Pointers for solving windows GUI problem.
Author Message
 Pointers for solving windows GUI problem.

Greetings all,

I'm posting this question in the hope that someone has already done
this, or something similar, and can perhaps direct me some code or a
tutorial that will shorten the path to a solution.

I have a Windows COM object which renders a series of images into a
window. I can control the COM object using provided API methods. I
don't have the source for the COM object.

I want to do screen grabs of the display of this window at various
stages, so that I can dump them to files, in GIF, JPEG or PNG format.

What I'm looking for is perhaps some sample code that does this or
something similar. Failing that, a pointer to a good MFC tutorial
would be most helpful.

I am totally unfamiliar with MFC and Win32 GUI programming, although
I've developed some X-Windows stuff in the distant past.

However, given the excellent tools available, namely python and Mark
Hammond's excellent Windows extensions, I have every faith that the
job can be done without having to go near VC++ (which I can do, but
really don't want to :-)

TIA for any pointers.

Cheers,

Alan.

Mon, 16 Aug 2004 23:47:49 GMT
 Pointers for solving windows GUI problem.
If in the end you do have to use VC++, you might find as I have that it is
actually easier not to use MFC. Charles Petzold's book and Jeffrey
Richter's book opened the door into Win32 API for me. You don't have to go
near MFC in VC++, and you can still build resources using the GUI. So you
don't have to write code, for example, to create a fancy dialog box.

Like you, I am looking for a pure Python/WinGUI solution. AS I just
learned from this group, http://www.activestate.com has Visual Python, but
you have to have Visual Studio .NET for that. That means many $$$ :-(

Spencer Doidge
www.spencerdoidge.com

Quote:
> Greetings all,

> I'm posting this question in the hope that someone has already done
> this, or something similar, and can perhaps direct me some code or a
> tutorial that will shorten the path to a solution.

> I have a Windows COM object which renders a series of images into a
> window. I can control the COM object using provided API methods. I
> don't have the source for the COM object.

> I want to do screen grabs of the display of this window at various
> stages, so that I can dump them to files, in GIF, JPEG or PNG format.

> What I'm looking for is perhaps some sample code that does this or
> something similar. Failing that, a pointer to a good MFC tutorial
> would be most helpful.

> I am totally unfamiliar with MFC and Win32 GUI programming, although
> I've developed some X-Windows stuff in the distant past.

> However, given the excellent tools available, namely Python and Mark
> Hammond's excellent Windows extensions, I have every faith that the
> job can be done without having to go near VC++ (which I can do, but
> really don't want to :-)

> TIA for any pointers.

> Cheers,

> Alan.

Tue, 17 Aug 2004 04:48:55 GMT
 Pointers for solving windows GUI problem.

Quote:

> Like you, I am looking for a pure Python/WinGUI solution. AS I just
> learned from this group, http://www.activestate.com has Visual Python, but
> you have to have Visual Studio .NET for that. That means many $$$ :-(

You do not need Visual Python in order to use the Win32 gui stuff from
ActiveState.  The PythonWin IDE is, in fact, a Python-wrapped MFC
application.  Everything you need to do the same comes with it, as part of the
ActivePython installation (or, I believe, in the win32all extensions).  I've
never *done* this myself, because I find that using wxPython is a higher level
of abstraction than what I remember of C++ Win/MFC programming, and is thus
easier to do -- and has the added benefit of being cross-platform, should I
ever have reason to care about that.  But you can certainly do wrapped-MFC
programming from PythonWin.

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer
Credit International

Tue, 17 Aug 2004 06:07:20 GMT

1. VW starting problem on Windows nearly solved

2. VX-REXX Secondary Window Problem Solved

3. SOLVED: Module and Interfaces - effect on POINTER Arguments

4. Problem embedding multithreaded python into GUI program (Windows)

5. 32bit problem - one problem solved & another found

6. REXX DLL problems solved (was Re: Problems getting C subcommand to work)

7. VRML EAI problems: Java3d solves many portabilty problems of VRML

8. Problems solving a problem with lists

9. Stack overflow problem but increasing stack size does not solve the problem

10. Difficult problem to solve: Tcl 7.3 to Tcl 8.0p2 Array of Array Problem

11. problem solved for C and Tcl7.5 compilation problems

12. dialog windows hiding main GUI window/catching printer error