Final Final beta of Win32 Extensions available!
Author Message
 Final Final beta of Win32 Extensions available!

There is a final-final beta of the Win32 Extensions available.  Major
changes
since the last beta are: makepy's OCX support has changes, Pythonwin's
GUI demo now allow syou to select a demo, and most significantly, lots of
COM problems on Win95 have been sorted out.

If you grabbed the last beta, please grab this, (and make sure
you run "guidemo.py" again :-)

The final release will (really honestly) come in a week or so.  Im probably
gunna
call that Pythonwin 1.5!

Significant Changes:
*** OCX Hosting ***
The way makepy generates OCX support have changed.  Old code will break very
slightly -
the way tyou construct the class has changed - no changes should be
necessary to the
actual guts of the code.  This change divorces win32com from Pythonwin for
OCX support.
See the OCX Demos for more details.

*** Win95 without DCOM ***
This release should work fine on Win95.  There were a few small problems
with the old release on
Win95.

**Sources **
All new sources are released

** Installer **
The installer now calls python code to compile all installed .py files.
This Python code also ensures the Uninstall will work correctly (ie, remove
all .pyc files)

There is now a combined installer.  A single installer will install the
win32 extensions, COM extensions, and Pythonwin.  I still intend supporting
the seperate installers, so you have the choice of how you want to install.

** Pythonwin **
Pythonwin supports MFC GUI Threads (ie, threads owning windows and with
message loops).  The GUI Demo shows multiple GUI threads running.

win32traceutil has a brother that works in Pythonwin.

pythonwin is now fully thread safe.  It religously acquires and releases the
Python interpreter lock before doing anything.  This was a large change
which touched almost every source file (fortunately in a somewhat mechanical
way).  A few minor bugs were also found on the way.  More of win32api was
also made thread-safe in the process.

Changed the structure of the .py files to the new hierarchical namespace.
There are now sub-modules pywin.mfc, pywin.framework, pywin.dialogs and
pywin.tools.  Until the naming conversion is complete (and to avoid breaking
everyones code), as soon as the top-level "pywin" is imported, it injects
some of the "old names" into the module namespace.  However, in some
situations code may break - the fix should simply be to change "import
{somemodule}" to "from pywin.framework import {somemodule}"

The demos are far far more useful.  Most now run from the command line or
from within Pythonwin.  All the demos have been touched, and they all do
something useful - even if just display a message box telling you they do
nothing useful :-).  guidemo.py now includes far more test scripts,
including a few you have probably never seen.

Thanks to the improved COM support (below) the demo script is capable of
demoing the OCX controls if they are installed on your system, without any
of the messy "makepy" etc steps required before.
This means Pythonwin can now use any OCX installed on the PC without any
special steps required by the end-user.

** COM **
Lots of new COM documentation in the HTML directory (and referenced by the
readme)

Inspired by Chris Tismer, property accesses for all makepy COM object should
be about 3 times faster - almost up to method speed.

Client side COM has a radically changed (and vastly improved) implementation
and interface.  No code should break, but there is now a somewhat new
"recommended style".

In a nutshell, makepy has changed to a UI based program, and the management
of the generated .py files is somewhat automatic.  It is more analagous with
the way VB uses COM objects - you select the type libraries you wish to work
with, and that is it - magically the generated support becomes available to
Python. (if only the UI was as slick as VB's :)

Even better, there is a programmatic interface to this, so your Python code
can check, and if necessary build, the required support.  All the Python
program need know is the description or IID of the typelibrary.
This leads to the somewhat bizarre situation for OCX controls, where at
runtime Python code generates other Python code which contains its subclass!
Bizarre, but incredibly neat!

The installer package itself is at
http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~mhammond/win32all.exe
or
http://www.*-*-*.com/

(2481215 bytes)

All source zip files are also there (at laby now, and at starwship within 24
hours!)

Please let me know of any problems...

Mark.

Wed, 19 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Final Final beta of Win32 Extensions available!

Quote:
> All source zip files are also there (at laby now, and at starwship within 24
> hours!)

Should I make a mirror trigger for you?
Something like this: You updated several files and wish to publish them.

"startmirror", and the mirror proc is fired?
This would be quite easy for me with procmail, but only if you
would use it.

cheers - pirx

--

Applied Biometrics GmbH      :     Have a break! Take a ride on Python's
Kaiserin-Augusta-Allee 101   :    *Starship* http://starship.skyport.net

Wed, 19 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Final Final beta of Win32 Extensions available!

Hi Mark,

Now that I was successful to write an ActiveX plugin for MSIE in Delphi,
(and this was amazingly easy!) I found that I can use this easily in
other products, like C++Builder or Delphi again. Unfortunately this
is so easy that I can't understand where the real work is done ;-)

Now I want to use the plugin from Python. (I know I could do that
from within MSIE using AX scripting, but that's now what I need).

Question: I can create an instance of my plugin, read and set its
properties and so on. But how can I activate it? There seems to be
some magic with ActiveX which I didn't understand yet.

Or does PythonCom generally not support COM objects which appear
visible in a window? How would I tell it where to appear?
I think I need some container for an ActiveForm control. Any clues?

cheers - pirx

--

Applied Biometrics GmbH      :     Have a break! Take a ride on Python's
Kaiserin-Augusta-Allee 101   :    *Starship* http://starship.skyport.net
10553 Berlin                 :     PGP key -> http://pgpkeys.mit.edu

Wed, 19 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Final Final beta of Win32 Extensions available!

Quote:
> There is a final-final beta of the Win32 Extensions available.  Major

I ran into the following problem while rebuilding the sources: The Win32*.i
files include a file called pywin32.i, which I have been unable to find in
the source tree. I have the following sources:
        BuildTools
        Pythonwin_src
        win32_src
        win32com_src
        Python1_5_tar
        swig1_1p2_tar

I'm a newbe to Python. Am I missing one of the source archives?

-Todd Fleming

Fri, 21 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Final Final beta of Win32 Extensions available!

Um - no - here it is...

(posted as it doesnt appear in my archives anywhere)

Mark.

Quote:
>I ran into the following problem while rebuilding the sources: The Win32*.i
>files include a file called pywin32.i, which I have been unable to find in
>the source tree. I have the following sources:
> BuildTools
> Pythonwin_src
> win32_src
> win32com_src
> Python1_5_tar
> swig1_1p2_tar

begin 666 pywin32.i

`
end
end

Sat, 22 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Final Final beta of Win32 Extensions available!

I copied it into your starship mirror, too.

cheers - pirx

Quote:

--

Applied Biometrics GmbH      :     Have a break! Take a ride on Python's
Kaiserin-Augusta-Allee 101   :    *Starship* http://starship.skyport.net
10553 Berlin                 :     PGP key -> http://pgpkeys.mit.edu

Sun, 23 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Final beta of Win32 Extensions available.

2. One final, final thought

3. Final Call for Visual TriO beta

4. UCalc Fast Math Parser final beta

5. Linder SetupBuilder 3.0 (Final Beta 6)

6. LSPack for CW - OPEN BETA-3 ready for final testing

7. Final beta release of PTUI

8. JIPL: Java interface for Prolog(final beta)

9. Final beta release for the Tcl compiler

10. PIL Win32 binaries for Python 1.6 (final)

11. Final Call, ISQED 2001, NOTE 9/22 deadline extension

12. Release of NT TCL extensions for 8.0 Final