function/variable name completion in interactive mode of the interpreter
Author Message
 function/variable name completion in interactive mode of the interpreter

hello-

  is there a way to get the interactive mode of the python interpreter
to perform function/variable name (why not identifiers as well?)
completion?

  it seems like it would be nice to be able to press the tab key in the
midst of typing some string and be able to 'complete' the string or see
a list of possible completions which one could 'complete' from --
analogous to shell completions.

  does this sound like a bad idea?

  also, has anyone implemented a similar feature for python-mode for
emacs?

  thanks for your attention.

-sen

Sat, 24 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 function/variable name completion in interactive mode of the interpreter

Quote:
>   is there a way to get the interactive mode of the python interpreter
> to perform function/variable name (why not identifiers as well?)
> completion?

On Unix, if you have enabled the readline module (i.e. if Emacs-style
command line editing and bash-style history works for you), you can
add this by importing the undocumented standard library module
"rlcompleter".  Here's the doc string:

"""Word completion for GNU readline 2.0.

This requires the latest extension to the readline module (the
set_completer() function).  When completing a simple identifier, it
completes keywords, built-ins and globals in __main__; when completing
NAME.NAME..., it evaluates (!) the expression up to the last dot and
completes its attributes.

It's very cool to do "import string" type "string.", hit the
completion key (twice), and see the list of names defined by the
string module!

Tip: to use the tab key as the completion key, call

    readline.parse_and_bind("tab: complete")

Notes:

- Exceptions raised by the completer function are *ignored* (and
generally cause the completion to fail).  This is a feature -- since
readline sets the tty device in raw (or cbreak) mode, printing a
traceback wouldn't work well without some complicated hoopla to save,
reset and restore the tty state.

- The evaluation of the NAME.NAME... form may cause arbitrary
application defined code to be executed if an object with a
__getattr__ hook is found.  Since it is the responsibility of the
application (or the user) to enable this feature, I consider this an
acceptable risk.  More complicated expressions (e.g. function calls or
indexing operations) are *not* evaluated.

- GNU readline is also used by the built-in functions input() and
raw_input(), and thus these also benefit/suffer from the completer
features.  Clearly an interactive application can benefit by
specifying its own completer function and using raw_input() for all
its input.

- When the original stdin is not a tty device, GNU readline is never
used, and this module (and the readline module) are silently inactive.

"""

Thu, 29 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. interpreter does nothing in interactive mode

2. How to tell if interpreter is in interactive mode

3. Interactive PHP Mode / Interpreter?

4. Trouble using variables for function names in function declarations

5. Trouble using variables for function names in function declarations

6. Bug in Tutorial on name completion in interactive mode...

7. ANN: rlcompleter2 0.95 Interactive Completion

8. rlcompleter2 <TAB> interactive completion

9. Interactive Console Program with Tab-Completion

10. rlcompleter2 <TAB> interactive completion

11. ANN: rlcompleter2 0.95 Interactive Completion

12. Using a variable name for a variable name??