Python 1.5 docs in Windows Help format? 
Author Message
 Python 1.5 docs in Windows Help format?

I know that it exists for 1.4, but:
Is the python 1.5 documentation (especially the library) available
in Windows Help format?
This would be very usefull for context sensitive help...

Thomas Heller



Mon, 28 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 Python 1.5 docs in Windows Help format?

Quote:

>I know that it exists for 1.4, but:
>Is the Python 1.5 documentation (especially the library) available
>in Windows Help format?
>This would be very usefull for context sensitive help...

I'd like to support this and other votes to make Python Help
more suitable than that borrowing HTML-format!
Last one is good for Internet, but practically useless in
everyday and every minute usage. PDF format is excellent
for printing manuals, but I do not want to scan pages each time
to find out exact calling conventions for this or that function.

The best way will be to create command line help, like in other
programming systems, as MATLAB (from very early versions)
and compatibles, Yorick, etc.
Even old DOS do have command line help, but do not the Python!

Why?

Andy K.



Mon, 28 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 Python 1.5 docs in Windows Help format?

Hello.

Quote:

> I'd like to support this and other votes to make Python Help
> more suitable than that borrowing HTML-format!
> Last one is good for Internet, but practically useless in
> everyday and every minute usage.

   You are wrong. For me, HTML is best format for everyday usage.
I am sysadmin, I am running WWW servers, so it's so easy to install
HTML help and use it every minute.
   If I need search, I'll run glimpse over HTML tree, no problem.

   Hope HTML-formatted docs would not die.

Oleg.
----

           Programmers don't die, they just GOSUB without RETURN.



Mon, 28 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 Python 1.5 docs in Windows Help format?

Quote:
>> I'd like to support this and other votes to make Python Help
>> more suitable than that borrowing HTML-format!
>> Last one is good for Internet, but practically useless in
>> everyday and every minute usage.

>   You are wrong. For me, HTML is best format for everyday usage.
>I am sysadmin, I am running WWW servers, so it's so easy to install
>HTML help and use it every minute.
>   If I need search, I'll run glimpse over HTML tree, no problem.
>   Hope HTML-formatted docs would not die.

FWIW, WinHelp is dead; Microsoft is switching to an
HTML-based system:

http://www.microsoft.com/msdn/news/htmlhelp.htm

Dunno how hard it would be to tweak the existing HTML
files so they can be used by HTML Help.  Any volunteers
out there?

Cheers /F

http://www.pythonware.com



Mon, 28 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 Python 1.5 docs in Windows Help format?

Quote:

> > I'd like to support this and other votes to make Python Help
> > more suitable than that borrowing HTML-format!
> > Last one is good for Internet, but practically useless in
> > everyday and every minute usage.

>    You are wrong. For me, HTML is best format for everyday usage.
> I am sysadmin, I am running WWW servers, so it's so easy to install
> HTML help and use it every minute.
>    If I need search, I'll run glimpse over HTML tree, no problem.

>    Hope HTML-formatted docs would not die.

This may depend on your platform and on your preferences.

The best would be if there is
  - documentation source (LaTeX or whatever) available
and
  - converters to generate the formats preferred.

Under windows, the WinHelp format has some advantages.
The situation may change, because MS is propagating HTML now.

I just read in the Python 1.4 docs that they were generated
with a tool written in Python parsing HTML-files and feeding
the output via OLE into MS-Word.

Are these tools still available? (Mark?)

Thomas Heller



Mon, 28 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 Python 1.5 docs in Windows Help format?



Quote:
> I am sysadmin, I am running WWW servers, so it's so easy to install
> HTML help and use it every minute.
>    If I need search, I'll run glimpse over HTML tree, no problem.

glimpse?

Richard



Mon, 28 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 Python 1.5 docs in Windows Help format?

Quote:
>glimpse?

http://glimpse.cs.arizona.edu/

Cheers /F

http://www.pythonware.com



Mon, 28 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 Python 1.5 docs in Windows Help format?

