Choosing between two Jython books...
Author Message
 Choosing between two Jython books...

I'm a very experienced programmer who knows both python and Java, and I
thought I'd buy just one book on Jython, which sounds like something I'd
like to use.

Which should I get:

        Jython Essentials (Pedroni & Rappin)

or

        Jython for Java Programmers (Bill & Bill)

I'm mainly interested in completeness and rigor... don't need a tutorial
approach.

--Marc

Thu, 08 Dec 2005 09:23:13 GMT
 Choosing between two Jython books...

Quote:

Does <URL: http://www.unixreview.com/documents/s=7822/ur0303f/ > help?
--

Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net
Personal:  http://phaseit.net/claird/home.html

Thu, 08 Dec 2005 09:38:56 GMT
 Choosing between two Jython books...

[snip]

Quote:
> Does <URL: http://www.unixreview.com/documents/s=7822/ur0303f/ > help?

Yes! It helps a lot... thanks!

--Marc

Thu, 08 Dec 2005 10:09:22 GMT
 Choosing between two Jython books...

Quote:

> I'm a very experienced programmer who knows both Python and Java, and I
> thought I'd buy just one book on Jython, which sounds like something I'd
> like to use.

Hi Marc,

Are you the Marc Rochkind who wrote "Advanced Unix Programming"? That was our
course book for a "Systems Programming" course, when I was taking my Comp Sci
degree back in the '80s. That was a great book, clear, concise and highly
informative.

Quote:
> Which should I get: [of two jython books]

I have both books. They were both inexpensive.

Quote:
>         Jython Essentials (Pedroni & Rappin)

I think that this is the more technical of the two books, since it is written by
two people who regularly work on Jython internals. I found it extremely
effective as a reference book, i.e. it contains all of the details that you need
to design and implement jython/java systems.

Quote:
>         Jython for Java Programmers (Bill & Bill)

And this one takes more of a tutorial approach, albeit at a reasonably advanced
level: the target audience is java programmers, so a fair degree of java and
general programming knowledge is assumed.

They both have pretty extensive coverage of jython and how it relates to Java,
but I think that "Essentials" has the edge in terms of completeness of technical
details and in terms of being authoritative.

Quote:
> I'm mainly interested in completeness and rigor... don't need a tutorial
> approach.

If those were my criteria, I would definitely pick "Jython Essentials".

But the thing that *really* taught me about jython and jython/java integration
was using jython to embed a scripting engine inside one of my java applications.
Nothing like a real world tryout.

Best wishes, and welcome to comp.lang.python.

--
alan kennedy
email alan:              http://xhaus.com/mailto/alan

Thu, 08 Dec 2005 19:34:49 GMT
 Choosing between two Jython books...

[snip]

Quote:
> Are you the Marc Rochkind who wrote "Advanced Unix Programming"? That was
> our
> course book for a "Systems Programming" course, when I was taking my Comp
> Sci
> degree back in the '80s. That was a great book, clear, concise and highly
> informative.

Yes... that's me. Thanks for the kind words! I'm working on the 2nd
edition, which is scheduled to be out this Fall.

Thanks for the book advice! My interest in Jython is mainly because then I
can use Swing instead of Tkinter. Because I use Swing with Java, it allows
me to learn only one GUI.

--Marc

Fri, 09 Dec 2005 01:21:03 GMT
 Choosing between two Jython books...

Quote:

>> Are you the Marc Rochkind who wrote "Advanced Unix Programming"?
> Yes... that's me. Thanks for the kind words! I'm working on the 2nd
> edition, which is scheduled to be out this Fall.

That's great, I'll look forward to reading it. I was so impressed with the first
edition that it's the only textbook whose name *and* author I remember from the
University days. (The only other book I remember was "The Dragon Book", by Aho,
Sethi and Ullman(?)).

I'm sure that there'll be lots of new areas in the 2nd edition: if I remember
rightly, Berkeley sockets hadn't been invented when you wrote the first edition

> My interest in Jython is mainly because then I
> can use Swing instead of Tkinter. Because I use Swing with Java, it
> allows me to learn only one GUI.

Ah, that's important information.

"Essential Jython" has a chapter dedicated to Swing: sample apps include a
calculator, an HTML browser/parser and an HTML source viewer.

"Jython for Java Programmers", OTOH, also has a GUI chapter, but it is almost
entirely dedicated to AWT, except for a single page about Swing.

Best wishes,

--
alan kennedy
email alan:              http://xhaus.com/mailto/alan

Fri, 09 Dec 2005 01:49:22 GMT

1. Two Jython Questions

2. Jython Books

3. New book on Zope and Jython

4. Jython book

5. Jython comments; Jython applets

6. read two sets of data from two spread sheet files to two arrays problem

7. Two more books on APL

8. Two Books

9. FS: Two Clipper books

10. help: publishers of two books

11. which of these two book is better....?

12. FS: Two VHDL books