Tkinter code for formatted text in Text widget?
Author Message
 Tkinter code for formatted text in Text widget?

Has anyone out there got a python module (or something) to do simple
formatted text to a Text widget? I'm thinking of something that
understands some sort of simple markup language, and sets text in
the widget accordingly. I just need to produce some decent-looking
help windows. Easy enough to do on my own, but why reinvent the wheel?

Thanks,
Ken
Kenneth McDonald
Genome Sequencing Center

Phone: 314-286-1831

Fri, 09 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Tkinter code for formatted text in Text widget?

Quote:
Ken Mcdonald writes:

 > Has anyone out there got a Python module (or something) to do simple
 > formatted text to a Text widget? I'm thinking of something that
 > understands some sort of simple markup language, and sets text in
 > the widget accordingly. I just need to produce some decent-looking
 > help windows. Easy enough to do on my own, but why reinvent the wheel?

Ken,
  For basic formatting, check out formatter.py.  This is device
independent; see Grail for a way to use HTML and a Tk text widget for
display.  To avoid code bloat and feeping creaturism, you might be
able to produce a stripped-down version of Grail's Viewer.py and
sgml_lex/HTMLParser.py.
  If you find this a useful approach, we'd like to hear about it and
what you had to do to separate these modules from Grail.  Perhaps
simpler versions could be made available which would be more widely
useful.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.

1895 Preston White Drive
Reston, VA    20191-5434

Fri, 09 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Some questions on elided text in the text widget (and a few other text widget questions)

2. Tkinter text-widget, getting the text

3. Outputting formatted text from text widget

4. Text format of text widget

5. Formatting text (TOC) using text widget

6. Importing other text formats into the tk text widget

7. embedding text widgets in other text widgets

8. Req: code snippet for resizing widgets in text widget

9. Selecting text in Tkinter.Text

10. RTF-text format in text fields ?

11. Rendering HTML-formatted text as normal text

12. Tkinter: Text widget and fixed-width fonts