Hello.

Quote:

> >    If I need search, I'll run glimpse over HTML tree, no problem.

> glimpse?

   http://glimpse.cs.arizona.edu/

Oleg.
----

           Programmers don't die, they just GOSUB without RETURN.



Tue, 29 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 Python 1.5 docs in Windows Help format?


Quote:
>...
>>   If I need search, I'll run glimpse over HTML tree, no problem.
>>   Hope HTML-formatted docs would not die.

>FWIW, WinHelp is dead; Microsoft is switching to an
>HTML-based system:

>http://www.microsoft.com/msdn/news/htmlhelp.htm

So, as far I can understand, there is no problem with command-line
help, mean, nobody wants it :-(
I mean not Docs&Manuals, but COMMAND LINE HELP.

And poor owners of out-of-dated Pentiums are going to
wait their monstrous HTML-browsers to awake each time one want
just to get "a little help from my friend"...
I wouldn't even mention that "beggars"  still using Python for DOS.
Who cares of them?
It seems to be too complicated to write in Python its own native,
simple and flexible, os-independent help-system. Better to ask
Sun Systems to keep it's Tcl/Tk to support Python and prey
Microsoft to care of us.
:-(

Andy K.



Tue, 29 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 Python 1.5 docs in Windows Help format?

Quote:
>It seems to be too complicated to write in Python its own native,
>simple and flexible, os-independent help-system. Better to ask
>Sun Systems to keep it's Tcl/Tk to support Python and prey
>Microsoft to care of us.

Not too complicated, but the problem is not trivial.  Harder than the
utility is the maintenance of the documention itself.

Python does HTML parsing, and has lots and lots of options for efficient
indexing.  Why not build your own little system that builds a command-line
style help system from the HTML?  Lots of people would like it :-)

[FWIW, instead of complaining about the lack of winhelp documentation ages
ago, I did exactly what I suggest about (but the output was RTF).  Just put
my head down and did it.]

Mark.



Tue, 29 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 Python 1.5 docs in Windows Help format?

Quote:
>So, as far I can understand, there is no problem with command-line
>help, mean, nobody wants it :-(
>I mean not Docs&Manuals, but COMMAND LINE HELP.

http://starship.skyport.net/~da/Python/Beginners/ihelp.html

Quote:
>And poor owners of out-of-dated Pentiums are going to
>wait their monstrous HTML-browsers to awake each time one want
>just to get "a little help from my friend"...
>I wouldn't even mention that "beggars"  still using Python for DOS.
>Who cares of them?

Stop whining, will you? ;-)

Microsoft's HTML Help is far from being a monstrous browser, but
if you don't like it, fine.  There's plenty of alternatives (INFO, TEX,
HTML, PDF, etc) in the Python universe.

Besides, there's no HTML Help version of the docs available yet,
but one never knows...

Quote:
>It seems to be too complicated to write in Python its own native,
>simple and flexible, os-independent help-system.

Writing the system isn't that hard.  Designing a system that
makes everyone happy might be harder...

Quote:
>Better to ask Sun Systems to keep it's Tcl/Tk to support Python
>and prey Microsoft to care of us.

AFAIK, Sun has dropped Tcl/Tk.  Go figure.

Cheers /F

http://www.pythonware.com



Tue, 29 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 12 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Cost of Having Python 1.5 Docs Printed

2. Python 2.1 docs in HTML Help Format

3. Python 2.1 docs in HTML Help Format

4. ExtensionClass 1.1 binary release for Windows NT/95 and Python 1.5

5. (small) Python 1.5 Bug, Windows and Question

6. Python 1.5 and the Windows Extensions Binaries

7. PyOpenGL for Windows on Python 1.5?

8. Python Install-Installed Python 2 on top of python 1.5

9. Python Spanish docs updated/Docs de Python en castellano

10. Python Spanish docs updated/Docs de Python en casstellano

11. Help with Topspeed Clarion 1.5 for Windows

12. Clarion Windows 1.5 Help Files

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software