Which Python version is better on Win32
Author Message
 Which Python version is better on Win32

Hi,

I've seen recently that yhere were several releases of python for the MS
Windows platform:
ActivePython is one of them there's also PythonWin which is not branded,
beOpenPython and maybe others.

Which one would you advise me to use and why?

Thanks in advance

TM

Mon, 15 Sep 2003 11:01:48 GMT
 Which Python version is better on Win32

Quote:
> I've seen recently that yhere were several releases of Python for the MS
> Windows platform:
> ActivePython is one of them there's also PythonWin which is not branded,
> beOpenPython and maybe others.

> Which one would you advise me to use and why?

BeOpen Python is the standard 2.0 release, as built by the development team
while they were working at BeOpen (which looks, by the way, as though it
might now BeClosed).

PythonWin is actually just one component of ActiveState's ActivePython
distribution. Unless anyone can tell you any better, it bundles BeOpen
Python with a huge set of add-on goodies devised and produced mostly by Mark
Hammond.

IMHO you would be best advised to go for ActivePython unless you
specifically want a small installation with just the Python language core on
it.

regards
 Steve

Mon, 15 Sep 2003 11:40:27 GMT
 Which Python version is better on Win32
As far as I know, PythonWin isn't a full Python distribution, it's a
(large) add-on which, the last time I looked, is still available in
source from Mark Harrison's CVS. I think you can find it via either
The Vaults of Parnassus or ActiveState's site.

The only real varient I know of with respect to Python is Stackless
Python (which is supposedly about 10% faster, at least on Windows).

Dave LeBlanc

On Wed, 28 Mar 2001 22:40:27 -0500, "Steve Holden"

Quote:

>> I've seen recently that yhere were several releases of Python for the MS
>> Windows platform:
>> ActivePython is one of them there's also PythonWin which is not branded,
>> beOpenPython and maybe others.

>> Which one would you advise me to use and why?

>BeOpen Python is the standard 2.0 release, as built by the development team
>while they were working at BeOpen (which looks, by the way, as though it
>might now BeClosed).

>PythonWin is actually just one component of ActiveState's ActivePython
>distribution. Unless anyone can tell you any better, it bundles BeOpen
>Python with a huge set of add-on goodies devised and produced mostly by Mark
>Hammond.

>IMHO you would be best advised to go for ActivePython unless you
>specifically want a small installation with just the Python language core on
>it.

>regards
> Steve

Tue, 16 Sep 2003 04:24:17 GMT

1. New version of NT/Win32 and GUI versions of Python

2. better at win32/COM/gui: python or perl??

3. New version of Win32 Python.

4. New Win32 versions of Python released.

5. Debug version of Python 2.2 on win32 platform ?

6. Calling Win32 API functions with Gnat 3.09 (Win32 version)

7. ANNOUNCE Take 2: python-win32 mailing list on mail.python.org

8. I am just learning verilog any good books or websites

9. ANN: Win32 Screensaver that uses Python (extending/embedding Python/C)

10. ANNOUNCE Take 2: python-win32 mailing list on mail.python.org

11. python-ldap binary for Python 2.0 under Win32

12. What version of python is the right version?