2) For the help files, the installer pointed to <pyroot>\doc\python.html,
>> which does not exist; the correct file is <pyroot>\doc\index.html.

>Guilty as charged.  I fixed one place but not the other.  Will do so
>whenever I come out with a patch release.

>--Guido van Rossum (home page: http://www.python.org/~guido/)

-Chris

--
This message brought to you by the National Non-Sequitur Society
We may not make sense, but the panda is a giant racoon.

Wed, 21 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Annoying install nits for python 1.5, NT 3.51

Quote:

>>> I downloaded and installed the new python for windows on a NT 3.51 box, and
>>> ran across a couple of annoyances:

>>> (1) instead of taking the default pathname, I decided (momentary brain
>>> spasm?) to install python 1.5 to D:\Program Files\Python1.5 instead of
>>> C:\Python (the default).  When the installer created the program icons,
>>> they pointed to D:\PROGRA~1\Python1.5 instead of "D:\Program
>>> Files\Python1.5".  So I had to go in and fix the icons/shortcuts.  Simple
>>> but annoying.

>>I have to admit that I don't understand exactly what the WISE
>>installer code is doing here.  I inherited some code from Mark Hammond
>>who in turn inherited it from the WISE "installer wizard".

>>At some point, it converts the variable %MAINDIR% (which points to
>>where you chose to install things) to the "short filename" format,
>>which apparently changes "Program Files" to "PROGRA~1".  The
>>installation of icons and program groups is all done after this point.
>>I think this is done to support either Windows 95 or Windows 3.1*
>>(which I actually don't support any more with this installer, but
>>which the WISE install wizard *does* support).  It could be that on NT
>>3.51 (which uses the old Win 3.1 style progrma manager but otherwise
>>is less compatible with Win 95 than NT 4.0) the short filenames don't
>>do the right thing.

>Just so you know, this is required for Win95 support.

Actually, no, the "generated" / "short" 8.3 filenames created from the LFNs
(Long FileNames) are required for "16-bit" apps - any app which uses the
old DOS / Win 3.x APIs to manipulate files can't handle the LFN features of
the new FAT filesystem so the newer FAT filesystems (and NTFS also)
automagically generate the 8.3 filenames for the old APIs.  IAC, for any
32-bit app (assuming that the path "D:\Program Files\" does exist and is
the _first_ path in D:\ to have that combination of initial letters in its
name), the paths "D:\Program Files\" and "D:\PROGRA~1\" are the same.

Don't know what's wrong with his NT 3.51 setup, unless he had 8.3 filename
generation disabled (which _can_ be done on NT, and is somethimes done to
help filesystem performance).

Quote:
>The problem
>is apparently the space in "Program Files". For the shortcut to work
>on Win95, either you have to use the short form or enclose the entire
>thing in quotes - "c:\Program Files\Python\python.exe" or whatever.

Well, yes, on _any_ Win95 / NT system, if you use LFNs with spaces in them
then you must surround the path with quotes.

Wed, 21 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Annoying install nits for python 1.5, NT 3.51

Quote:

> >The problem
> >is apparently the space in "Program Files". For the shortcut to work
> >on Win95, either you have to use the short form or enclose the entire
> >thing in quotes - "c:\Program Files\Python\python.exe" or whatever.

> Well, yes, on _any_ Win95 / NT system, if you use LFNs with spaces in them
> then you must surround the path with quotes.

One really unpleasant thing I've found on Win95 is that even if you use quotes, it is
impossible
(I would love it if somebody proves me wrong here!) to put a directory with a space in
it
(e.g. "Program Files") into your PATH variable.    I was unable to find any way of
doing this.
For setting PATH on Win95, it seems that you *must* use the PROGRA~1 abomination.

Wed, 21 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Installing Python 1.4 on Win NT 3.51

2. Python Install-Installed Python 2 on top of python 1.5

3. Problem with installing tcl 7.6 windows kit on Win NT 3.51

4. wanted: experiences with python under windows NT 3.51

5. Some questions about python under NT 3.51

6. Installed Python2.1 on top of Python 1.5...

7. Installing Win32all on Python 1.5, problems

8. Need help installing Python 1.5 on Linux

9. ExtensionClass 1.1 binary release for Windows NT/95 and Python 1.5

10. ILU with Python 1.5 under NT

11. Extending Python 1.5/NT 4.0 - HOW?

12. PIL and Python 1.5 for NT