Problem installing Python2.1 on RH 7.1
Author Message
 Problem installing Python2.1 on RH 7.1

Hello

I've been trying to install the newest version on RH 7.1. After millions of
dependency errors finally it is installed.

Problem is, although it seems to have been installed correctly (all the
libraries are there, files have been copied etc), I cannot find python in
the path. I thought the -U option in rpm removed the older version -  which
did not happen. All I can find in my path is 1.5.2.

Any help will be appreciated

TIA

Hanna

Tue, 18 Nov 2003 06:34:20 GMT
 Problem installing Python2.1 on RH 7.1
Hanna.... is this the Python 2.1 your talking about as I am after it myself
so that I can install TIX.

Pete

Quote:

> Hello

> I've been trying to install the newest version on RH 7.1. After millions
> of dependency errors finally it is installed.

> Problem is, although it seems to have been installed correctly (all the
> libraries are there, files have been copied etc), I cannot find python in
> the path. I thought the -U option in rpm removed the older version -
> which did not happen. All I can find in my path is 1.5.2.

> Any help will be appreciated

> TIA

> Hanna

Tue, 18 Nov 2003 23:01:01 GMT
 Problem installing Python2.1 on RH 7.1
| Hello
|
| I've been trying to install the newest version on RH 7.1. After millions of
| dependency errors finally it is installed.
|
| Problem is, although it seems to have been installed correctly (all the
| libraries are there, files have been copied etc), I cannot find python in
| the path. I thought the -U option in rpm removed the older version -  which
| did not happen. All I can find in my path is 1.5.2.
|
| Any help will be appreciated

$ find / -name "python*" -print

will show where all the files whose name begins with python are on
your system.  I don't know where the rpms should/would have put the
binary executable.

It is possible that the binary is called python2 or python21.

There is an option to rpm (-l maybe) to list the files that a package
contains.  You could try

$ rpm -l python.rpm | less

and look to see what files it puts where.

-D

Wed, 19 Nov 2003 00:34:25 GMT
 Problem installing Python2.1 on RH 7.1

Quote:
>There is an option to rpm (-l maybe) to list the files that a package
>contains.  You could try

>$ rpm -l python.rpm | less

        Do a ` rpm -qa | grep python ` to find the name of the python
package, then do a `rpm -ql <package.name> to get a list of the files
that the RPM database thinks is there.
http://www.apa.org/journals/psp/psp7761121.html
It is one of the essential features of such incompetence that the person so
afflicted is incapable of knowing that he is incompetent. To have such
knowledge would already be to remedy a good portion of the offense.

Wed, 19 Nov 2003 02:53:58 GMT

1. RH 7.1/Fail upgrading to Python2: Why?

2. python2.1 install problem on redhat 7.1

3. Problem Building Python2.1 on RedHat 7.1

4. Freezing problem with shared libraries in python2.0 under RedHatLinux 7.1

5. FlagShip 4.48 and RH 7.1 (kernel 2.4.2)

6. no RHL 7.1 RPMs for python2.1

7. can't install vw5i.4 on suse 7.1

8. Installing on Mandrake 7.1

9. Problem installing PyGresql in Python 1.5.2-2 on RH 5.0

10. Problem installing module readline for Python2.3a1 on SGI

11. Problem with Menu in VW 7.1

12. ifc 7.1 on SuSE 8.2 64bits linking problem.