JavaScript/ECMAscript in Python?
Author Message
 JavaScript/ECMAscript in Python?

Has anyone implemented a full JS/ES interpreter in Python?

Seems like one could actually compile JS/ES to python byte codes, no? Or are
there deep semantics gulfs to bridge?
--
Cheers!
Chris Ryland, President * Em Software, Inc. * www.emsoftware.com

Mon, 19 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 JavaScript/ECMAscript in Python?

Quote:

>Has anyone implemented a full JS/ES interpreter in Python?

>Seems like one could actually compile JS/ES to Python byte codes, no? Or are
>there deep semantics gulfs to bridge?

Er...what's the point?

The power of Python comes from the language syntax, not the execution engine. Indeed, the need for
the engine at all is one of the biggest handicaps to widespread deployment of object code.

--
Dale Strickland-Clark
Out-Think Ltd

Mon, 19 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 JavaScript/ECMAscript in Python?

Quote:

> >Has anyone implemented a full JS/ES interpreter in Python?

> >Seems like one could actually compile JS/ES to Python byte codes,
no? Or are
> >there deep semantics gulfs to bridge?

> Er...what's the point?

> The power of Python comes from the language syntax, not the execution

engine. Indeed, the need for
Quote:
> the engine at all is one of the biggest handicaps to widespread

deployment of object code.

The "point" is that some XML processors (e.g., XSLT, XSL-FO) need to
support JavaScript as an extension language. So I was wondering, for
those cases, if someone's already done the hard work of porting one of
the free JS interpreters to Python (or even if someone's thought about
it enough to give some free advice).

Cheers!
--Chris Ryland

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Tue, 20 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 JavaScript/ECMAscript in Python?
Quote:

> > >Has anyone implemented a full JS/ES interpreter in Python?

> > >Seems like one could actually compile JS/ES to Python byte codes,
> no? Or are
> > >there deep semantics gulfs to bridge?

> > Er...what's the point?

> > The power of Python comes from the language syntax, not the execution
> engine. Indeed, the need for
> > the engine at all is one of the biggest handicaps to widespread
> deployment of object code.

> The "point" is that some XML processors (e.g., XSLT, XSL-FO) need to

                                                 ^^^^

Quote:
> support JavaScript as an extension language.

No.  Javascript has no special standing as an XSLT extension language.
Python itself is just as valid.  Read the XSLT spec itself for
confirmation.  Actually, the most common XSLT extension language is
Java.

4XSLT, part of 4Suite, is a fully conforming XSLT processor which
supports Python as an extension language.

--
Uche Ogbuji

Wed, 21 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. Javascript /ECMAScript Validator needed

2. Javascript (ECMAscript) read from a file?

3. python vs ecmascript

4. Python, XML and ECMAScript for XML?

5. IE6 +VRML + javascript in VRML trouble (was: problem using javascript window.open in VRML)

6. re : debug ECMAscript?

7. Difference between ECMAScript and VRMLScript ?

8. javascript execution from Python script

9. Python and Javascript

10. Passing SafeArrays from Python to Javascript

11. Javascript + Python...

12. executing JavaScript from Python