Mandrake 8.0 and Idle
Author Message
 Mandrake 8.0 and Idle

This is probably strictly a Mandrake question but...
When I launch idle under either Gnome or Kde the text is so
small it's unreadable. It appears to be only idle thats affected
but I'm guessing other Tkinter apps may be affected..

cheers,

Brett

Sun, 16 Nov 2003 18:59:04 GMT
 Mandrake 8.0 and Idle

Quote:
> When I launch idle under either Gnome or Kde the text is so small it's
> unreadable. It appears to be only idle thats affected

Have you tried setting the font in ~/.idle?  Put something like this in
there:

[EditorWindow]
font-size             = 12
font-name             = -Adobe-Courier-Bold-R-Normal--12-120-75-75-M-70-ISO8859-1

Alex.

Sun, 16 Nov 2003 19:54:01 GMT
 Mandrake 8.0 and Idle

    Brett> This is probably strictly a Mandrake question but...  When I
    Brett> launch idle under either Gnome or Kde the text is so small it's
    Brett> unreadable. It appears to be only idle thats affected but I'm
    Brett> guessing other Tkinter apps may be affected..

Dunno if it's strictly a Mandrake problem, but it definitely doesn't just
affect Idle or other Tk apps.  There are plenty of complaints and questions
about font problems on Mandrake-related mailing lists.

--

(847)971-7098

Sun, 16 Nov 2003 21:09:33 GMT
 Mandrake 8.0 and Idle

Quote:

>> When I launch idle under either Gnome or Kde the text is so small it's
>> unreadable. It appears to be only idle thats affected

>Have you tried setting the font in ~/.idle?  Put something like this in
>there:

>[EditorWindow]
>font-size             = 12
>font-name             = -Adobe-Courier-Bold-R-Normal--12-120-75-75-M-70-ISO8859-1

There's also a site-wide config file wherever IDLE got installed
called config-unix.txt.  I've fount the default font choice to be too
small for a "typical" (whatever that means) Linux install. Try 12 as
suggested above, at least as a starting point.

Quality of fonts is another issue entirely, to generalize, most
public-domain fonts aren't very good, and there's quite a bit of work
going on on that, both in making better fonts and in rendering the
ones we do have a bit better.

Mats Wichmann

(Anti-spam stuff: to reply remove the "xyz" from the

Mon, 17 Nov 2003 01:25:26 GMT

1. Mandrake 8, where is IDLE?

2. Lahey LF95 ver 5.5 and Mandrake 8.0

3. Python in Mandrake 8.0 BSDDB broken?

4. TK8.3.2 installation problem on linux mandrake 8.0

5. Using Red Hat 8.0 and IDLE

6. Idle loops - sometimes a little too idle?

7. Idle doesn't Idle

8. 2.3 a1 idle.py vs. idle.pyw

9. Problems with HP-UX 8.0 and Tcl/TK 8.0

10. ANNOUNCE: BLT busy for Windows, Tk 8.0, BLT 8.0 unofficial

11. ANNOUNCE: Tcl 8.0 and Tk 8.0 releases

12. Bug Found in Tcl 8.0/Tk 8.0